April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. Jan, DC

Two Words: Political Opportunist.

This woman would tell you she killed Hitler just to get elected if people would actually believe it....

April 12, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  2. Rita O'Reilly

HIllary will say anything to get elected we have seen her lie spin and make up things. She's shrill, no more Clinton and there mess Please!!!

April 12, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  3. Monica, Texas

Hillary I hope you are better with a gun then you are bowling...You know the last time you tried you put on the spot. You knocked down 3 pins???? Quick, maybe you just mis-spoke again.

April 12, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  4. Hillarious Clinton

Did she make these comments in her faux-Southern accent too?

April 12, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  5. Dave C - N.J.

Pathetic pandering.

April 12, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  6. No Obama

Just Think!!!
    No experience, Just talk

Can't think what he will do.

No No Obama

April 12, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  7. Ali

This woman is getting more pathetic each day. She is really clinging to whatever little thing she can find! Just go away Hilly

April 12, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  8. Ed

Clinton is twisting Obama's words...most people won't buy it. If
    Obama wanted to he could "crawl" down in the gutter with her
    and sling plenty of mud at her. She might as well give up...either
    now or later...it doesn't matter...she is done....

April 12, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  9. Alice

I long for the day that this woman realizes her dream is over. There will be no coronation, Hillary. Many of us are just so sick of your pandering and lying about your "experience".

April 12, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  10. Deborah

Hillary Rotten Clinton

We really don't care about your lying opinions any more

Liar Liar pantsuits on fire!!!

April 12, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  11. Allen in NC

To the good people of Indiana…. The homestate of my lovely wife, Go jump in your cars. Ride around your county, Look at the plants, factorys, the jobs that no longer exsist. The jobs that used to be your's, mine, They are gone over seas to other countrys. Countrys that make the same products that we the american people used to make an income here at home… AMERICA!!!

The same products that we had, no doubt that if our children play with these toys we didn't have to wrorry if our child is going to get lead piosioning? The same products that we never had to think about, is this dog food going to kill my pets?….

The very same thing that was american made and american approved…. GONE!!! Gone because of politicians, Politicians such as the Clintons. Politicians that can deposit 800,000 tax payers out sourced jobs into a joint account. Polticians that can then turn around and in the same breath tell the amerian people that I/Hillary don't approve of my husbands NAFTA.

Then sit down and think to yourselfs a while…. Do I really want more of having nothing? No jobs? More NFATA?

It's up to us Indiana, Pennsylvania, North Carolina. It's up to all thoses states that were told that you don't matter. It's up to all the americans that feel like they have been lied to. It's up to,

"WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"

April 12, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  12. Yvonne

I hope Obama doesn't choose Hillary as his VP because if she likes guns, he'd have to be careful around her. Lord protect him.

April 12, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  13. G from the ATL

Just like the guns she used defending troops against Bosnian sniper fire.

April 12, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  14. Michael

I figured the mainstream media would figure out a way to spin this so it is Clinton's fault that Obama said PA small townsmen are "bitter". Doesn't suprise the least. All she was saying is that guns are a past time for some people. That doesn't mean she can't support strengthing gun laws. She supports the 2nd Ammendment but also supports strengthing gun laws. Sounds smart to me. I'm sure people will continue the spin though. Between this bitter comment and the Jeremiah Wright contreversy Obama has NO CHANCE against McCain come November.

GO HILLARY 08

April 12, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  15. Dina

You have GOT to be kidding me right?????? P-A-N-D-E-R. All she does is say what people WANT to hear instead of what she really feels. What does this woman stand for? Seriously, what? She's so opportunistic and disingenuous. It's scary.

April 12, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  16. Observer

Good grief Hillary, another far-fetched anecdote! Next, you will tell us you had to dodge sniper fire out behind you dad's cottage. I believe you would tell us anything whatsoever to get elected.
    Hillary, maybe you and Obama need to have a skeet contest to see who has the best marksmanship. You already failed to even up the bowling score, so this contest would likely be a comedy as well. I'll stay far away.

April 12, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  17. Bajanluv, Newport Newss

Oh dear Jesus. Go ahead–overplay. Last time she told the story it was Ak where she was shooting.

April 12, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  18. Phyllis, Dallas TX

What a bunch of BS. Talk about someone trying to be all to all people.

April 12, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  19. Paulette, Cincinnati, Ohio

Tell it like it is Hillary. Obama is a scary man that I fear needs ANOTHER Vacation while Hillary keeps going and going. There is nothing between Obama's ears and I think that speaks for itself. Don't forget to take Michelle with you.
    VOTE 'HILLARY '08" OR "MCCAIN '08"

April 12, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  20. Shannon

Now Obama is sorry again, the man is such a fraud. He and his wife know nothing about the average American. To them, we are just "typical" white people. They seem to have a deep disdain for us, and the politics of hope and change seem to be pretty shallow!

April 12, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  21. Walt, Belton,TX

Just one more trip down a fake memory lane........................

I do love Hillary's new campaign slogan though: "Just tell me what you want to hear!"

April 12, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  22. Bren

You know, Hillary, you're a liar. And, you know, you wouldn't know the truth if it hit you upside the head. Furthermore, you know, people ARE bitter over many things having to do with politics...

...like, you know, people who make hundreds of thousands of dollars covertly and overtly supporting one thing while, you know, declaring publically that they don't.

Which is why, you know, you're on my last freakin' nerve.

April 12, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  23. Riteaidbob

Why do I have this feeling deep in my belly that a week from now we will learn that this too is a BIG FAT LIE? I don't believe a word that comes out of this womens mouth.

Behind the barn gun shooting my butt. Does she have plans to dress up in camo and "get me one of them there huntin' lic."?

April 12, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  24. jab

What? I know how to shoot a gun but that doesn't make me qualified to be president? And I've never been priviledged to have a second home by the shore.

April 12, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  25. Ifeanyi Azubike Houston Texas

Is this another fib. She has the propensity to manufacture stories. Also, if she misspoke about Bosnia, isn't it ok to accept that Obama to can misspeak. what is good for the goose.......

April 12, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |