April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. ian

yeah what about your F- from the NRA

April 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  2. MAX

Hillary doe's shoot.........Her mouth of too much

April 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  3. Brian

I heard she used them to keep coloreds from drinking from the same water fountains and going to the same schools as she did growing up.

April 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  4. Indiana Voter

Having attended this event, I find the focus of this article a bit bizarre. Senator Clinton spoke about many topics including jobs and security, had two members of the community whose jobs making magnets for the defense industry had been outsourced to China speak , and answered numerous questions from the audience. Rather than there being any sort of "awkward moment", I believe she answered the question from the woman whose son had been paralyzed well, expressing her sympathy to the woman and stating some of her plan to help cut down crime, including more police officers in the streets.

Did your reporter really attend the same event I did?

April 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  5. Realist

If she knows so much about guns, why didn't she know there were no sniper shots zinging over her and Chelsea's head in Bosnia?

April 12, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  6. Ralph

It's a shame those shooting skills didn't come in handy in Bosnia....once a liar, always a liar.

April 12, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  7. Judy

Bitter is the wrong word...People may be frustrated or disappointed about loosing their jobs....but certainly not bitter. And why did Obama bring up that people use religion and guns as a way of taking out bitterness? I'm not sure what he was getting at...I might understand him bringing up the fact people have lost their jobs in PA unfairly and that they may be upset...but I DON"T understand coorelating that with their methods of dealing with their pain. It is almost likesaying that they have religion and faith BECAUSE of their bitterness. It's not fair to say that...

April 12, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  8. porchhound

Yeah she duck hunted with a rifle like her husband I bet...more lies and BS from the Hill Billarys..her and Schumer were the two biggest gun-grabbers of the 90's..we haven't forgotten you

April 12, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  9. Penn State

Hillary just knows about everything.....except when to quit.

Stop the nonsense!

April 12, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Well said, but nonetheless rather irrelevant...experience with guns is hardly something to tout.

April 12, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  11. JD

I wonder what has happened between 1999 and now that has convinced her to change her stance on the Second Amendment. In 1999, she lobbied for much tighter gun control. Now, she is showing respect for gun "culture" and her own gun roots.

Oh, now I remember what happened. Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Indiana are voting soon.

April 12, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  12. Kim

Yes I shoot guns I hate being a multi millionair from crooked Lobby money, I detest my tax breaks. I am religious. I married the first black president. I love immigrants but will enforce tougher immigration laws. I hate taxes but will quadruple government spending. I hate NAFTA even if my hubby made eight hundred thousand dollars from pro nafta groups. I hated the Iraq war before I voted for it. I deserve to be Queen...er.. Presdent. I go girl Yay Yay

April 12, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  13. Jim

Good God, is there nothing she WON'T say to get elected?

April 12, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  14. Jay

There goes Hillary and her memory. Is she sure it really happened.

April 12, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  15. Ed

I really can't believe how people will believe someone like Billary who both have lied to America to her face and will jump on someone for telling the truth about how people feel about losing their jobs.. Well if this is what America wnats as their President then go ahead and vote these to lying crooks back into office and when they get through sending the rest of the jobs to Colubia, Mexico and Canada then everyone can truly say that we cling to faith and guns..

April 12, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  16. Jane

Hillary should know about guns......she is a terrorist in her country! Divisive, underhanded, deceitful, untruthful and will go to any extent to get the power she wants for herself!
    Wake up America!!!!

PS: Canada is not Pro-Hillary!

April 12, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  17. SkyPete,

I just have an uneasy feeling that she made up the story of being taught how to shoot at a cottage in Pennsylvania. She's never mentioned it before and it's awfully convenient to bring it now – methinks.

Hillary is going to milk this thing until the teat is dry.

ps.
    did Obama make any comments about her Bosnia lie ?

April 12, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  18. Ito, Yokosuka Japan

Why is it that our politicians are shameless and disrespectfull and we worship them? They all need a good, public flogging. As for the people who feed into this crazy nonesence, ugh.

Vote Jessy Ventura in as a write in candidate when the presidential election starts at least we can cast our vote for a human; rather some beastly animal that lacks immorality.

The fact that all we have to choose from is Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and Obama is just horrible. Of the three at least Obama still has some dignity intact.

Of all the people in the America, these three candidates are the best we can do. God has left us on our own, we must have offended Him.

April 12, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  19. J

This gets better and better. First Hillary is afraid of sniper fire and now she claims she was a sniper ................... of ducks. What a joke next she will be posing in waders with a rifle. As Bill says shaking a finger, GIVE ME A BREAK! What does all this prove? Not a dang thing! If you cannot win on your own merits work to destroy your opponents. Is this christian like, is this for the good of the people of America? Is this what a uniter does? I think not. This is dividing, this is mean and nasty. This is try to win at any cost. This is the Clinton Machine. I hope the American public will see that Hillary is not one of the common folk, the common folk do not make 109 million dollars in a life time never mind in a few years. Ask yourself a question" What has Hillary Clinton ever done for you personally?" Not what she claims she has done, what has she done for you. Her dad probably did take her out behind the cottage........ and whooped her butt for lying . Anyone but Hillary!!

April 12, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  20. kman accomac va

liberals suck

April 12, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  21. Eddie W.

Again I am amazed at the number of Americans who are in such denial of the current position of which we are in at this time.Senator Obama spoke the truth when he stated that there are people (not only in Pennsylvania- my words) who are bitter because of their present situation in this country. There are those who Do blame others for their plight, but are directing their anger in the wrong direction. It is perfectly alright for people to take solace in their religion, in the things that they love ie; guns, but it is unacceptable to blame any one group of people for the fall of employment opportunities , the decay of our communities, the dismal operation of OUR government ( Remember some of you voted this president into office) so I don`t understand the uproar over his statements by The Clintons and others.
    There two things that some people in this country find hard to accept: COMMON SENSE and THE TRUTH. They are the most powerfull forces in a persons character....we sometimes choose to think otherwise.

April 12, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  22. KENNY ELROD

This so much crap! Check her voting record!!!! She's pulling the same stunt John Kerry did. I hope no one falls for this. She has voted anti-second amendment 100%.

April 12, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  23. bj

Is there an admendment on lying? Hilary Clinton has been caught in two lies. 1.Bosnia and 2. The pregnant woman who was denied medical attetion at a hospital. You people make me sick. Barack Obama tells the truth that white people and few black folks can't handle-he tells a hard truth. Its ashame how Clinton can lie through her teeth and you people don't say anything hardly about but as soon as Obama says anything you people blow it to pieces. Face it this country is prejudice!!

April 12, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  24. Ed

Yeh right,
    Billary is the biggest Anti-gun person that I have ever seen. She was against guns but now that she needs votes she knows a lot about guns. Well Billary, most people that I know that have lost their job are bitter, and they didn't have a cottage on the lake to go behind to shoot cans at either!

April 12, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  25. Theresa

Now she shoots guns, too?!?!?! OMG!!! I am so tired of her trying to pretend like she's one of the little people! Her grandfather taught her to shoot a gun at their summer home? Paaaa-leeeeez...

She is running with her twist on Obama's statement. Just more proof that she will say ANYTHING to get elected. Too funny!!

And a Hillary bobble head? Are you freakin' serious? You people are nuts...

Don't believe her hype people. She's still the same liar she was last week cackling at a direct question about her husbands payday from Columbian Trade talks.

April 12, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |