April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. Jen

Sorry but I dont agree with Hillary on this issue and making such a huge deal of it. I am BITTER!! I am ANGRY!! I am down about the American Government and how it is being run today and the past years since the Clinton ERA! I dont think the government is working for the american people at all.

Obama keep on doing what your doing... your not trying to tell people what they want to hear (lies) your telling the truth and putting it all out there honestly. Just many people just dont want to hear it because they are blind and dont have much common sense. I am all for it. I totally believe it too. I know its true.

April 12, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  2. Jay from MA

I hope this isn't one those memories that never happened. You know she good for coming up with false memories.

April 12, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  3. pam,s.c.

hills how are you going to beat john mccain if you can't beat obama?

April 12, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  4. brad

Good God. Pandering to the first degree.

April 12, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  5. LD

Hillary, stop bothering Obama. You speak about experience, you hurt yourself. You speak about the Bosnia Trip, you kill youself. You lie and mislead voters of OH and TX about NAFTA.

Now, you and your liar Staff try to complicate an important remark made by Sen. Obama. Do you still need to lie, mislead and say sorry because you mispoke ? Ma'am, it is now time to stop. No more disgrace and no more Clinton at the White House. It does not work like that. Bush-Cilnton and Clinton-Bush and now you want to impose us a Bush-Clinton again ? No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

April 12, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  6. Disgusted

What does Hilliary and her cohorts think the entire public is...stupid? I am disgusted at her lying attempts to spin anything Obama has to say. I have loss any once of repect I've had for her. Obama did not board the plane after an election loss without thanking his supportors. Thats called respect and humility. Hilliary in her arrogant high and all-mighty snobbish style left states she loss in without as much syaing good'bye. The hypocrisy and desparation is sooooo obvious. Continue to stand strong among both sharks...Hilliary and the Republican McBush. I do not know of any candidate in my life time having to fight off people in his own party and competing party during the primaries. Hilliary, you disgust millions of people!

April 12, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  7. Becky in Indiana

Just like senator Clinton to take three words of Obama to twist the meaning. Taken in context, he is explaining the frustration and the lack of security due to the outsourcing of jobs due to NAFTA. She may not support it now but she cant erase the past.

April 12, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  8. Danny C

You can bet whenever she starts with "you know," taht we are gonna get another whopper.

April 12, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  9. Independent

Obama's mindless ramblings the other day, connecting guns with anger and bitterness is totally off the wall! He's insinuating that only bitter, mad and crazy people run out to buy guns out of frustration.... that they must be mentally unbalanced! That is a totally irresponsible!

That sure doesn't describe my father who was born and raised there, or my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. He's being horrendously offensive, and so far, his "I regret" doesn't cut it
    as an apology. NOT AT ALL.

The more Obama is out there, the less we like him. We're seeing that he's no more than AN EMPTY SUIT!

April 12, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  10. CY from a non democratic country

I am a Clinton supporter but at this time I truly think that I am coming to despise them….are you kidding me..this story just broke last night and they are already running to the superdelegates to hold this against him…this is the last straw for me…they've sunk so low that I cannot in good conscience vote for someone that is this vicious. Her husband and chief strategist are taking money for free trade and the Obama camp hasn't said that much about..they've mostly stayed out of this huge betrayal…For them to go to the superdelegate already about what Obama said that is justifiable correct is beyond belief…And yes, I and everyone else that I know is BITTER about the way the government has betrayed us. The Clintons has not only lost my vote…they've lost my respect…They are the most divisive people in this world and they would rather burn down the whole democratic party than lose this nomination. I've given them the benefit of the doubt till now but I am done with them. Just for the record I am extremely BITTER with them now.

April 12, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  11. Charle/Amsterdam, Netherlands

It is hilarious to watch American politics from the outside. The politicians, the media and from the many comments I read also the voters are about to cricify Obama over poor choice of words, while ignoring the real problem he was trying to address. And you seem to side with a flatout lier and a war loving man who has no clue about the economy. This is really beginning to look like a replay of the last days of Christ. Almost 2000 years ago, people prefered a murderer over a man who was trying to lift them up and who wasn't afraid to say some painful truths. I fear that the narrowminded citizens of America are about to repeat that. too bad you prefer a soap opera over a real debate on the issues that are at stake. But then again, politics all over the world is just show and the USA is famous for its blockbusters.

April 12, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  12. DON SNEED

This nation needs to spend as much money on gun education for children as we do for Driver Education! Both items if used improperly
    kill! As as child growing up I had a rifle at age of 10 but was taught how to handle it and when to shoot it and when not!

April 12, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  13. KE

"People cling to guns and religion because of bitterness". Not this is Obama's view.

One of the reasons why America never turned to Communism is largely because of America's strong religious roots. American people didn't need ideology to replace thier God and the inspiration. And under the constitution, people of different faith are living in the neighborhood without going against each other despite of strong religious background. That's the strength of America and how democracy works in America. Also Americans don't cling to guns becasue of bitterness.

How can he run the country without understanding two major part of America that is important.

April 12, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  14. ty

I really use to be a supporter of hillary clinton but after so many negative comments from her i have really decided not to vote for her, i will vote for any one else but her.

April 12, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  15. Honest Abe

with gun incidents on the rise...
    V-Tech, Columbine, tons of others school shootings, gang shootings, armed robberies, etc...

All she can say is 'My daddy taught me how to pull a trigger behind the shed' That sounds kind of freaky also.

But I would bet my retirement that she was lying about that too!

April 12, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  16. David Kolva, MD

Don't the bobble-heads look like Conservative Radio host Laura Ingraham? I wonder if they were made in China?

April 12, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  17. Dawn

VERY SCARY!!!!

This lady is from everywhere there is a primary. Now she is Dick Cheney. Wow. America please don't fall for this crap!

April 12, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  18. Sam

"It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. " Is shooting and hunting part of the culture and a way of life for Clinton. That explains why she voted to go on war with IRAQ. Shooting and hunting iraqi's and innocent civilians is a part Clinton and Bush culture. I hope that is not a part of entire country's culture.

April 12, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  19. Chris Robertson

Oh please... is this some type of sick joke?

April 12, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  20. JT

Okay. How about this? If you're not "bitter" for whatever reason vote Hillary or McCain. If you're "bitter" then vote Obama. But whatever you do don't let the candidates define the word "bitter" for you.

Two of these people are very rich and who actually will be president or what condition the economy is in will not hit them as hard as it will most of the people allowing themselves to get caught up in this nonsense.

Remember argument over "denounce" and "reject"? What a waste of breath.

April 12, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  21. Jon, Tulsa, OK

"And there – right there in Lake Winola – there were snipers perched in the trees... I had to run for cover. No, wait – I fired BACK at the snipers! It was 3 AM, and I knew what to do... or was it 9 AM?!"

April 12, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  22. Slowpoke

I thought she was extremely against guns before and worked for measures to fight them. "For the families".

While I support families as well, of course, her other pro-family measures were for things like banning violent video games and other entertainment. I thought this was a free country?

April 12, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  23. Black in texas

THE MEDIA STUFF OBAMA DOWN OUR THROAT EVERY DAY,AND A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF BLACKS LOVE HIM BECAUSE HE IS BLACK(1/2).THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SUPERDELEGATES ARE AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE ELECTORAL COLLAGE PROCESS. I SEE IT DAILY, HE OUR BROTHER. HOGWASH, FOR HIM TO SAY HE WILL NOT SEPARATE HIMSELF FROM REV. WHATHISNAME.BUT DID NOT GO TO MEMPHIS LAST WEEK TO HONOR DR. KING AND BE IN THE SAME ROOM WITH PEOPLE THAT WAS IN THE MOVEMENT AND MADE IT POSSIBLE TO DO WHAT HE IS DOING IS NOT FOR ME.

THESE LAWYERS,PREACHERS,POLITICAL PEOPLE AND NEWS PEOPLE EARN THEIR LOVING TALKING BUT AS SOON AS THEIR LIES ARE FOUND OUT THEY ARE TAKEN OUT CONTEXT HOGWASH.

April 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  24. Nate in Mpls

Bitter is the top news story of the past 48 hours. Are. You. Kidding. Me.

April 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  25. LaTonya M.

I have a comment to make about Sen .Barack Obama's speech and the use of the word bitter. I feel that the word explains me and just about every other American that has t live paycheck to paycheck, and wonder if we are gonna have a house to live in or if they are gonna cut medical insurance or even when we retire will there be any money . Yes I am bitter because America is suppose to be the land of oppurtunity and yes it is the rich get richer and the poor get poorer,And if Sen. Clinton and Sen.Mccain don't realize that then they are just as out of touch as President Bush. BITTER IS FORECLOSURE, NO MEDICAL INSURANCE,HIGH UTLITY BILL, HIGH FOOD PRICES, NO SSI, JOB RELOCATION,JOB SHUTTING DOWN,JOB LAYING OFF, HIGH PROPERTY TAXES, And if there are Americans who are going through this and say they are not bitter then they are telling a lie to themselves. YES THEY ARE !!!!!!!!!!!

April 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |