April 13th, 2008

Clinton: 'Not relevant' last time I went to church, fired gun

CNN

Watch a clip of Sen. Clinton's Sunday press conference.

SCRANTON, Pennsylvania (CNN) – After a weekend spent making direct appeals to gun owners and church goers, Hillary Clinton said Sunday a query about the last time she fired a gun or attended church services "is not a relevant question in this debate” over Barack Obama’s recent comments on small town Americans.

“We can answer that some other time,” Clinton said at a press conference held in a working class neighborhood here. “This is about what people feel is being said about them. I went to church on Easter. I mean, so?”

Clinton described the furor surrounding Obama’s remarks as “about how people look at the Democratic Party and the Democratic Party leadership.”

“We have been working very hard to make it clear that we have millions of Democrats who are church going and gun-owning,” she said. “And we are tired of having Republicans, or frankly our own Democrats, give any ammunition to Republicans because what happens then is Republicans take advantage of the situation.”

She called the current imbroglio “an important moment for Democrats” and challenged Obama to further explain what he meant by his comments, which she reiterated were “elitist and divisive.”

Pressed on whether she truly believes Obama is an elitist, Clinton called him “a good man,” but recalled the narratives of the 2000 and 2004 president election.

“You don’t have to think back too far to remember that good men running for president were viewed as being elitist and out of touch with the values and lives of millions of Americans,” she said.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. C. Dan DeVille

You are certainly right, Hillary. It's not relevant and neither are you.

April 13, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  2. Thomasg

Hillary is non relevant!

Truman once said the American people have a instinct for spoting a phony and that is what is seen with Hillary and her campaign.
    Educated or uneducated it does not matter, Hillary is seen for the absolute fake she manifests in each and every word she speaks.

April 13, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. maria

I think what Obama said about American's being bitter is right. He hit it on the nose and should not explain anything he said, he was right.
    McClain and H. Clinton are the ones who are out of touch with the people and if these two are voted in it is going to get worse.
    If you listen to the news when Hillary and Bill say the poeple are not bitter there is a weak cheer in the background. Their own supports have to face the same issues as the rest of Americans. Tthey may be supporting Clinton and Mcclain but they are bring home millions of dollars a year in pay.
    The fact of the matter is that I am bitter and i also feel that this administration is ignoring the calls of the people and the same old way of doing things in the this country has got to change. It won't with McClain and Hillary in office next year!
    Obama 08

April 13, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  4. ajks

Maybe she is learning from her daughter–just answer the questions she wants to answer!

April 13, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  5. betting on being blocked

In my hometown, we are drinking beer and stroking our guns in front of a Cross because we are just to angry and bitter to decide who to vote for and why.

So we are betting tha CNN will not post this- the winner will be able to eat something other than game tonight-

I would love to see this America: Where people like Rev. Wright get to preach their doctrine of hate, while their installed president, Obama, strips the people of their guns...

An America where you are called a racist for saying that Jesse Jackson won in SC twice, but are defended as NOT being racist for ranting like Wright does. An America where "sacred?" hatred is the only acceptable freedom of speech.

Where the government will just take care of the poor, stupid people, while the elitist intelligencia decides for you, what is best for you. As they sip their lattes and blog..blog..blog all the livelong day.

An America that bans freedom of speech for those who disagree with Obama and decrees freedom of speech only for members of black liberation-theology churches.

Sounds just like these blogs. Anyone who doesn't support Obama is dismissed as an ignorant idiot. Meanwhile, the truly illiterate who blog for Obama, think they are smart and educated even when they can not formulate an entire legible thought.

April 13, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  6. Steve B, NewYork. NY

Oh my God this woman amuses me !

If she gets away with this .. then the US is the place where dreams die

April 13, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. Saska

Good one, Mrs. Clinton. Point to Al Gore and John Kerry as the problem with the Democratic leadership. That should earn you points.

Sowing division over the fact that people who own guns and attend church can indeed be Democratic voters seems to be Mrs. Clinton's narrative, not Mr. Obama's.

April 13, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. Brian from NYC

Hillary Clinton's Dictionary

misspoken – you caught me telling a lie

Not relevant – I have misspoken, but it doesn't matter

I've been busy – I'm hoping I don't have to.......release taxes, ear marks, my schedule.

Against Trade Agreement – But please give my family money so I can finance my campaign

I opposed the Iraq War – I voted for it because I thought it would help me be present. I don't really care that the state I was representing is in the top three in deaths because of the war!

Every Vote Should Count – unless you voted for someone else then it doesn't!!!

ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!!

Barack 08

April 13, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  9. Scott K

Mrs. Clinton is ready to puke standing in the yard of these disgusting people. AShe despises these people, but she knows she needs votes like theirs if she wants to win, so she made up these lies about Church, and guns. No Mrs Clinton, we may never be smart as you, but we are not stupid.

What a sad human being you are. You and your husband. Now the whole world is beginning to see thge Mrs. Clinton we have always seen.

April 13, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  10. Tyler - Norman, OK

How is that irrelevant to the topic?

Once again, Clinton is twisting words, avoiding personal questions, and painting on a facade of sincerity. She is utilizing misleading words to reach out to constituents. Her facades of deceit are growing so old, I can't believe people even see an ounce of truth in her words. How can anyone desire a president who is continually misleading and lying to the public? SHE IS DISASTROUS AND MORE OF A THREAT TO HOMELAND SECURITY THAN AL QAEDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA 08. See the Light!

April 13, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  11. Marc

If you think Hillary is not going to push to take your guns away then go right ahead and vote for her,just don't be suprised when she shows her true colors and tries to take that right away from all of you.

April 13, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  12. obams

Sen. clinton is trying to distract voters from more important issues. We really dont care about guns and churches, You go to church or you shoot a gun, all that matters is the purpose and motive of doing so. Whatever happened to the Bosnia sniper firing lies, and the Healthcare-isurance-lead-death lies, I don't know. CNN should bring those news back to remind up-coming voters about the dangers of voting for the wrong person..
    Its OBAMA/OBAMA 08-016

April 13, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  13. Joe Harrison

Why is she allowed to get away with that? She decides what questions you can ask? The question was relevent. I can never trust this person. She's been dodging questions for 10 years. Then she makes up her own stories.

April 13, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  14. Jon Carry

Well I remember, Hilly. It was in Bosnia, 1996. You were pinned down by enemy sniper fire at the airport. Against all odds you beat a man to death with your bare hands, took his rifle and liberated the entire country!
    HiLIARy in 2008!

April 13, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  15. Kris B

It is important to know when the last time Hillary fired a weapon or sat in a pew. If Hillary is go go after Obama for being an elitist liberal, then she needs to prove her blue collar roots and get some credibility. We all know Hillary is big into gun control and probably hasn't seen a regular Sunday service without cameras for decades. She's talking out of both sides of her mouth on this issue and frankly the Obama folks could light her up with this if they had the fortitude. The only problem is Obama is also pro gun control and well, you've all seen what goes on in his "church" so he doesn't have a leg to stand on either.

April 13, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  16. Volt

Don't be fooled again by Mrs. Clinton. If she were to be elected, she would try AGAIN to ban all guns. It is typical of communism. As for Obama, expect REVENGE against white folks.

April 13, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  17. Fernando

I agree with her. Sorry Obama blind supporters.

Obama has got to stop with his stupid comments... he is giving republicans so much ammunition, we NEED those republican votes in november, especialyl from FL a state that we are goign to ignore !! He needs to pay attention, Wright was enough, now this bitter comment... I am starting to really wonder if he would be a good president.

April 13, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  18. glebs

Obama is a white-hater.

And part of that he got from his selfish rich hippy mother.

April 13, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  19. Jason

Of course it isn't relevant!

Clearly because you went out in the shed once to shoot a gun back when you were 6 and because you go to church a few times a year makes you an expert enough to put Obama in his place or at least chide him a little...

That elitist! He probably goes to church regularly as a way to once again show how much better he is then everyone else!

April 13, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  20. tigerakabj

You know what, this woman is reprehensible. When asked a simple question about what was her last time with a gun or going to church, she says, "Naw, I don't wanna talk about that. Let's talk about Obama! " Two more lies. Coming from a person who is hopping mad/bitter/angry about high gas prices/gov't corruption etc., we all know what Barack Obama meant. Pennsylvania, lets end this.

April 13, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  21. Kat

My God. The press actually asked Hillary a relevant question about her "church going, gun totin" spin.

Now they need to ask her if she has ever shot a gun after knocking back whiskey.

April 13, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  22. Jeanine G

I'm small town Ohio born and raised, I make my bills paycheck to paycheck, and you know what?

I AM BITTER.

The taste in my mouth for "business as usual" Washington politics, is very bitter, and I want something clear, and meaningful to wash away the bitterness. I want a candidate determined to make my voice heard in Washington.

Obama has nothing to apologize for. He was absolutely right.

I am tired of being ignored, tired of being misdirected into wars, cultural battles over different lifestyles, peoples, religions, and being told to keep my eye on those distracting birdies while Washington pulls the economic rug out from under me more and more each day.

Clinton can saw on this all she likes. Her lies have been exposed.

OBAMA '08

April 13, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  23. John Smith

Hillary and her supporters do not know how to talk about feelings. To help them out, here are other ways to feel "bitter"
    Please add these to your vocabs:

1. resentful
    2. angry
    3. cynical
    4. hostile
    5. feeling cheated (as Hillary does towards Monica)
    6. hot
    7. strong feelings

April 13, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  24. Amy

the height of hypocrisy, folks.

April 13, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  25. mary

I can't believe how the Media lets the Clinton Campaign set the discourse. Where are their tax returns from 2007? She gave her Campaign 5 mil, where did it come from? What about Bill and his donors and "speeches"? Colombia? And Hillary said words don't put food on the table! What about the 15 mil unaccounted for? Don't let the Clintons tell YOU whats relevant! What is this? Russia?

April 13, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |