April 14th, 2008

Blitzer: Dem elders starting to worry

Democratic elders are starting to worry about the increasingly bitter presidential race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A lot of Democrats are increasingly worried about the tough back-and-forth that is now part of the tense Hillary Clinton-Barack Obama race for the party’s presidential nomination.

There are some very passionate Clinton supporters who clearly don’t like Obama. And there are some very passionate Obama supporters who clearly don’t like Clinton. That is very evident. Just talk to both sides.

In fact, a poll in the current issue of Time magazine has alarmed many Democrats. The poll asked Obama voters if the presidential election were between Clinton and John McCain, whom would they vote for. In the poll, 16 percent said McCain and 16 percent said they don’t know. That’s 32 percent who refused to say flatly they would support Clinton – the other Democrat.

When Clinton supporters were asked whom they would support if the presidential race were between Obama and McCain, 26 percent said McCain and 18 percent said they don’t know. That’s 44 percent who refused to say flatly they would vote for Obama.

Thus, Clinton voters were more likely than Obama voters – at least in this poll – to actually pick McCain if their respective Democratic candidate lost the nomination.

Those of us who cover politics like to caution that all these polls are only snapshots. Once the political dust on the Democratic race settles, and there is an eventual nominee – whether Clinton or Obama – a different snapshot might emerge. Democrats, in the end, might still come together against the Republican candidate.

But right now, I can assure you, a lot of party elders are deeply worried that all this nastiness could wind up helping McCain.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Bill Brown Dallas, TX

Oh, they're not worried. Keep in mind you're talking about delusional people who still think all they have to do to win this year is say Bush stole the 2000 election. A news flash, Dems: Bush ain't on the ballot!

The question they ought to be asking is this: "How is it that we are on the brink of (if not in) a recession, have an unpopular war with a supporter of that war as the opponent but we're still dead even in the polls?"

The Dems ought to be fifteen points ahead. But not only are they not ahead, they're destroying the party trying to find a nominee. Mark my words, Hillary Clinton is going to make sure Obama doesn't win the general if he gets the nomination.

Do you REALLY think her goal in life was to be a New York Senator? Why should you think that goal – that she had as a child – ever changed?

April 14, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  2. duane

IMO, the elders should be worried. One only needs to read the comments on this board. But don't blame the candidates. There is no reason why either Hillary or Obama should drop out the race. Blame the ridiculous nomination process–one that the Democrats created. A system that is not winner-take-all-delegates, and a system that allows superdelegates to vote independently. The democrats created the crazy system, so live with it.

April 14, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  3. Diane

Have any of you read Carl Bernsteins blog yesterday? Maybe youshould. Get over Hillary? She's a frumpy old has-been. She also is the ONE who started throwing the so-called MUD in the first place.
    GROW UP PEOPLE!!!! OBAMA '08

April 14, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  4. becky

I will not vote for Hillary or McCain... I will do a write-in on the ballot or stay home. I will never put Hillary in office....not now and not 4 years from now... Never. So if Obama losses the Dems will loose and the people of America will loose....I am tired of loosing.

April 14, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. I used to be a Democrat

I used to be a Democrat. I can confirm that Mr. Blitzer is correct.

Dems will lose in November.

April 14, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. david Lambert

i see people wont vote for obama thats sad really shows that the american people do not want their lives to change just keep it the way it is thats disturbing really. Barack tells the truth and i see some cant handle the truth sad again in the fact we are told to tell the truth at very young ages. But yet instead of hope they want to stay in a war and keep the people in office that really do not care but ok so be it im vorting to change something in america. im 24 years old and see that america is bitter and blames things on everyone else but themselves for getting in the position there in.

April 14, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. wisdom

We will never vote for Obama. He is great about talking change (to worse?) Words are just words America! Obama will not win, because we will make sure he doesn't.

If not Hillary, then McCain! There is NO other option!

April 14, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  8. aware

The next president will be Hillary Clinton or John McCain. Obama might buy the Dem nomination but he is not electable in the general.

Obama’s latest ill advised remarks behind closed doors reveal what he really thinks. His words were elitist and racist. This arrogant, mocking, condescending, mean, attacking, uncivil, power hungry ego maniac is not fit to be president of the USA. :(

The party doesn't matter anymore. It is all about who will be the best president in 08! :)

April 14, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. ***AMERICAN***

What a bunch of babies. Why don't you take your toys and go home. Which party do you really want to run the country?

April 14, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  10. Brady

To all the voters who will no longer be voters:
    Will you all hold your breath until you turn blue, too? Threats like these are childish, as are all these gutter-level comments being tossed back and forth at each other.

If any Democrat chooses to vote for McCain, well, then they weren't a Democrat to begin with. And if they do vote for McCain, please don't listen to them complain when we invade Iran.

Grow up, fools

April 14, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. Marilyn

The DNC should be worried! I promise you if Obama gets the nomination this is one life-long Democrat who will vote for McCain.

April 14, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. In Chicago

Oh good grief!!!
    start playing the violins and mandolins!
    The Billary supporters and singing a sad song! If Billary cared about the DNC, she would be out of the race by now. She does not care if the DNC is ruined as long as she goes down with a fight and brings all with her.
    Stop cryin' her woes, she says she's tough then let her be tough. poor, poor Billary....there, there
    grief!

April 14, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  13. Fred TN

Here we go again! Who's the nastiest of them all in this election? Who's the one who's lied time and time again? By serving as 1st Lady to the Govenor and in the White House does not qualify as experience; as Hillary has laid out. She has one term more as a Senator than he does; but she never served on the state level. She's much of the same and will drive the Democractic Party in the ground because she want to win at whatever cost! People.. wake up and end this thing!

April 14, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  14. SF

I will never vote for Lying Clinton...and after today, McCain either.

Somewhere in my logic, I felt McCain might have morals. Guess Not. He jumped on the Hillary bandwagon because he knows who he doesn't want in the fall election running against him – Obama!

Gun totin', whiskey drinkin', "I am the only one who feels your pain", elitist Hillary – what a joke!

I think Nader is on the ticket somewhere...

I might vote for him in the fall just to prove a point.

April 14, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  15. Jane MN

Without the base numbers, the percentages alone are almost meaningless.

April 14, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  16. Paula

I have always voted independent in the elections. I wholeheartedly support Barack Obama but if Hillary gets the nomination I will back her as it is the issues that count. Politicians all make mistakes but it is the basic beliefs that count. Ending this war is the way to vote, health care is the way to vote, creating new jobs is the way to vote. I hope Barack wins, but my heart is behind a stronger United States of America and that will not happen if we have four more years of the same ideology.

April 14, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. Jane MN

Without the base numbers, the percentages alone are almost meaningless.

April 14, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  18. elle

why does the liberal media not follow up or ask the questions that refer to Obama's relationship with terrorist organization "weathermen " responsible for bombings of federal buildings? He has a marxist point of view and the liberal media covers for him. How about reporting and quit editorializing.

April 14, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  19. JimC

I despise both Clinton and Obama, but when November rolls around, almost all of their supporters are going to vote for the Democratic nominee. They're not going to sit home or vote for McCain.

I wish it weren't so, but Democrats WILL suck it up and vote for their candidate in November.

April 14, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  20. DGH

The misogynists Elton John spoke of at his concert for Hillary are out in full force here.

April 14, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. anne

I truly do not trust HRC. I hate the thought of the Clintons bac k in the White House. I would definately vote for McCain if she would get the nomination!

April 14, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  22. debbie

I am so tired of miss hillary getting away with all of her corruption and lies and telling people what they want to hear and doing something different!!! It's called dishonesty!

Barack has not gotten dirty until this new stupidity came out. I can not even believe it. He is the best candidate that has come along in along time.

If Barack gets this stolen from him after bringing so many people into the party I am also done. I will vote for McCain, and your polls you take on the Obama side are not accurate because these new people that have come aboard will not support hillary. I am appalled that she is allowed to even bring attacks when she has so much dirt on her. Wow I am amazed and will be watching what happens not on the news media because they are biased also, but through Baracks website.

April 14, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  23. NO OBAMA

Count me in that group and I am as blue dog of a democrat as it gets!! I just cannot and will not accept Obama as the nominee and certainly not as the President.

April 14, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  24. fred2 the idiot took my name

Diane, Obama is a frumpy, ugly never- been, and never will be!!!

Go Hillary!!!

Becky, there are more of us than there are of you!!

Go Hillary!!!

April 14, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  25. Mary

Bill & Hillary Clinton don't seem to agree on anything.

What's up with that?

Kind of makes you wonder what kind of candidate Hillary would really be?

April 14, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |