April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. dorothy

HRC is that the truth she lie so much

April 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  2. C G in Texas

Yikes ~ Will she cling to ANYTHING to get VOTES... No More Billary...

April 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  3. Jasmine

Bill lied when he was in office and everything that comes out of Hillary's mouth now is a lie. She needs to move out of the way. No one wants a liar for a president, so that definitely eliminates the 2008 tag time Hillary and Bill.

April 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  4. N Harkinson

OMG! Takes me back to John Kerry's little appearance in duck hunting garb. Mrs. Clinton here takes pandering to a new level. Will someone please put her out of her electoral misery?

April 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  5. Lee From Treasure Island Florida

My mother, a Canadian Immigrant taught me to shoot a rifle, but first I was taught morals and values. Number 1 in our house was never to lie. You see, my mother thought, that if you never lied it was difficult to committ many of the other sins. Clinton seems to be missed this lesson apparently as she twist Obama's words, which is lying and also spreading false witness against thy neighbor. Not to mention how she and Bill have ran this campaign and his Presidency. Obama not once mentioned Bosnia, when he could of sang from the roof the tops, nor did he dance on about Penn, CAFTA and Bill accepting lobbyist monies from Colombians too...He stayed on his own stump.
    People don't notice that...or do they? My mother would of admired this man, and would not have found much fault in any of his words.

April 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  6. DPP

If we're not "bitter" why is the current president's approval rating at 28%?

April 12, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  7. David

What a flip-flop! Hillary will say anything to get elected.

April 12, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  8. BR

here we go again...the deperation is exhausting.

April 12, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  9. Kenneth M.

Hillary is purposely misunderstanding Obama because she is getting desperate. She knows his real point was that section of the country has been left behind during Bush 1, Clinton, and Bush 3 presidencies.

Instead of fighting he on the truth of the matter by saying Clinton worked hard for that section and here is what he did, she is trying to focus on the word bitter and use it against him. Same thing with McCain; why does he not list the things the Rep party has done for small town America as that is the real point.

No mater, only those who would not have voted for him in the first place will have an issue with this.

April 12, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  10. For Obama

Dont apologize Obama for being real and honest

April 12, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  11. Michael

She sounds more and more like a Republican each and every day.

Sad.

April 12, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  12. NOT BITTER BUT PISSED OFF PA DEMOCRAT !!

UMMM RURAL PENNSYLVANIA IS MOSTLY AMISH!! THEY DONT HAVE GUNS AND THEY ARE THE MOST PEACEFUL QUIET PEOPLE YOU WILL EVER ENCOUNTER!!!! WHO DOES OBAMA THINKS HE IS?? DOES HE KNOW HE IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES with everything at stake including PA???? This isnt winning Oprah book of the month club!!! GUN TOTING??? I am living in PA right now and I dont own a gun and nobody I know does!!! I think his comment is so out of touch with what PA represents! I mean is he serious? We have real jobs and if he wants to talk about religion we have all of them from Hindu to Hebrew. PA is a collage of different cultures and religions. We are rich in not only culture but history. 300-500k houses are going like hot cakes around me so I dont know what he is talking about. We are a hub for manufacturing because of our close proximity to ports but yes have lost jobs to overseas but so has every other state!!! We have some of the best Hospitals and Universities in the country. Its a great place to live! He better learn how to speak because he will lose BIG in PA !!!

April 12, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  13. foday

It is a same that when Obama say things the media and Hillary supporter jump all over it. CNN and Hillary herself if any of you have lost your homes and your job due to this economic crisis what will you do? I guess you will all be happy going down the street dancing and singing that you are happy because you have lost your job and your homes. Talk about Guns Obama did not say people use gun to kill because they are bitter or angry. Less call a spade a spade when you lost every thing you cling to things that you think will bring you happiness I don't care what it is. At the time of crisis is when most people call on the name of God. How many times you Governors have gone to church every day or on sunday. What about CNN reporter and Hillary? I myself will not take myself out of this. Jesus said all you hypocrite first take the dirt out of
    your eyes then you will able to see to take the dirt out of your brothers eyes. I hope CNN will post my comment. Please CNN, Hillary, Governors who support Hillary please make a contribution and save people from losing their home and their jobs to make them happy instead of them to be angry and bitter because they have lost their homes and their job. Let us all be happy, sing and dance again.

April 12, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  14. aaron

i wonder why she didn't return the sniper fire in Bosnia....

liar
    i can not trust any words out of this woman's mouth.

she will NEVER have my vote.

April 12, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  15. Ronald L. Betts

"Hope" never solved a math problem.

April 12, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  16. Raul Dominguez

I find Peter Hamby's blog about Sen. Bayh one sided. Where is the balance in his reporting and producing. Obama has made a comment, but Sen. Clinton and Bayh have turned this into a major scandal when he is giving an honest opinion of Americans' feelings. Mr Hamby and other reporters need to question her statements as well. With all the people she has met, no one has sounded bitter, upset, frustrated by their financial or social situation? If everyone's ok, then why run for office.

April 12, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  17. Renee day

She Has a lot nerve with all the lies she has told. Yeah you know about sniper fire too. Elite she is, elite she will always be. How many people did you know back then that had a summer cottage. She is so out of touch.

April 12, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  18. Barbara

Obama spoke the truth, and we in the midwest (I'm in Michigan) a politician who levels with the American people. I'm surprised that the journalists and pundits are so isolated from unhip, uncool, unslick America

April 12, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  19. Kareem

Senator McCain and Senator Clinton don’t really care about small town America they care about making you believe they care about small town America. Senator McCain and Senator Clinton both have been in Washington for over 20 years they always hammer Obama on his lack of experience, but where was their leadership and experience in helping small town America during the past 20 years. This recession that the country is in didn’t happen overnight it happen on the “experience leader’s watch”. The only time they care about small town America is when they are looking to get elected, they didn’t visit Ohio, Michigan or Pennsylvania and speak out when factories were being closed and jobs were being moved over seas. Don’t believe the spin Senator McCain and Senator Clinton aren’t for small town America because they aren’t for America. President Bush + Senator McCain + Senator Clinton X Washington, DC = Recession for AMERICA. Vote Obama 08!!!!

April 12, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  20. Peg

Im one of the angry Americans... Obama spoke about...I know there is more of us out there, He knows that too. He is in touch with us. Offering us all hope for the Future. Are we going to turn our backs because Obama told us the truth? Or continue to believe in the lies of Hillary or John Mccain?

April 12, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  21. Steve

Well , Obama disclosed what he thinks about small town America . The Clinton circus gets more unbelievable every time Bill or Hillary open theirs mouths. Hillary a gun enthusiast ? Gimme a break. Seroiusly, give thanks to those three for the next Presidnt, John McCain.

April 12, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  22. J. Mackey, Hamptons

. . . .Hillary's biggest gun is her double barreled mouth. She often
    shoots it off while at the same time managing to shoot herself in the foot.

April 12, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  23. Christopher Williams NYC

Please!!!!, now Hillary Clinton is a champion of Second amendment rights? What a joke!!! Her campaign has proven that she would do or say anything to win. When she lost in Iowa, she cried. Where were those tears for the 4,000 plus dead soldiers in Iraq? Mind you a war she voted to authorize. Where were those tears for the Katrina victims? America wake up!!! The Clintons made $109 million dollars over the last eight years!!! That would definitely qualify them as the "elite" 1% of this country. And finally how can we trust her to run this great country of ours if she can't even run her campaign team? Mark Penn's resignation, and the financial mismanagement which forced her to "loan" her campaign $5 million dollars are just a few examples.

April 12, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  24. Venus The Starr

I'm happy that she is commenting on Obamas words about hard working Americans. Obama says that we result to guns when times are tough, well we are not ignorant. I'm tired and upset of people who look down on hard working Americans. Why should we vote for someone who can look at us in the face and bluntly say, you don't know how to help yourself without picking up a gun. This is an outrage and it take away the meaning of his entire campaign away

April 12, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  25. Bernie Moore-Knowles

HRC? You remind me of the caddy on 'Caddy Shack.' "I have often thought of being a................"

Give it up, nerd woman. Give it up.

Bernie Moore-Knowles