April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. Caryn, WDC

I wonder how long before we find out that there is no cottage on Lake Winola and that she mispoke?

What a LIAR.

April 12, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  2. clem

Right. Hillary is now a gun lover. That's why she was able to recognize sniper fire when she heard it. PS – Her Dad was a Republican, I wonder if he would vote for her.

April 12, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  3. AnnaMarie

Gosh Hillary, you do ever stop with the rehtoric...

Hillary you are NO CHARLES HESTON...

Voet Barack in 2008 for realism..

April 12, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  4. Glenn M

OH PULEEZE! How many 'fond memories' can she come up with? OH wait, I know the answer. As many as will get her elected!

April 12, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  5. John

Jeezus, we know that one is a lie. She has no credibility anymore.

April 12, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  6. GA GAL FOR HIL

Go, Hillary! Don't give up!! Go away, Obama!!!

April 12, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  7. AnnaMarie

I guess that would be Charleston Heston now wouldn't it... doesn't matter Hillary is niether,...

April 12, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  8. Nabil

Hillary Clinton Farts again....

April 12, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  9. GREG

Clearly the point is that people turn to soothing things when they are bitter or frustrated. When I am hurting, I often turn to God. Where is the offense? I don't get this "issue" at all.

April 12, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  10. Time for Change

She will say anything to get a vote. People In Pa should be bitter about what has happen to them as well as the rest of the nation. If we are not bitter, it is because we have not suffered enough of the same oh same oh. It will be a great day when people wake up and see what is going on. We never get to deal with the things that need to be dealt with in this nation because politicians do a great job at keeping us side tracked. The second amendment will never change a long with many other things that they use to side track us. The cost of living is getting higher and for some the American dream is fading away. It is time for a change. You can not keeping going east and end up in the west.

April 12, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  11. Iab

Another Hillary's Fantasy. Sorry Hillary. Please stop, you are killing us.

April 12, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  12. YounMale

Clinton looks like a crazy gun-toting maniac in this picture.

April 12, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  13. Monesie

The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration.

???

I guess the Woman asked her what SHE would do about gun control and NOT what HER HUSBAND has done.

Was she his adviser on gun control ? if she was why don't she says : " I advised my Husband Bill Clinton on gun control etc...

Maybe she was not

Strange to mix your future policy with records of your husband and prone woman enpowerment. or even worse misleading people on your track records

April 12, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  14. Delilah Mangum

Mrs Clinton,
    If you have so much experience maybe you can tell me and countless others who have lost love ones how is it that guns are so readily able to come by for our young people. People don't have cars and money they have guns, How is it they can get them, can't get a credit card or fill out an application but they can get a gun. Your constant political bragging does not hit well with me, because in the city in the state where I live , getting a gun is like buy a piece of candy, that easy. The unemployment, the jobs loss and the drugs thats coming into our city is a constant reminder to me of what we need to focusing on instead trying to gain bragging rights.

April 12, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  15. Bond_dallas

She can tout this all she wants, but we know about Bosnia lies and $800,000 from Clombia NAFTA deals. It is all in the papers.

And by the way, Obama is right about people being bitter.

April 12, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  16. Ted

Now it's about guns and duck hunting? The discussion has gone from being "bitter" about Washington doing nothing to help some people to killing a bird?

April 12, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  17. Buck Burris

Barack Obama spoke a truth. Clinton who has trouble with that, seeks to nit pick Obama's statements.
    Those who do not know Obama's position might read it in "Audacity of Hope" which expresses the same understanding he expressed in Indiana recently.
    I grew up on a small Southern farm. During the Depression most of our meat came from hunting. I know very well what the issues here are. And Obama has spoken truthfully.
    I am tired of empty headed attacks by a politician with nothing positive to offer.
    Especially one who voted for the invasion of Iraq, for Kyl-Liebermaan and many other Neocon measures detrimental to averaage Americans. And her pretense to have opposed ther war angers me. Her pretense to have opposed NAFTA disgusts me. Her pretense to care for average Americans is laughable. She didn't get Scaife's support because she cares for us.

April 12, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  18. Oleg, CA

She wants so badly to please everybody... but the fact is: she is just a wife of a president, and we just went into huge disaster under a son of a president. May be we better switch to kingdom?
    There still stands most important issue behind all this little campain talks : who did supported launch of Iraq war, and who did not. Should those who started the war be probed?.. tried?.. jailed?..

Obama 2008

April 12, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  19. Tim in Maine

Yeah, Hillary, you're a regular Annie Oakley. How convenient to have a little family cottage outside Scranton. I cannot wait for the inevitable "fond memory" story of North Dakota.

In retrospect, I'm a bit surprised you didn't stress your tightness with the Bush family when you campaigned in Maine, considering they have a nice little place in Kennebunkport. Surely you or your husband have a number of fond memories sucking down beer and lobster with GW and Dubya. It might have helped with the caucuses you decisively lost here.

April 12, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  20. TR

So now HRC is a gun nut. How convenient. Somebody find her an orange hunting vest so she can do her best John Kerry impression.

I mean, is this woman kidding? Is there a level to which she would not sink? "My dad taught me how to shoot"????? "It's part of a culture"????

People on BOTH sides of the political spectrum in this country should be just disgusted by this transparent nonsense.

April 12, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  21. Bill

Hillary with a gun: the Elma Fudd of American Politics.

April 12, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  22. Karen

The second ammendment refers to "arms", not just firearms, so if you take it literally people could have any kind of arms they want, including bombs, and that would be foolish. And Clinton manages to have a positive experience with everything, including the sniper fire in Bosnia.

April 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  23. Gregory S. Hayes

May 14th 1999 - Hillary helps lead Million Mom March against guns

April 12th 2008 - Hillary tells moms says she is a duck hunter who will protect gun rights

No flip-flopping here...

April 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  24. Lifelong Democrat, OHIO

True, True!!!

It was wrong of Obama to say that we are turning to guns bc we are frustrated. Some of us just like to shoot.

April 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  25. Ito, Yokosuka Japan

I think Obama should sue for libel. What this woman is willing to say without her conscience even blinking is a grave sign of deeper seated immorality.

To be clear, not that Clinton or any of her hateful, lying, pandering, and posing surrogates and supporting care, It was quite clear he did not say people pick up the gun issue because they are bitter. No, it seemed more to be along the lines that because they are bitter about Washington's impotence on economic issues, they are bitter; and therefore, these other issues play out more, such as Immigration, gun rights, and what not. There is a difference.

While I can't believe Clinton and her supporters are too stupid not to see the difference; I have to believe they intentionally refuse to acknowledge the difference and choose, rather, to blow things way out of proportion. So I wonder why they would do that? It is truly unfortunate.

When I was in junior high and high school, some bully would always take what I said and morph into something I did not intend to say.

So suffice it to say that we may now add the title bully to Hillary Clintons long list of undesirable traits.

Shame on you Hillary Clinton and shame on you Hillary Clinton supporters for pulling everybody and everything down with you. You are all shameless bully's. I feel for your children, I really do.

April 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |