April 14th, 2008

Blitzer: Dem elders starting to worry

Democratic elders are starting to worry about the increasingly bitter presidential race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A lot of Democrats are increasingly worried about the tough back-and-forth that is now part of the tense Hillary Clinton-Barack Obama race for the party’s presidential nomination.

There are some very passionate Clinton supporters who clearly don’t like Obama. And there are some very passionate Obama supporters who clearly don’t like Clinton. That is very evident. Just talk to both sides.

In fact, a poll in the current issue of Time magazine has alarmed many Democrats. The poll asked Obama voters if the presidential election were between Clinton and John McCain, whom would they vote for. In the poll, 16 percent said McCain and 16 percent said they don’t know. That’s 32 percent who refused to say flatly they would support Clinton – the other Democrat.

When Clinton supporters were asked whom they would support if the presidential race were between Obama and McCain, 26 percent said McCain and 18 percent said they don’t know. That’s 44 percent who refused to say flatly they would vote for Obama.

Thus, Clinton voters were more likely than Obama voters – at least in this poll – to actually pick McCain if their respective Democratic candidate lost the nomination.

Those of us who cover politics like to caution that all these polls are only snapshots. Once the political dust on the Democratic race settles, and there is an eventual nominee – whether Clinton or Obama – a different snapshot might emerge. Democrats, in the end, might still come together against the Republican candidate.

But right now, I can assure you, a lot of party elders are deeply worried that all this nastiness could wind up helping McCain.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Ind.

It is true and probably too late to save the Dem Party this election. As an Ind. I voted for Bush, I had planned to vote for Obama but believe he may have to step aside for Clinton to avoid her scorching the earth under our feet, she is a scorned woman out of control. If elected I fear she is capable of starting WWIII

April 14, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  2. Rob

Hillary is unelectable. Obama is the the only choice for me. I can't even stand to see this women's face on tv any more and listen to the poison that comes out of forked tongue mouth of hers.

April 14, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  3. DGH

Wow, I am amazed that people here think Hillary has the power to change an election. How does she do that by herself? She needs to team up with David Copperfield!

April 14, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  4. GCG - Austin, TX

Debra,

He did not say that at all. He said that because of the feeling that no one in Washington is listening to the economic distress and problems, people cling to and focus on ancillary issues such as immigration (or not), religion (or not), etc. Perhaps you should try reading the entire text of what was said instead of believing what you read by the "mainstream" media that provides sound bites only.

April 14, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  5. SBvoter

Hey, Obama supporters. If Hillary wins stay home-we don't need your votes. He can't even speak without making a mistake or stuttering.

April 14, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. Alexa

Definitely!! I will not vote for Obama if he gets the nomination. I honestly believe he would not be good for the country. I have been a Democrat since I could vote, but I would just go Independent. I just can't see Obam being a good leader. Come back in 10 years when there's some experience!!

April 14, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  7. mendoza

so from what i am reading the clinton supporters are saying if obama wins the primary with more states won, more pledge delicates, and more of the popular vote , they will either not vote or vote for mccain in novemeber! wow it is glad to see that after all the support the african american community has given the democratic party and escpecially the clintons that they would vote mccain then to support the democratic party in novemeber! will the real democreats please stand up for what is right!

April 14, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. Jen

I am disgusted by Clinton, if she wins through her divisive techniques, I am one who will sadly stay home...I can't bring myself to vote Republican, but I WILL NOT support Clinton. By the way, I am a white, well-educated woman, always a democrat, but I am sick and tired of politics as usual....I want to see the change I think Barack Obama can bring to this country. Obama and Gore, or Obama and Edwards, yes, they can count on me, but if Clinton's on the ticket, count me out!

April 14, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  9. Torey Williams

Bitter, angry, upset, bothered, disenchanted...WHAT is the difference? these folks ARE bitter at the process, bitter because they don't feel like politicians pay attention to them, bitter that for whatever reason we can't be adult about our differences. At this point McCain doesn't have to do any work to divide Democrats, Hillary is doing ALL the work herself. How childish to hang on to a man's every work to validate your candidacy. Shame on you Hillary! my solution? The Republicans should drop McCain and nominate Hillary so Obama can beat her again!

April 14, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. spend 2 minutes to research

Can everyone who is tempted to write "Obama is an empty suit" and offers no plans spend just 2 minutes to google OBAMA BLUEPRINT FOR CHANGE.

I am particularly interested in education and energy policy and was thrilled to see his plans and ieas – right on target.

April 14, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. JCB

Hillary should stay in through the convention - our founding fathers meant for citizens to have the right to vote for the candidate of their choice. If Hill drops out, that would not be possible. These old democrats need to back out and shut up. Let the democratic process continue. If they think Obama can't win because the election process continues, then he shouldn't be the nominee anyway. Count Michigan and Florida as the votes stand, no matter how hard Obama and his reps fight to take them away. That is the American way!
    Hillary 2008

April 14, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  12. woody

AL GORE FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  13. Max

All the poll truly shows is that TRUE Democrats will with the party. It just happens that most TRUE Dems are in Obamas corner. I wish people would wake up and look at who will get something accomplished with the United States of America. It is in shambles and Hillary is kicking the pieces off to the side while she tries to get what she THINKS she is entitled to.

Obama '08

April 14, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  14. Sam from Georgia

If Hillary were to get the nomination, I don't think I would vote... as hard as that is for me to say. I think Obama truly offers us a chance to come back together. I guess that message just isn't as popular as I thought it was amongst Americans. I truly respect Senator Clinton, but she is indeed a "fighter," but of Republicans more than anything... she's someone you want on your side, but we need a "uniter" to lead us forward, I believe.

April 14, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  15. cximines

When I was growing up, I was told that if you throw a rock at a pack of dogs, the one that gets hit yells the loudest. Sounds like Barack accurately described a lot of people and they are upset that their secret is out. Instead of looking inward to see that there are some things they need to change, they lash out at him for telling the truth openly. Unfortunately sometimes the truth hurts.

Tell me who is happy about the state of America today? Tell me who hasn't had to pray just a little harder about trying to make ends meet or just say thank you for things being as well as they are. Also, what american has not noticed that there are a lot of foreigners coming over to America taking good jobs making good money.

People are acting like he made all this stuff up. He didn't and its the main people that need the help he is trying to give that will continue to stay in the situation they are in.

You can either sit here and be bitter for another 4 years or you can try to be better.... Just do the right thing.

April 14, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  16. Anne, Gig Harbor, WA

I am a good Democrat girl. I will vote for the eventual Democratic Nominee, whomever it is. I have to. All Democrats have to! Do we want another third Bush Term, staying 100 years or more in Iraq just because your choice didn't win? You have to stay with your party! People who say they will vote for McCain if they're person doesn't win are just being immature babies. This primary battle is getting pretty nasty though and our party elders and super delegates should be paying attention. It could be that there is irreversible damage being done. I also think that if the super delegates overturn the votes of pledged delegates, popular votes and states won there is going to be real problem Wolf!

April 14, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  17. Richard

Hillary Clinton is a pathelogical liar!!!! She is much too dangerous to be POTUS!! If anybody missed it, Tim Russert ripped Hillary to shreads yesterday on "Meet the Press." If she ends up screwing Barack out of his hard fought win, then I'm afraid I'll have to sit this election out. Or maybe vote for Nadar.

April 14, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  18. Hayden

If Obama becomes the nominee, I VOTING MCCAIN!

April 14, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  19. Nicole

It's really disappointing to see people saying that "If Hillary doesn't get it, I'm voting for McCain" or that "If Obama doesnt' get it, I'm voting for McCain". How can any intelligent person be willing to vote for someone(i.e. McCain)whose views are exactly opposite of their preferred candidate?

Put aside this bickering and get real: Vote in the best interest of this train wreck economy, our schools, or the TROOPS! A McCain presidency would exasperate all of those problems. Trillions more on a pointless war means havoc for our economy and schools.

April 14, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  20. holt109

Just stop it!!! The real issue is that if you're a real democrat and believe in what they stand for on all the issues, then the bottom line is that when it gets right down to it, you're gonna vote democrat; no question. But if you have some beef rather if it's a black man or a woman, then it's clear that "issue #1" is really your "issue #2."

April 14, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  21. Thomas in Florida

Count me in the percentage that would NEVER vote for Hillary.

I can't stand Rush...but he's right...this campaign is Operation Caos. Time for the elders to do their job and pull Billary from this thing before they destroy the party...which may happen when she unleashes her next kitchen sink attack this week.

April 14, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  22. Duane Dunn

Clinton supports we don't need your vote anyway...we have more than enough support for Obama to be president ...so take your vote and shove it....

GO OBAMA!!!!!

April 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  23. Cindy in California

When the campaigns of both of them started I had decided to support whoever our democratic nominee is in the general election. I would have supported Hillary or Barack, but I have had a change of heart.

Hillary and her husband Bill Clinton, have proved to be a very divisive people who don't care about the party, she only cares about herself, and she will destroy anyone who gets in her way.

She seems to feel a sense of entitlement to the office of the presidencey. She is completely out of line in attacking someone who is on the same team as she is. I will never, ever vote for her. If she is the nominee I will most likely not vote at all, because I would not waste my vote on John Mc Cain.

April 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  24. Deb

With people starving all over the world, an unjust war, our economy in the toilet and our educational systems failing our children; isn't it time to get over this petty in fighting and come together for the good of the country??
    I am an Obama supporter and think he's made a few mistakes but all and all has run a better campaign and is a better promise for my grandchildren's future. I hope the DNP and the candidates get together and make a decsion that will allow us all to move forward,. It's time to put ego and self interests aside and actually do what's right for our country.

April 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  25. Steve

They should be Obama becoming a liability with all his excuses , lies and where he get's his money from that can be Chek Out on Fact Check. org going back to Jan. 2008.

April 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |