April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. Patricia

Why do I find this amusing?

April 12, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  2. Patty

Well, isn't that just dandy!

April 12, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  3. Dee

She always says "You know..." right before she says something that is supposed to "connect" with the people.

I bet most people wouldn't relate to her wealthy upbringing.

She created a scandal out of one irrelevant comment by someone who actually understands what people are going through...typical manipulation by her.

And Obama is on the defensive because he refuses to harp on every little stupid "miss-speak" she makes, as they all do, on a daily basis.

April 12, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  4. ron

Is she tired and misspeaking again? Her experiance as I see it is allways hind site.
    Supported NAFTA, now want out
    Supported Iraq ,now wants out
    Whitewater, now wants to crack down on lenders
    Corperate lawyer, now wants to work for the common man
    Solicalist healthcare, Given 8 years didn't get it done

April 12, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  5. Dee

You have to be really obnoxious to frame someone raised by a poor single mom as "out of touch" with what real people face, especially when you yourself were brought up with more money than you know what to do with.

April 12, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  6. FreshFlavor

Should have stayed behind the barn.

April 12, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  7. Rod

Gumby Clinton. Flexible on all issues. Last month, she was an insomniac who answers calls at 3 AM. Last week, she was a revisionist historian. Today, she is a gun-toting southern mama. What's tomorrow? McCain in '08 groupie? It's time for a change.

April 12, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  8. John from Las Vegas

With all her experience with guns I hope she accurately shoots herself in the foot. Again.

OBAMA '08

April 12, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  9. Mimi in TX

I was an Obama supporter but now I am changing my vote! I am changing my vote to Hillary Clinton because she is in touch with the American people. Just like Hillary most Americans grew up with a summer vacation home with no heat and no working water (why would you need heat in the summer?). Most Americans make 109 million dollars in 6 years and most Americans will tell a bold faced lie and say they "mispoke".

Yes! I am changing my vote to Hillary Clinton because unlike Obama she understands how Americans need great healthcare EXCEPT her campaign staff who apparently doesn't need it as much because she didn't pay their healthcare bill.

Hillary is so in touch with the American people that she fought for us America! Yes she did and Bill Clinton too! They fought for us right after they cashed their 800,000 check from the Columbian trade deal. Hillary is so right! We need a president who will stand up for us just like she did as senator for the people of New York. She promised 200,000+ jobs in New York and I think the media is unfair for attacking her when they said she didn't keep her word and New York lost 30,000+ jobs!

Come on America! Hillary understands the struggles that us little folk are going through-SHE UNDERSTANDS JUST AS LONG AS IT'S NOT HER GOING THROUGH IT.

Seriously, my vote is for Obama! I 'd take his straight talk anyday over a compulsive liar and a warmonger.

April 12, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  10. Hillary the Chameleon

So she went from incumbent, to teary eyed in New Hampshire, to protective mom in Ohio, to underdog, to being unfairly criticized by the media (whiner), to brave first lady ducking enemy fire in Bosnia and now she is a gun toting rural raised girl. How about we call her what she really is, a LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone that instantly morphs into whatever the situation calls for at the time. Too bad she underestimates the intelligence of the citizens this time.

April 12, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  11. Pete, NC

Here she goes again trying to twist a story in her favor. Sen. Obama is a Constitutional lawyer who taught at Harvard School of Law. Anyone can pull a trigger, but can you fellow the law, the Constitution that is. Hillary needs to clean her own house of conflict of interest of NATFA/CATFA. That's what matter to America were are our jobs and were they might go. Wake up Hillary!

April 12, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  12. Larry, Bellevue WA

Oh great, she's 100% behind the second ammendment but willing to co-sponsor a constitutional amendment limiting the first. Why not just join the Republican Party and call it a day?

April 12, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  13. Hal

A funny thing now starts to happen when I hear or see HRC anywhere ... I think of BUSH !!!! Bush ?!? My god what has she done to herself ?! Like when dubia open his mouth, like a REFLEXE , I start deciphering for lies, pandering and venom. This is someone I was rooting for 3 months ago. Now I can barelystand her sight , less her voice. Its to a point where IF she ever were to win by some sort of fatal miracle, I'd vote for NADER . Nader !!! I don't even know the guy. I mean aside from the fact that he comes somewhere between Obama and McCain.

April 12, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  14. Jared

Does she have little story like that for every situation? How many inaccuracies are going to come out in this one? At least she didn't claim she was under sniper fire while hunting.

April 12, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  15. Frazier

BooWoo Hillary,

Why don't you remind us of your bosnia trip again. I love to here dramatic stories.

April 12, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  16. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

When I was a little girl Behind the "cottage", built on a little lake, called Lake Winona, outside of Scranton, my father taught me how to shoot a gun. Is there anything that Hillary has not done? Or were
    they really that wealthy? Hillary is an elitist!!!!!!

April 12, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  17. Charlie

She will say and do anything.

April 12, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  18. Humm...

Humm...I wonder if she could be lying again like she usually does. Bending the truth for her own gains. Seems like a reoccurring theme in her campaign.

Obama '08!

April 12, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  19. Jim

Obama should have been careful with his words, but it would be a sad sad state of affairs if THIS is what my fellow citizens use to decide to vote for Hill-Billy or McCain.

This is not a lie, the way Clintons lie repeatedly.

McCain has no business talking about elitism, he of the 100-million-dollar wife and 8 houses in his possession.

April 12, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  20. @americans

Ok, Billary that's ENOUGH!

Your attitude of know-it-all just irks me. Please STOP!!!!

April 12, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  21. look byond

You can tell, from her looks that we got one desperate woman trying to cook any thing.
    Please , Hilary the food is almost ready.
    Did you forget "The drop out" ingredience.

Your $109 million dollar is still not enough.
    HOW GREEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 12, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  22. Bryant

Are you serious? Clinton is now touting her "gun" experience? Does that include the sniper rifles in Bosnia?

Hillary is whatever you want her to be...if you're poor, she knows what it's like to be poor (never mind that $109 million). If you're from Pennsylvania, she'll tout her great childhood memories of Pennsylvania (even though she grew up in another state.) What would you like her to tell you today, people? Hillary will tell you EXACTLY what you want to hear.

People aren't falling for this anymore, are they? Or are they?

April 12, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  23. Scott

lol, this is merely a triangulated message to Bill...lol

April 12, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  24. Zachra

She can vividly remember that old yarn, but not something that happened a little over ten years ago? How am I supposed to believe that? It sounds like her speechwriters were listening to A Prairie Home Companion when they wrote that.

April 12, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  25. ICHOPE

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught be how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

Oh, I got it that's when she thought there were sniper fires.

April 12, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |