April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. Susan Donovan

Pander pander pander pander...

April 12, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  2. such a liar

Sure you do Hillary. Just like when you said you were dodging sniper fire in Bosnia. Just like when you said you tried to join the Marines. The Marine would have never turned down a lawyer!!! What a joke. If you knew how to fire a gun, you would have taken aim at Bill's crotch a long time ago and saved Monica's blue dress a trip to the laundramat Get a life, liar.

Oh, and did you tell them how you are recommending a Congressional which will be the largest anti-gun bill in history? She is so good at talking out of both sides of her Columbia supporting mouth.

April 12, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  3. Lenore Z.

These remarks of Senator Clinton are the clearest example of what is meant by the word "pandering" that I think I've ever seen. We've never before heard stories of her experience with guns. Why now? To capitalize on her opponent's fumble and pander to the audience.

April 12, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  4. jim

To dam bad she didnt shoot herself- She nothing but a biggot.
    A liar and insenative to the people of United States of America.
    I never in my life ever have known of anyone who can tell so many lies and keep a half straight face..........

April 12, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  5. Evan

HILLARY ClINTON calling Obama elitist?

That is SO RICH!!! 108 million dollars, all charitable donations to her OWN FOUNDATION. Oh yeah, she's the one who is "in touch" with everyone.

Tell me, Hillary, if you were so in touch with America – then why are you blind as to not see these are kind of politics WE WANT TO STOP! People are DISGUSTED with your dirty tricks and lies.

You're a HYPOCRITE, Hillary. A huge hypocrite.

April 12, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  6. John Hoff

Yet another reason I'd vote for Hillary, or I'd vote for John McCain (reluctantly) but I'd never vote for Obama. He lacks the broad life experience of Clinton. His outlook is completely urban. Hillary understands small towns through her husband, even if she didn't grow up in them herself.

Obama is dismissive of small towns, the backbone of America. This one single remark is capable of destroying his whole campaign.

April 12, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  7. Monroe

People are just not getting it. Obama did not say anything like "people only believe in God because they are bitter about economics." That's crazy! His claim was that when people feel that government cannot do anything to improve their economic situation, they vote solely on controversial issues that politicians use as "wedges" to divide and conquer. He is trying to say that it is possible to effect change on issues of common interest to working people that far overshadow the wedge issues. This is what he's been saying all along: that it is time to come together to reclaim the American dream rather than continue to bickering and scapegoating.

April 12, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  8. Tom, AZ

Well said Pete, Obama said when people are frustated and bitter about government, Politician will use guns and religion like a wedge to sway away from what really matter to small town America, and Hillary fell right in this trap. Way to go Obama!!!!

A change is Coming!!!!

April 12, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  9. Ann Marie

Why do so many Americans have a need to shoot a gun? Even hunting for pleasure is questionable. Hunting should only be done for the purpose of food. Shooting animals for no reason in my opinion is wrong. America is gun happy and so is Hillary. I knew she was a Republican at heart. No wonder she and trigger happy McCain are working together against Obama. WOW
    Pennsylvania for Obama

April 12, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  10. BJ Mulder

That's about what she is!!!

April 12, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  11. theroadrunner

Well, great combat hero, dodging sniper fire and throwing grenades in Korea, S. Vietnam, and Bosnia that she is, I think we can all take a lesson or two in guns from the great know-it-all Hilliary. Is there anything she doesn't know?

April 12, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  12. A NY

I was so excited about this election. Was a big Hillary supporter! Frankly speaking I am disappointed with the manner in which the various campaigns are being runned, the negative attacks and the bias media coverage especially Fox and the Lou Dobbs show. I will not vote for Hillary...Neither will I vote for McCain. The jury is still out for Obama...not that I expect the DNC to give the nomination to him.

I would love to hear more about the Green Party and Nader.

April 12, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  13. Bill

This woman raises pandering to an art form. Obama spoke the truth even if it did come out wrong. Hill is trying to be for and against the interests of gun owners at the same time. Is she misleading gun owners? Or gun control supporters? Or both? Either way, she "misspeaks" like a rug.

April 12, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. Barbara L. Giles

I really do not see what the hoopla is all about. What Obama said was the truth. I do not believe what people will stoop to to defame person's character. Hillary is graspsing at straws that are simply wisps. I think that Hillary should take care of her husband's "flap." In addition, Hilliary's supposedly "death" trip to Bosnia seemed to be a joke to the media. At least Obama is being honest with you. Hillary is a pathological liar, and it has been proven. So who do we want as President of our great nation-someone who speaks the truth or a liar? Through history, I have learned that people do not want to hear the truth because they want to ease their GUILTY consciences.
    And speaking about out of touch, I, along with some of my friends, always cry whenever we see Obama dancing on Ellen. This video shows that he is a person just like us. And this Elitism that people are talking about! Obama is no Elitist. Some people may think he is because of the strides that he has made, and maybe, just maybe, some people believe that only certain people should belong to the Elite group. I sense envy and prejudice here also. Think, before you cast your votes, Pennsylvanians. Do not be fooled by the wolf in sheep'sclothing. Do not fall victims to Hillary like the Ohians. OBAMA 2008!

April 12, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  15. Nana

Whatever Hillary! You are such a liar. You have been avoiding your own lies about Bosnia and your position on NAFTA after making over $800K on supporting free trade to Columbia. Now you have the nerve to attack Obama on these statements he made offering empathy to people who have lost jobs and who the government has turned its back on? It is unbelievable the "free ride" the media gives you and how they attack Obama on every issue. I would not vote for a liar like Hillary Clinton if she was the last person on earth. I will pray that people see through the negative press and vote for Obama for President. He is the only who truly cares about the people in this country.

April 12, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  16. Zoe

Is this woman capable of anything, to find a food hold....in a process that so clearly favors Obama. No answer required....the foot in her proverbial sharp tongue mouth, speaks for itself.

April 12, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  17. Ron R

Hopefully, for your sake, this doesn't prove to be another tall tail you made up Hillary.

April 12, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  18. deb

What a crock, now she's Annie Oakley. Is there anything authentic about this woman?

April 12, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  19. joe

Pathological liar!

April 12, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  20. Carl

I dont understand why Obama would say people cling on to guns through frustration it is stereo typing at its worst, its rediculous. Saunders has come out today and said Obamas got a lot of explaining to do and hes right you cant go around saying people without jobs are bitter, they are not bitter they have pride in who they are and want to work. Its that attitude and determination to want to work and knowing how much of an improvement the economy and employment status will be when Hillary is president that keeps them going.
    This guy is making mistake after mistake, he is not fit to be President, I dread to think what mistakes he will make if he was to get to the White house which he wont. After all that has happened it would be insance if people still vote for him.

April 12, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  21. Lance

B-Man supporting Hillary from DC.
    You go Hillary.
    Watch obama supporters try to twist this thing.
    Hillary 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hillary 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 12, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  22. SJ

Nader was spot-on when he said that Clinton is a "panderer and flatterer."

And she needs to stop touting her husband's achievements. She won't accept his shortcomings yet is always willing to take up his achievements. Can't have it both ways.

As for hunting ducks (what kind of sicko hunts ducks??), she meant the old Nintendo game Duck Hunt, and she probably got really close to the TV and cheated.

April 12, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  23. Kirk From Michigan

Obama Is Showing His " Wright Wing Ideology" He's Moved From The Pews , To The Podium . Speaking to his elite supporters , In his traditional Rev. Wright tounge .

Hillary 08

April 12, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  24. spyturtle

This is what Hillary has been reduced to.......hey let's all go hunting on the urban streets but watch out for Bosnian sniper fire.

April 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  25. Bill

Maybe HRC can team up with Dick Cheney and George Allen for a little macaca hunting?

April 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |