April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. WorldSportsDaily

I find it quite troubling how viscious this democratic primary is ending up to be. Hillary Clinton seems to be making up stories in my opinion,just to attack at Barack Obama's latest comments.

April 12, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  2. Matt

Maybe she got these childhood memories confused with her trip to Bosnia, things do get jumbled on the campaing trail. But seriously, are any presidential candidates really not elitists. I think you would have to be in order to believe your smart enough to run an entire country. Politicians calling each other elitists is pretty comical.

April 12, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  3. RufusVonDufus

How about this lie! Just another one told by the Queen of the Lie, Hillary Rodham Clinton! She will say whatever she thinks she needs to say at the time. She used to be big time for gun control, but I guess she MISunderstood what control meant. Obama was right, I am bitter–bitter toward the lying Clintons. If you people in PA vote for her you have not done any homework at all. Both her and her pervert–Ah feeeel your payeeen–husband. PA has the wonderful opportunity of putting this farce to rest by not voting for the liars. Vote Obama, please and end this joke.

April 12, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  4. ddorsey

There is a typo here: “You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught be how to shoot when I was a little girl,”

April 12, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  5. Susan MO

I agree with Clinton.

April 12, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Hmmm..... completely pointless and not answering the woman's question? Maybe Bill should shoot you in the foot with his gun while practice.

April 12, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  7. Lisa

What? Why can't she talk about issues? Not Obama.

She can't make a speech without mentioning his name. She can't have a conversation without saying something that he might have done wrong. She surrounds her attention around his policies more than her own policies

She's making him number one, unconsciously. Now I'm wondering if she dreams about him.

She is too simple to be the President of the United States. Can't answer complicated questions on her own without someone writing scripts for her to answer.

April 12, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  8. Anonymous

yukkk!

April 12, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  9. Who Me

Good thing she didn't have one when she found out that Bill had cheated on her. This would have been the first Whitehouse murder.

Anything to win the voters. Are we that dumb that we can be distracted from the real issues by Hillary and Barak. One day it is bowling the next selling ice cream.

Let us know when the campaign starts before we fall to sleep.

April 12, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  10. Joey D

She is so fake, so is McCain. It tells me how scared they really are about Obama if they jump on this stupid comment. The media has hyped this comment up and the candidates are trying to push it. Sorry but it's not going to do any damage.

April 12, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  11. JULIE

Well now it makes sense, FYI obama swore into office on their FAMILY bible, it was not the HOLY bible it was the KORAN, I would like the media to ask him.

April 12, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  12. Mom Dem

Exhibit B.2
    In fact, the republicans are always trying to cut the very programs that could break the vicious circle in which these people are caught (welfare, medicare, universal health care).

April 12, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  13. Shirley

Hillary is right on. I'm sorry for the loss of life and limbs that have happened becuase of the people who use firearms and other means to hurt themselves and others. They were not created for abuse. (Ask our founding fathers.)

April 12, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  14. D.D.

Not like Mrs. Huckabee, Senator Clinton.

April 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  15. s.positive

Experience my foot

April 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  16. Hillary

Why does Obama think American workers are bitter HA HA CACKLE. I made a Hundred and nine million dollars from corporate lobby groups and I am not bitter HA HA HA HA. If American workers can not afford gas and food then LET THEM EAT CAKE! HA HA CACKLE HA HA! And oh yeah. Obama is an Elitist. How many Obamas can dance on the head of a pin? HA HA HA HA

April 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  17. Sniper Fire

Hillary please stop trying to pander to the NRA! You also said that you knew about SNIPER FIRE in Bosnia!

April 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  18. prakash chand

Good job ,this is your chance Hillary ,nail him and seal the deal.

April 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  19. David

Hillary said, Pennsylvania needs someone "...who works hard for your futures, your jobs, your families.”

Is that why, Hillary, your chief advisor is making backdoor deals with Columbian government to ship our jobs to them?

HILLARY "sniper-fire" CLINTON IS A CHYPOCRITE AND A LIAR. SHE IS TOO DARN SELFISH TO DO ANYTHING GOOD FOR THIS COUNTRY.

April 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  20. Kimay

Go Hillary!!

April 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  21. Steve

Excellent!,

I hear the NRA needs a new President!

-maybe that's what she should be doing!

April 12, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  22. Nando

Spin it all you want to Hillary , you and Bill pushed for Nafta you voted for the war and also you and your husband have for 35yrs made money on these poor uneducated people that voted for your husband. And you lied about BOSNIA not mispoke you outright told the biggest lie you could come up with. Obama will be president because we are tired of the elite like yourselves and Mccain and Bush's rule this countey this is not a Monarchy we will burn it to the ground before we let you back in the WHITEHOUSE!

April 12, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  23. Frank

She sure knows her guns with all that sniper fire that she's been up against!

April 12, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  24. Val

Leave your personal stories out of it Hillary, they only get you into trouble. When are you going to learn, girl?

I gotta tell you folks, McCain is looking better and better every day.

Good luck in GE, Democrats.

McCain / Romney 08!

April 12, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  25. jay

So now Hillary tells a story about her father teaching her how to shoot a gun......now.....should I believe THIS story or not? You know the former first lady seems to have a problem remembering things accurately. I am tired of her crap and I am BITTER, yes I will certainly use the word that Obama used, I am BITTER with how this campaign is going and I am BITTER that I had to pay $3.59 a gallon for gas, when the former first lady and her husband, the former president have made money hand over fist the past nine years....and now the story about the vice president making millions over the past year.....yes, Mr. Obama I am BITTER and you have the permission of this American to say just that...some Americans are bitter about the entire situation in this country.

April 12, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |