April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. kman accomac va

i dont trust obama

April 12, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  2. patricia

Oh come on.

April 12, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  3. Bubba

Beware Americans ! ! ! I smell another lie in the air ! ! !

April 12, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  4. Bubba

Remember, her recollections are batting .000

April 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  5. tim

Thank you Mrs Heston.

Is she serious??

Please lets not put this person in the white house.

April 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  6. Ted Wu, Los Angeles, CA

I don't believe in making enemies, even if they are NRA members. Like Sen. Clinton said, some of them are for guns because, unfortunately, they are taught or brought up that way. It's an unfortunate way of life and culture. However, it is also unfortunate that Sen.Clinton finds it necessary to bring this issue up this way to gain votes from the so called supporters of the misinterpreted 2nd Amendment. I totally understand that she is dealing with political reality, but it is still a very sad situation that she has to do so.

April 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  7. Brent

Hillary please. Your head is doing nothing but spinning. And I am sorry, i am not going to teach my child how to kill with a gun. I would rather teach my child how to heal.

But you do your best to take the word "bitter" and use it how you feel it is appropriate. Guess that is what bitter people do.?

April 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  8. Ed - Pa

I agree with Tom Hendrickson: “My message to Senator Obama is, we are not frustrated. We are not bitter. We turn to our faith because we believe. Amen. We hunt and fish because it's a part of our culture and we enjoy it. So, Senator Obama, don't pity us and think that we're bitter and frustrated. We're hard working family folks who are smart and we get it.

Go away Obama!

April 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  9. ALBO

MOST CERTAINLY SHE INVENTED THIS STORY ALSO, TO SUPPORT THE ATTACK ON OBAMA'S REMARK

"People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are"

Meaning putting guns in the hand of mentally thick orunstable and shooting innocent people and children ??

Hunting animals until extintion ?? To show she is an real American she stress that she has hunted, even if she is NOT a hunter??

IS THAT WHAT THE CONSTITUTION PROTECTS ?? Certianly not and
    hopefully the Supreme Courtt will have the courage to clarify that !!

ALBO

April 12, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  10. harold

It is a part of culture..no dougt about it...I think the people in small towns deserse to be understood and helped....

We need someone with some experience and years being around the town of D.C.....I think.. and government..

April 12, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  11. James

Well, I'll have to concede she probably can't shoot any worse than Cheney.

April 12, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  12. silverspring

She always has some experience to share. It is ridiculous.

April 12, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  13. ron

This is so pathetic, especially on the heels of the Rovian attempt to smear Obama for his comments that anybody with a room temp IQ knows are true. What's his crime? Telling the truth?

April 12, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  14. Roger

OK, so you think you claim to know how to use a gun. You have already shown that you do not know what end it fires out of by you lie regarding one of your foreign diplomacy experiences. Or is this just another lie to draw attention from the fact that NAFTA and the loss of jobs all across America has the name Clinton all over it? Yes, many Americans are bitter, not only for having our jobs taken away from us by NAFTA but also for your denial of how we feel. You are so out of touch!

April 12, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  15. AB

It is hard for me to believe anything you say hill.

April 12, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  16. gp

yes , we can realy be proude of use of guns, (specialy exposing children ) as a culture!!!! I realy wish I live where people understand what culture is. This mentality lead as where we are – in Iraq and where we will stay with Hilary...maybe you who support her should be there, and wont be there, but I will probably look some other place to be if needed..somwhere where people belive that culture and education and PERSONAL INTEGRITY mater!!!! She speaks as is not for war but is for guns , she presents as if she is not for trade with Columbia but is for personal profit from that same trade, she is comander but doesnt bknow what her cheaf stuff is involved or even her housband...that is misery of caracter

April 12, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  17. yappy

jesus, why don't we just give it to her and go it over with ??....She can say whatever the &^^& she wants can't she ? i can't stand her and the way she jumps on anything to win. what she said about Bosnia was a FLAT out freaking lie and we let her slide. This Dem will NEVER vote for her... in fact, if we put yet another clinton in i am leaving this country. We don't deserve Obama....I hope you all love the war, high gas prices and BIG money politicians cuz that is what you are gonna get. thank God I live in Alaska... where I can still walk into the woods and disappear.

April 12, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  18. Nathan in WA

Hillary is living in a PC fantasy world that is convenient to her campaign

Obama is just telling it like it is

Guns, Flag Burning, Religion issues – these are things bad politicians use to distract voters

April 12, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  19. salin

I knew that Hillary will do anything for nomination. That is the reason she predicted more " Twist and Turns" in the democratic race.. She does not care about the Democratic Party, all she needs is nomination.

If Democrats lose the election in November, Hillary should the reason for this. Before republicans pick up the issue, she is the one to pick it up to cash for her nomination.
    I always had respect for Bill Clinton. But the way Hillary is doing politics, it's a shame to every democrats, and each individual citizen.

Enough Hillary.. I will never vote you in my life..

April 12, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  20. Gregory S. Hayes

May 14th, 1999: Hillary helps lead Million Mom March against guns

April 12th, 2008: Hillary tells moms she is a duck hunter who will protect gun rights

No flip-flopping here…

April 12, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  21. carmen

You know, she forgot to say that she had the bible on the other hand the whole time. You know, she is a "bitter" woman herself who experienced the same hardships at the recreational cottage and man-made lake. You know, she has the same pains today as those people who lost their jobs through bad economic decisions with hundreds of millions of dollars to keeps track of. You know, I am waiting for her to say that she lost a child to the war she supported. You know, she is an unrependent, immoral, two-faced big pant suit liar. You know, when she says you know she is fibbing or for that matter any time she and her husband move their lips.

April 12, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  22. Jeremy

Stop twisting Obama's words Hillary. People who live in cities and have lost their jobs don't hunt. And somebody look up if Lake Winola actually exists, she may be "misremembering" again.

April 12, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  23. Anonymous

Dont believe a word of this for a minute, she is 100% against the right to own guns.

April 12, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  24. Barbara L. Giles

I have noticed that a lot of my responses are not printed. Is someone afraid that my words might hurt because they are the truth?

April 12, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  25. Austen

Of course she knows about guns... she has to know how to defend herself when she comes under sniper fire in hostile Bosnian territories. Muahahaha!

But seriously, I'm sick of this "I'm not anti-gun. I've shot a gun before" BS.

April 12, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |