April 14th, 2008

Blitzer: Dem elders starting to worry

Democratic elders are starting to worry about the increasingly bitter presidential race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A lot of Democrats are increasingly worried about the tough back-and-forth that is now part of the tense Hillary Clinton-Barack Obama race for the party’s presidential nomination.

There are some very passionate Clinton supporters who clearly don’t like Obama. And there are some very passionate Obama supporters who clearly don’t like Clinton. That is very evident. Just talk to both sides.

In fact, a poll in the current issue of Time magazine has alarmed many Democrats. The poll asked Obama voters if the presidential election were between Clinton and John McCain, whom would they vote for. In the poll, 16 percent said McCain and 16 percent said they don’t know. That’s 32 percent who refused to say flatly they would support Clinton – the other Democrat.

When Clinton supporters were asked whom they would support if the presidential race were between Obama and McCain, 26 percent said McCain and 18 percent said they don’t know. That’s 44 percent who refused to say flatly they would vote for Obama.

Thus, Clinton voters were more likely than Obama voters – at least in this poll – to actually pick McCain if their respective Democratic candidate lost the nomination.

Those of us who cover politics like to caution that all these polls are only snapshots. Once the political dust on the Democratic race settles, and there is an eventual nominee – whether Clinton or Obama – a different snapshot might emerge. Democrats, in the end, might still come together against the Republican candidate.

But right now, I can assure you, a lot of party elders are deeply worried that all this nastiness could wind up helping McCain.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Kari from Wisconsin

Once and for all, say it with me: President Barack Obama.
    It is time for all of us oldies to get out of the way for the future.

April 14, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  2. DGH

Hillary is ahead with registered Democrats. Obama takes the popular vote lead with independents and republicans.

April 14, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  3. Celia Ann in Michigan

The Democratic Leadership deserves all of the worry they get!!! They are almost useless. I have little confidence in Howard Dean, and not much more in Nancy Pelosi.

If the Republicans win, it will be the easiest win in the worst time for the Republicans to win in history.

They will have let Sen Clinton who is so darned despirate to win, ruin the party and they deserve it if they let her.

April 14, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  4. Independent-woman-voter-for-Obama

I agree that the BITTER campaign has hurt the Democrats, Hillary & Bill will be responsible for the McCain victory in November. What side are they on? On THEIR side, of course.

Who cares who had a beer or whiskey, who said what or misspoke? CAN WE PLEASE GET BACK TO THE ISSUES?

April 14, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  5. janis

I am one of the lifetime democrats that will vote republican if Obama gets the nomination. Here is why: When my sons were teenagers, I repeatedly gave them this advice, "Choose your friends wisely because birds of a feather flock together." Obama's friends are slum lords, and criminals, and preachers of hate. If he can't choose better friends in his personal life, what friendships will he develop as a president?

April 14, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  6. North Carolina

Add my name to the list of Clinton supporters who will never vote for Obama, Wolf. I've been a democrat all my life from local elections on up, but they've lost my loyalty with their disenfranchising voters, scheming to award delegates to a candidate who didn't win those delegates, and trying to force my candidate to drop out and leave me with no choice of vote. These actions should be seen as the serious threat to our Constitution that they actually are. Why doesn't anyone mention that Rev. Jesse Jackson stayed in the race until Nov.?

April 14, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  7. Rob

I can't decide who disgusts me more: the Clinton supporters who'll never support Obama because he's not a woman, or because he's black; or the Obama supporters who'll never support Clinton because she's not Obama, or because she's a woman.

Get real. I've already taught my five-year-old not to take his Pokemon cards and run away every time his older sister doesn't do exactly what he wants. He's learning that he has to be a 'big boy'. That he needs to learn to cooperate and make the best of less than perfect. That he needs to learn to cooperate.

There's a whole bunch of you that need to learn that, too. If you're so intent on having your own way, and would rather vote for Bush Light than a Democrat if you can't have way, then the next time you think this country is going to crap, don't blame George Bush. Take a good long look in a mirror.

Grow up, Dems. Quit whining and get ready to support whoever will end this Neocon nightmare as quickly as possible. Even if it's not your favorite color or gender.

April 14, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. FactCheck

All you Clinton dimwits who want to vote for McCain is "her highness" is not the Democratic candidate, please do. But don't come crying back with your hat in hand, looking for a handout after you've lost your jobs overseas and your neighbors or brothers (and tax dollars) have been shipped off to support the Iraqi States if America.

April 14, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  9. Swissdiver

HIllary supporters would rather vote for McCain or any other idiot rather than vote for Barack Obama. It's anyone but him. This should be a sign to the super delegates. If the Democratic party wouldn't pick Hillary, I'm sure there will be retribution and I'm all for it. If they pick Barack Huseein Obama, it will be the Democaratic Party's downfall. The horse will be trumpled again by the elephant!

April 14, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  10. Gigi

There is no way that I can vote for that woman who just manipulates people and is a big liar!

April 14, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  11. Penn State

Just try and make Clinton drop out of the race and see whats going to happen. If the so called "party elders" try and boot her out of the race because of Obama and his worshippers, many of us Clinton supporters will either vote McCain or not vote at all. I want them to try it!!

April 14, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  12. Tom in IA

I'm done with democrats and republicans, regardless of who wins the nomination. this entire process has been a freak show with the media as the ringmaster. i'm voting for nader.

April 14, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  13. sue ellen

I am truly amused by people who blame Hillary for being Divisive. Please, I have followed the electoral process for over 30 years. She is no more divisive than most, Obama on the other hand is extraordinarily divisive, but is a master at not taking any responsibility. He is the one I fear. I do hope that people wake up before its too late

April 14, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  14. Gigi

Go OBAMA!!! You are the best candidate!

April 14, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |