April 13th, 2008

Bill Clinton breaks silence on 'bitter' controversy

CNN

Watch former President Clinton Sunday in Bloomsbury, Pennsylvania.

(CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton finally spoke up Sunday about the controversy swirling around Sen. Barack Obama’s recent comments after being uncharacteristically silent just a day before.

“Folks, I was shaking hands and taking a few pictures backstage. This fellow looked at me and he said, ‘I just want you to know, the people you’re about to see are not bitter. They’re proud,’” Bill Clinton said at a campaign event for his wife, Sen. Hillary Clinton, in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania.

The former president also took the opportunity to respond to Obama’s assertions that small town America was not made better off economically during the eight years of the Clinton administration.

“Do you agree with that?,” he asked.

“No,” the crowd shouted in response.

“I just thought I’d get a few witnesses here. You know, I’m a Baptist. On Sunday, we look for witnesses,” replied Clinton.

–CNN's Steve Brusk and Martina Stewart

1. Ross in MD

The Clintons can have the support of people who think things are O-kay!

The America that is bitter and wants change will go with Obama, thank you.

April 13, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  2. andrea, Illinois

Maybe both Clintons shall look at the bible once in a while:

– DON'T CHEAT

– DON'T LIE

Billary are really not a good example for what church goes stand! They have no morals and integrity!

April 13, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  3. Will

Your a Baptist but your wife refuses to say last time you Clintons attended church....you must be good Baptist.

April 13, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  4. Kent, Illinois

Bill, you must be attending the services on Sundays alone because Hillary already said she doesn't go often.

April 13, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  5. Joe

I'm bitter that your wife is running for president and not you!!!

April 13, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  6. Delta Dave

Hmmm! I wonder if there really was a man backstage that made that declaration. Since the sniper fire incident, it is difficult to believe anything the Clintons come up with.

April 13, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  7. The Misspeak Corrector

. . . .N. A. F. T. A,

April 13, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  8. California Voter

Point made.

April 13, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  9. Kaya, Houston, Texas

I'm bitter. If you're not, that just means you're rich, period.

April 13, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  10. pat leahy

If he's a baptist (practicing anthing to do with God and decency), then I'm a labador retriever. Woof.

April 13, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  11. Issues Please.....

I advise others to go to Huffington Post maybe you get a chance to really put you comments on the blog. CNN you're bias.

April 13, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  12. johnny boy

what a putz!

April 13, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  13. SS

Yeah yeah we all see what happens when someone is too proud during hardship....

April 13, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  14. SS

They run out of gas on the side of the road...

April 13, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  15. Ask Me, I'm a Pennsylvanian

. . . .I am Proud, Bitter, and Pissed Off. Remember NAFTA Bill? Well
    we will on April 22.

April 13, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  16. lauren

what a sleazy guy

April 13, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  17. rachel

the clintons will do or say anything for power.
    even if that means taking the democratic party down with them.

April 13, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  18. claude

Obama was man enough to take the blame for his statement unlike HRC who miss spoke,dodge bullets she need to get over it.

April 13, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  19. Debs

Pot calling kettle black (figuratively speaking!)

April 13, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  20. Steel

What a moron. I am bitter having to listen to this cheater and his loud mouth wife. Get a grip.

April 13, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  21. HH

Please stop the monarchy. Only in America would we keep electing the same familied. BUSH-CLINTON-BUSH-CLINTON.

NO WONDER WHY NOTHING CHANGES!

VOTE OBAMA OR MCCAIN

April 13, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  22. judyb

The problem for Bill and Hillary was that there have been many witnesses!

April 13, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  23. Ann, MI

Can't I be both proud to live in a rural area AND bitter about Washington ignoring us year after year? Apparently not if you support Hillary Clinton.

April 13, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  24. carlo

Huffington Post has an article quoting Bill-o saying almost the same thing in 1991, but he called white males "financially insecure", among other things. Go and check it out. He really should sit this one out.

April 13, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  25. opaqueguy

Okay Mr "I Need A Witness", we haven't forgotten Monica Lewinsky. Did you need a witness then?

April 13, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |