April 12th, 2008

Clinton touts her experience with guns

Sen. Evan Bayh looks on as Sen. Clinton greets supporters in Valparaiso, Indiana.

VALPARAISO, Indiana (CNN) - Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”

Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. @americans

FOR THE "UNEDUCATED BILLARY VOTERS": – hear is an explanation of Obama's speech:
    People don't trust politicians when it comes to improving economic conditions. Therefore, they rely on their faith, their communities, and their rights (the 2nd Amendment) as opposed to voting on the issues that will enhance their economic conditions. The Republicans have exploited this through "wedge issues." Why do you think that marriage amendments, gun rights, and other amendments are attached to the vote in key states? It's done in order to distract voters from asking questions about what politicians will really do.

BUT, TRUST ME FOLKS – BILLARY WILL TRY TO SPIN MY HONEST AND EDUCATED TRUTH!!!

April 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  2. dorothy of Indiana

Are you sure you hunted ducks or is that another one of your stories? I bet you were fatigued and you were actually hunting elephants under fire in Africa.

April 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  3. Lance

Hillary 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let little boy Obama grow up first.

April 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  4. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

more convenient little anecdotes from Hillary the Liar.... who cares if grandpa taught her to shoot a gun 55 years ago? how is this relevant to the price of bread (or gas)?

SHUT HER UP and SEND HER PACKING.

April 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  5. Matthew, San Francisco

Oh my God, this is so sickening. She disagrees with everything and anything she can disagree with with Obama. She is such a pandering opportunist who pounces on any topic she can and twists it to relate to the normal person. Shooting guns by a lake in Scranton? God, can she be anymore polarizing?

April 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  6. Dem in the white house

You have GOT to be kidding me. I sure hope the good people of Pen. realize that Obama was telling the truth about people being left behind and felling frustrated and not be suckered by this spin. Anyone who buys that Clinton would be friendlier to guns than Obama is not doing their homework. Really folks, Senator Obama was talking about how because people have been left behind and don't feel they can trust the pol's they vote based on wege issues. It's NOT an insult it's knowing how people are feeling I know that most of my friends who fit the "mold" feel like that. I wish Obama would not only not back off this but start a campaign along the good ol line "yes were mad as hell, and were not going to take this any more!!!"

April 12, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  7. mc

How do we know if this story is even true Hillary? We know your history. She lies to the American people and brushes it off like it's nothing. Then wants to "Pounce" on Obama for making a TRUE statement. Come on People this is totally absurd!

Obama 08

April 12, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  8. Mike - Spring, TX

Too bad she didn't do a little target practice after the Monica story broke.

April 12, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  9. TINA

HILLARY YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE. THE ONLY EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE IS LIE ABOUT EVERYTHING AND YOU NEED TO GET OUT O F THE RACE.

April 12, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  10. Joyce

Has bobblehead Clinton misspoken, again?

April 12, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  11. Jean

If she knows so much about guns, Why did she think she was in SNIPER FIRE???

April 12, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  12. john

BE BITTER! Believe in God!

McCain 2008

What a wonderful bumper sticker.

What Obama said will come back to bite him hard.

April 12, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  13. i feel like picking up hunting...

I wish someone would shoot Hillary. She is a real lame duck.

April 12, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  14. Trollmaster CA

We know about her experience with sniper rifles. I don't believe this one either. She either never touched a gun in her life or did only once and dropped it on the recoil.

April 12, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  15. Mister Anderson

LoL – Any time a Democrat try to run on the "gun issue" it blows up in their face. Obama should let her own this issue and shoot up her campaign.

April 12, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  16. typical whte male

and she won't be afraid to use them when needed!

Hillary for Americans!

April 12, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  17. platy

She shot a gun under her grandfather's supervision at the family lake cottage. Now hunters are supposed to vote for her? I liked her better when she was dodging bullets in Bosnia.

Culture is trading deer recipes. Bitter is what we feel towards corporately owned and operated pols like the McClintons She doesn't have a clue.

April 12, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  18. Mom Dem

Freedom of speech...HA!

April 12, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  19. Obama is the man

Clinton may win a few more of the redneck vote but will hurt her with the college educated crowd.

Statistics show the people with college degrees are supporting Obama more so than Clinton or Mccain. Clinton and Mccain can stick to getting votes for the highschool drop out crowd.

April 12, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  20. skylark

OMG! She is a gun nut too!
    Duck!
    Once again she is taking Obamas words totally out of context and trying to be one of the good old boys.
    What a crock!

April 12, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  21. Anthony Marshall

I live in a small town in Pa. I lost my job due to closing of facility. I am bitter but I continue to be happy. Obama was absolutely correct in what he said. The lady who put it on blog followed his bus, she felt so offended that she waited 5 days, on a friday time for people to dwell on it, and right after Bill Clinton's revisited Bosnia event. What a way to divert her Bosnia incident raised by Bill. What a spin put on it just like punishing daughter incident. What makes matter worse the media knows what he was saying, so does the people, this is what cause division amongt people

April 12, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  22. Kentucky Voter

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl”

She used these skills she learned from her father to fire back at the Bosnians that she was under sniper fire from. Using that gun she was able to defend the young pregnant woman that couldn't receive healthcare, and therefore saved the world from Lex Luthor and his evil corporation.

...and it's all true because Hillary Clinton says it is.

April 12, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  23. Hillary supporter

I too was taught to shoot and respect guns when I was growing up. I was taught they were not toys and how to carry and put them away safely and how to shoot safely and where and how not to shoot or point a gun. The people who use guns for the purpose to harm others will obtain them illegally if they want to do harm, so why take guns way from the law abiding citizens who just like to shoot for recreation or hunting? Also, Obama has a bad opinion of most of American , it appears to me, and I don't see how someone so bitter himself can possibly bring this country together! I think he either needs to sink or swim with his words, just like Hillary has too, I am sick and tired of hearing CNN take up for him. He doesn't have to watch what he says, because most of the media takes his side and give excuses, thats why I like to listen to Glenn Beck. I don't agree with him on everything , but when it comes to Obama , people need to listen!

April 12, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  24. carriejo

To bad she didn't have her gun when in Bosnia dodging all those bullets. It's so amusing that she can come up with long tales so quickly.

April 12, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  25. Greg

I think most gun owners are well aware of Clintons disdain of our military and gun owners. Her past actions speak louder than any words she can say now. She must really be desperate if she thinks this new tale is going to convince anybody to vote for her.

April 12, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |