April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. Slwhndfan

This is ridiculous. Instead of spending all this time on whether Sen. Clinton actually had to dodge bullets at an airport or Sen. Obama should have used different words to make his point, why can't we actually deal with the issues that matter? I find many things the candidates say either stupid or offensive – they are after all people and we all make those same mistakes. What I care about are the issues. Stop all the posturing and politicing and get to what really counts!

April 12, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  2. Brent

Good God...Hillary's STILL on the "bitter" comment? I wonder if she was "optimistic" and "resilient" the day she found out her husband was cheating on her with an intern? 'Cause I KNOW she wasn't....bitter. Instead, she kills ducks. Sheesh..

April 12, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  3. bill pike

OH MY GOD, CLINTON IS UNDER FIRE AGAIN. isn't it interesting that every time she can gossip she does and we go back to the lies about the lies that lied. I am small town, businessman, vet, pentecostal, family in politics, original founder in texas for the religious round table with ed mcenteer and i say–how can this country change with more of the clintons who shamed us more than any president outside of nixon. PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHILE YOU ARE UNDER FIRE.

April 12, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  4. Dan A

Hey Hillary–where is Bill ???? Oh thats right –he is with Monica tonight

April 12, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  5. Alice

yes,of course – that's how you defended yourself against sniper fire...

April 12, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  6. Barbara

Oh my god, she is awful, just an opportunist. Instead of realizing that people are bitter and engaging in a dialogue about that, she is trying to score political points. She has run a terrible campaign, has not paid her bills to many vendors and now this. Oh my god, I will die if Hillary gets the nomination.

April 12, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  7. laur

Really, Hillary............or are you remembering ducking again, behind your cottage?

April 12, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  8. VICKI

Oh Hillary your are so grasping!!! I feel so sorry for you!!! You just don't get it do you????

April 12, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  9. Alec Davidson

Of course Hillary knows guns, that's how she knew she was under fire in Bosnia!!!!

April 12, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  10. Ted

Now we know why she got a few rounds in when she was running from sniper fire. Yes dodging bullets and returning fire at the same time.

Wow! What a president!

April 12, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  11. Vig

I'll take Annie Oakley over an elitist, racist sympathizer any day.

April 12, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  12. ConsDemo

Sure Shillary knows about guns. Why didn't she say she landed in Bosnia taking sniper fire. That told her everything she needed to know. Hillary always tells the truth! Whatever she says, it must be true!

April 12, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  13. georgia jones

Has anyone checked her voting record on guns. She doesn't stop lying and you guys give her such a break. It is a sad commentary on American journalism. Barack makes a serious but truthful statement of the plight of many and you go after him for telling the truth. Please stop this madness.

April 12, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  14. TR

I will vote for Hillary 2008 ONLY!

April 12, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  15. Tell It Like It Is

Clinton's stories are her downfall; and then there's Bill digging holes on the campaign trail.

April 12, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  16. E Byers, Asheville NC

NO MORE HILLARY CNN!!!

April 12, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  17. bryan

i kind of wish hillary had touted her experience with guns by referring to the time she had to dodge sniper fire.. oh.. wait...

April 12, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  18. Bond

Typical Hillary, changing her positions when they are politically advantageous... how about pushing for strict gun control in '99? What a joke.

Interesting that CNN has decided to put 8 articles about Obama's "bitter" comment on this political ticker page!!! Nice balanced reporting CNN. Your .com editor should be fired!!!

April 12, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  19. James

Obama's whole dialog is judged by the use of the one word. Rev. Wright's whole minitery life came down to a few seconds. Each tme the network news folks make it the topic of the campaign. I guess the use of the word bitter is easier to talk about than how hundreds of women and children can be enslaved in a compound in TX for years. Enslaved in the very state our president spends his vacations. We don't want to tackle this kind of religious issue. Let's talk about how happy we are to role up our sleeves and keep watching our jobs go overseas, and our kids die in Iraq and our citizens loose their homes to foreclosure.

Trust me people, we should not only be bitter. But "pissed" as well.

April 12, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  20. Gil - California

Really, you know something about guns? Do you know what sniper fire sounds like when you are running for cover in Bosnia? (with Sinbad, Ms Crow and your daughter?)

Liar liar pantsuit on fire

April 12, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  21. j

Next thing you know she'll go hunting with Mike Huckabee to show how much she loves to shoot stuff.

Who is Hillary Clinton? She's become the ultimate politician: a pure reflection of whatever she thinks the populace wants at any given moment.

April 12, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  22. Paulinus

We know that Hillary knows you guns very well. She is also the only one who know invisible Snipers

April 12, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  23. Paulinus

We know that Hillary knows guns very well. She is also the only one who knows invisible Snipers

April 12, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  24. anybody anywhere

Oh for the love of God, somebody do a fact check! I'm sure they'll find that not only was Billary not anywhere near Pennsylvania when she was younger, she was NEVER a little girl! hahahahahahaha
    I'm just waiting for someone to poke holes in this story just like the others.

April 12, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  25. Dennis

I'm amazed at how blown out of proportion this whole "bitter" nonsense is. What Obama said is correct. McCain and Clinton are twisting it to their own benefit, and they are doing so in a way that is obviously not what Obama meant.

It is especially surprising coming from Mrs. Clinton. She expects us to believe it was a "gaffe" when she "mispoke" about Bosnia, and yet, Obama is to be condemned for the twisted meaning she is giving his speech. Simply incredible. I don't think people are that stupid.

April 12, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |