April 14th, 2008

Blitzer: Dem elders starting to worry

Democratic elders are starting to worry about the increasingly bitter presidential race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A lot of Democrats are increasingly worried about the tough back-and-forth that is now part of the tense Hillary Clinton-Barack Obama race for the party’s presidential nomination.

There are some very passionate Clinton supporters who clearly don’t like Obama. And there are some very passionate Obama supporters who clearly don’t like Clinton. That is very evident. Just talk to both sides.

In fact, a poll in the current issue of Time magazine has alarmed many Democrats. The poll asked Obama voters if the presidential election were between Clinton and John McCain, whom would they vote for. In the poll, 16 percent said McCain and 16 percent said they don’t know. That’s 32 percent who refused to say flatly they would support Clinton – the other Democrat.

When Clinton supporters were asked whom they would support if the presidential race were between Obama and McCain, 26 percent said McCain and 18 percent said they don’t know. That’s 44 percent who refused to say flatly they would vote for Obama.

Thus, Clinton voters were more likely than Obama voters – at least in this poll – to actually pick McCain if their respective Democratic candidate lost the nomination.

Those of us who cover politics like to caution that all these polls are only snapshots. Once the political dust on the Democratic race settles, and there is an eventual nominee – whether Clinton or Obama – a different snapshot might emerge. Democrats, in the end, might still come together against the Republican candidate.

But right now, I can assure you, a lot of party elders are deeply worried that all this nastiness could wind up helping McCain.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Debra

obama didn't just say that you are bitter. He said that when the going gets rough you become a racist, "antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment" or that you "cling "to guns or religion". only when the going gets rough. I don't expect the Obama fans to get this. They have closed their ears and brains off to what this bigot says a long time ago. They transfer his inflamatory remarks off onto McCain or Clinton even though there was a responsibility ontheir part to reject his comments and to respond to his inflamatory blurting that he did behind closed doors and behind peoples backs.. I love it.really, just reading the obama supporters comments. They try to justify his biggot comments by saying that they are bitter people. How far will they go to support this bigot?

April 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  2. Gorbashov, Long Beach, Ca.

If Billary, and her ClintRovian tactics, can't win she won't bat an eye taking the Peoples Party down with her!

Once a Republican always a Republican!

McSame Clinton in 2008.........................................for more of the same.

April 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  3. Greg, Pennsylvania

And there are convervative republicans out there like me that don't like or trust either one of them.

April 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  4. Rob

Don't worry Wolf, as soon as Pelosi, Reed, Gore, and Edwards have a public meeting / rally about the democratic nominee, this will not stick. The party will be united by November, mark my words sir!

April 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  5. Carolina

These polls are seldom accurate. Have to wait til the votes are counted - and then pray that they weren't altered, a la the 2000 election putting
    Bush in office instead of Gore.

April 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. fred

Those democratic elders should ask Clinton to drop out the. The odds are really against her; just look at the math.

April 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. Janie, Raleigh, N.C.

I am one of those who will never vote for Obama if he wins the nomination of my party and I have told the DNC that fact. Obama demeans Hillary and shows arrogance. Now, he has 40 million dollars in his campaign chest and he can throw everything at her. I believe that if the early states had known about Rev. Wright and had heard Obama's put down of small town voters earlier, they would never have voted for him. It is a shame that this man is almost ready to win this contest. We Democrats are about ready to blow this general election again. Let Florida and Michigan seat the delegates they elected. Surely they are as Democratic as those caucuses.

April 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  8. Lilarose

OK, Dems

You have LOST me as a voter!

I truly can't stand this crap.

I suggest that Hillary and Barack go back to WORK at their day jobs as SENATORS. It has been almost two years since this charade began!

I am NOT going to vote in Oregon's primary and I am NOT going to vote in November....

Not for anyone!

Too much, too much, too much!

April 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  9. Rob

I will never vote for Hillary. After this whole bitterness mess . I would rather not vote at all then watch her in office. Now she has McCain talking about not going at her and just focusing on trying to get Obama out of the race cause he wants to run against Hillary seals it for me. I will never vote for Hillary. Period.

April 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  10. rose

What the dem officials need to do is put an end to this, cause it is really hurting the campaign, and Hilliary is not stopping it is a do or die in her eyes, so please put this to rest.

April 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  11. bakersfield

IF OBAMA WINS I PROMISE I WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN, BECAUSE THERE MAY HAVE BEEN ALOT OF ISSUES GOING ON WITH BILL IN THE WH BUT LIFE WAS ALOT BETTER. WITH OBAMA REV WRIGHT NAFTA I BELIVE THERE IS SOMETHING REAL FISHY ABOUT OBAMA. I HAVE MET ALOT OF SMOOTH TALKERS IN MY TIME AND OVER TIME THEY NEVER AMOUNTED TO MUCH OF ANYTHING.

April 14, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  12. HYPOCRACY 08

Well what do you expect? When two people continuously throw mud at each other... jump on each other at every turn... while at the same time say they want to unite the country when they can't unite their own party... this is what happens.

The election will be handed to McCain because of the bad blood that will be left from this primary! Both Senators.... Obama and Clinton should be ashamed... but I doubt they are

April 14, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  13. Mike

I can understand why many people don't like John McCain. After all he supports the war in Iraq. A war too many people don't have the stomach for anymore. But he is the only candidate in this race who can say he will work with both parties and can actually back it up. After all he is the only candidate who clearly shows a history of working with Democrats to get things accomplished for the American people. Neither Clinton or Obama can claim that. And clearly neither one has the experience that McCain has. You might not like McCain's stance on the war but he clearly will be someone, if elected, who works with both sides and gets things done.
    So Hillary and Barack can go on bickering and having their little childish high school catfight because it helps McCain get closer to becoming what this country needs, and that is a true leader, a negotiator, and someone who is strong enough to stand up for all of us and not just their special little cliques. Trust me, Hillary cares not a whit about your pathetic little life or your problems. Once she gets your vote she'll forgot about you as is you don't even exist. And Obama has not a shred of credentials that are even worth considering as Presidential quality.

April 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  14. Carol

Oh good grief, Dean, Brazile and CNN worry every time their guy gets a bump. You guys are as wimpy as your candidate.

Wow, that 16 versus 26%. I like that. Think CNN and MSNBC are going to get a clue?

April 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. Deb, Texas

The elders of the Democratic Party have something to worry about. This race is getting real dirty and the media is just feeding into the DIRT. This situation really saddens me and many others. The superdelegates need to try and end this madness, because this is getting out of hand. It looks like this race is going to destroy the party and I feel no pain for that because NOW I KNOW JUST WHERE THE PEOPLE REALLY STAND IN THESE AMERICAS.

April 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. Angus McDugan

I have truly enjoyed the Dem competition, and I believe it has made both candidates better prepared for the next step. I also, believe that Hillary's negative campaign tatics, her issues with the truth, her display of lacking leadership in her campaign, and her "I" will win at all costs (forget about everyone else) attitude has cost her the election. The super deligates see her ethical flaws, and the voters have developed such strong negative feelings for the oposition that they may have rendered each other as unelectable.

April 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. Thomas, LA

They're just starting to worry now??

Gee, way to be on the ball you twits!

We're well past the point that Hillary's doomed futile campaign should have been shut down. Everyone should know better to count on her or her blind supporters to do the right thing and support Obama. Did it not strike you that Hillary's shameful attack on Obama was almost the exact same as McCain's?

Let's check her income taxes again, I bet there's a payroll check in there from the National Republican Party.

Way to go go, NDP, you managed to find a way to lose again. Impressive.

April 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. sozzi

Mr. Blitzer, thanks to you and CNN, by supporting Hillary Clinton, you have helped her bring down the democratic party for her friends the republicans.

April 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  19. angie

If they were really worried about Clinton supporters, the DNC would seat (either with revotes or as is) FL & MI. Unlike a lot of Obama supporters the Clinton supporters think it is only a fair process if voters in all 50 states have a chance to have their votes count. We are old enough to remember the travesty of FL in 2000 - we didn't like it then, we do not like it now. If FL & MI are seated in a meaningful way & Obama wins the nomination, most Clinton supporters will come back to the fold. Obama supporters, on the other hand, care more about the captain than the team.

April 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  20. honkey white guy from cali

Well good I am glad they are getting worried you know why here is the real reason! with Sen Clinton they know exactly what they will get, What ever they pay her for. With Sen Obama they do not have that much control or him he is supported and working for it seems more and more each day the American people as a whole not just one group of well off people or poor people but all of us and if he is able to gain the support of the people he will be able to push through and change many things in the government and give power back to the people. If the senior leaders could get rid of Obama and keep HRC they would, but they can't because he is being supported by the people and to do so now at this late time int he game would mean the DNC would fall either way. There only shot is to come on board also and help shape this change in a way that works for all us us and is respectful of all are independent ideas and beliefs.

Go Obama 08 Yes We Can!!

April 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  21. Randy - Denver

Just goes to show that people are NOT looking at policies but that this is more of a "beauty contest" than the election for a president. But once the furor dies and the DNC has a candidate things will change... either way it will not be the dems or repubs who decide this election it will be us independants.. and maybe someone should ask US which way we will go...

April 14, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  22. T Baker

It should worry the Democratic party – many of the Obama supporters (myself included) support Obama not only because we feel he would be the best leader for our great country, but also because we are tired of the same old same old. Hilary Clinton represents the status quo in Washington just as much as John McCain does ... more of the same.

If it is between Clinton and McCain – I'm not sure I would bother voting..... I certainly wouldn't vote for McCain just to spite Clinton, as I've heard many say they would do ... that to me just makes absolutely no sense. But I'm not sure I could bring myself to vote for Hilary Clinton either, as she represents everything that is wrong with Washington just as much as John McCain does.

April 14, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  23. Realistic

If McBush wins in November, blame it on Hillary's poor imitation of Huckabee and staying in the race long after it was mathematically over. She should have dropped out after she got landslided in Virginia, but instead she stayed in to split the party.

The curious thing is that some senior Dems continue to support her even though it is clearly Obama who is brining many new voters in to the Democratic party, and Hillary isn't attracting any of them. In fact, she'll lose her core consituency over the next four years due to the natural causes that take the very elderly.

April 14, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  24. Lourdes

Obama, if you can read this, DROP OUT! Do the party a favor. Besides, how can you claim to unite when your statements have done nothing but divide and generalize?

If Obama wins the nom, my vote is going to Nader OR I am writing Hillary in.

April 14, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  25. Lee in Canada

Time magazine ran a cartoon a while back showing John McCain being sworn in with Clinton and Obama sitting on the sidelines. Hillary's comment was "It was my turn, kid." That sums this mess up in a nutshell.

April 14, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |