April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. Sue

She has blown this way out of proporation. This is not about race religion or guns. It is about bitterness because the American people were sold down the river and it started with Hillary Clinton and NAFTA. She still has not answered all the legitimate questions put to her, and she blows this way out because she does not know how to be honest, unless it lines her and Bill's pockets.

April 12, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  2. vince - phoenix

WHAT a contrived, MANUFACTURED non-issue...

What he said was CORRECT. And anyone stupid enough to be offended by it, is too stupid to know that THEY, themselves ARE bitter!

(and you say BLACKS are hypersensitive) !!!

GEEZ.....

Do you really think this is anything other than "pounce" on "true" statement; make a BIG deal of it, and MAYBE people will FORGET that BILL GOT $800,000 to plug a trade agreement that his wife'd against.

I truly would have thought that Hillary's inability to answer a question of "conflict of interest" would be an ACTUAL story.

My frustration with this country is showing in this writing. Just when I didn't think our citizens could not be any more stupid (i.e. 8 yrs of bush)... THIS (A FREAKING.....TRUE.... STATEMENT...) gets more than a casual glance..... (i weep for this country...)

April 12, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  3. Amy from Michigan

This is news? I guess after 8 stories in a row about the word "bitter," this is an improvement CNN.
    Obama 08'

April 12, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  4. Independent Now for Integrity and humility in Politics = Obama

What kind of people actually eat this crap up? If this type of remark from clinton about her having gun experience will make you more likely to vote for her....you have issues. People who are educated can see right through Hillary's vote angling. She is pathetic and should drop out of this race.

April 12, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  5. SMB

“I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Is that like, "I was against the war before I voted for it"? Or, "I was under (potential) sniper fire"? Or, "I lobbied for NAFTA before I was against it"?

Someone please photoshop a pic of Hillary as Elmer Fudd. Please.

April 12, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  6. Shannon from Washington

I wish Clinton would spend this much energy straightening out her own life. Obama has ALWAYS been a firm and on the record strong supporter of the second ammendment. This is an argument she is using to distract from the fact she is living off the Columbian government through her husbands business income.

April 12, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  7. Scott

Ah yes, nice to see Obama exposed once again as the hypocrite he is. His supporters are the Stepford Supporters: willing to unblinkingly follow along and agree with everything he says. They just won't admit that maybe he's not everything they think he is.

April 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  8. Eve

Maybe she should go duck hunting with Cheney!

April 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  9. Mom Dem

Are you not posting my comments because you hope to plagiarize them? I keep records and copyright all of all my writings, just so you know...

April 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  10. Franky

I gotta say real quick guys, those bobbleheads are cool to say the least, LOL!!!! Pretty clever I gotta say.....LOL!!

April 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  11. abp

Hillary,
    Talk about something important. You got enough mileage out of "bitter".
    Give it a rest. GROW UP!!!!!!

April 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  12. Jack, Michigan

Given her experience with guns, I wonder if Hillary was packing when the snipers shot at her.

April 12, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  13. John in KY

All the way Hillary to the DNC!!
    Go Hillary 08!

April 12, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  14. Kevin M

What Obama said was true. Economic despair leads voters to vote on issues like gun control and religious issues rather the economic ones. After 8 years of economic prosperity under Bill, It's a good guess that Bush wasn't elected twice because they wanted better jobs. It's a tough road when saying you want to help out of work people in PA leads to a controversy this big. I don't envy Obama.

April 12, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  15. Sam11966

Sen. Clinton does not have lot of credibility.... Its quite possible that she might be making this up to get vote.... Whereas, Sen. Obama has tried to paint large swathe of people with same brush... but has lot more credibility.... Now this poses difficult choice for democratic voters.... whether they want to go with inexperienced but honest Barack or experienced but not so credible Hillary.?

Personally, I will go with Barack as in my opinion he can improve upon world view and gain more experience but Hillary is beyond correction... she has shown in the course of campaign that she has very serious character flaws and we cannot afford it in this critical junctur in our polity

April 12, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  16. 24 white male

hillary i like your policies but my goodness you are so cold and calculating. you've been waiting for any little thing to pounce on for the last couple weeks and you finally got it. it's so sad that this is the only way you can drag this process out.

i honestly can't relate to anyone who doesn't comprehend how special and unique of a candidate barack obama is.

April 12, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  17. abp

Hillary,
    Talk about something important. You got enough mileage out of "bitter".
    Give it a rest. GROW UP!!!!!!

April 12, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  18. kevin

Better check that fond memory.Was there a cottage,a lake ,any ducks?

April 12, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  19. Ellie in Aurora, CO

Can we really believe this story? Or did Hill "misspeak"? Her memory on something as recent as the Bosnia trip was not accurate, so can we really trust her memory of childhood?

April 12, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  20. Bill-S

Hmmm. We are still wondering who shot Vince Foster.

April 12, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  21. Harrier

Oh, for Christ's sake, Clinton, you're taking it too far.

April 12, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  22. kk VA

Another lie from the Hillster

April 12, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  23. Powered by the People

McCain sound like Hillary's puppet.

LOL

Obama or Hillary will crush him in general election.

either will gain 70% of the others votes

Win, 08

April 12, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  24. the point

Plus, Obama apparently thinks he can unite people by dividing them into "types"- typical white people, now blue collar outsiders.

This in itself is weird. I thought we were all Americans with somewhat different lifestyles but generally similar and inclusive values.

Now the uniter keeps dividing us.

He analyzes too much and doesn't DO enough.

April 12, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  25. Sternberg

It is a good thing she knows how to shoot. She almost had to shoot her way into Bosnia.

April 12, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |