April 14th, 2008

Blitzer: Dem elders starting to worry

Democratic elders are starting to worry about the increasingly bitter presidential race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A lot of Democrats are increasingly worried about the tough back-and-forth that is now part of the tense Hillary Clinton-Barack Obama race for the party’s presidential nomination.

There are some very passionate Clinton supporters who clearly don’t like Obama. And there are some very passionate Obama supporters who clearly don’t like Clinton. That is very evident. Just talk to both sides.

In fact, a poll in the current issue of Time magazine has alarmed many Democrats. The poll asked Obama voters if the presidential election were between Clinton and John McCain, whom would they vote for. In the poll, 16 percent said McCain and 16 percent said they don’t know. That’s 32 percent who refused to say flatly they would support Clinton – the other Democrat.

When Clinton supporters were asked whom they would support if the presidential race were between Obama and McCain, 26 percent said McCain and 18 percent said they don’t know. That’s 44 percent who refused to say flatly they would vote for Obama.

Thus, Clinton voters were more likely than Obama voters – at least in this poll – to actually pick McCain if their respective Democratic candidate lost the nomination.

Those of us who cover politics like to caution that all these polls are only snapshots. Once the political dust on the Democratic race settles, and there is an eventual nominee – whether Clinton or Obama – a different snapshot might emerge. Democrats, in the end, might still come together against the Republican candidate.

But right now, I can assure you, a lot of party elders are deeply worried that all this nastiness could wind up helping McCain.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. julie

To all you Obama supporters, blame it on the media, We would not feel this way, if it had not been for the apparent media bias for Obama .I will never vote for Obama,

April 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. Bebble

OBAMA'S FLIP ON ABORTION

As strong and consistent abortion foes, Sen. Robert P. Casey Jr. and former congressman Timothy J. Roemer are anomalies in a Democratic Party that has overwhelmingly advocated abortion rights. Yet both are backing Sen. Barack Obama, whom one conservative blogger dubbed "the most pro-abortion candidate ever."

As firmly as Casey (Pa.) and Roemer (Ind.) have adhered to their opposition, Obama has never supported a single measure that would curtail access to abortion - even under controversial circumstances. But Casey and Roemer have chosen to ignore Obama's legislative record, and are promoting the Democratic presidential candidate to their antiabortion allies as someone who could achieve a new consensus on the issue.

April 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. henrie alabama

YES WOLF I WORRY ABOUT THE PARTY I HAVE TWO THAT ARE IN THEIR 30'S AND HAS NEVER REGISTER TO VOTE UNTIL THIS YEAR. THEY ARE FOR OBAMA . THEY SAID IF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY MAKES HILLARY CLINTON THE NOMINEE THEY WOULD NEVER VOTE AGAIN

April 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  4. barry

so the democratic leadership didnt look under the hood before they made their choice for the party…once again the democrats implode and put a republican in the white house. you have to give the republican credit for being smart. they made their nominee the only guy that would take a vote from a democrat. i should know. he is getting my vote if obama is the democratic nominee..

April 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. MM

to Hillary supporters:

Get with the program. If you want the war to continue vote McCain. For those of you to lazy to do research, Obama has twice as much legislative experience then Hillary, more 5 times as much experience as a public servant, and has built his organization from the ground up. You people hang off Hillary's every word likes she's deserves to be president. Reality Check Obama wasn't degrading small towns. We the entire text. Seems to me all you know of is one sentence out of three paragraph answer he gave. But no matter what happens Hillary or Obama, McCain should not be President. Why because of the War.

April 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  6. Vicki

Hillary all the way in 2008, I will not vote for Obama or McCain maybe Al Gore will decide to run again since the election was stolen from him in the first place. We do not need another election where the supreme court or the super delegates decide who wins. This is enough to make me an independent.

April 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  7. Chris

The 'Elitist' mind set that everyone is so happy to place on Obama is so, misdirected.
    An Elistist is someone like HRC who basically thought she was entitled to the nomination just because of who she is.
    Prior to the start of the Primaries she basically was a shoe in to win in everyone eyes and POLL.
    She felt she was entitled to win this election all the way to the WH.
    However when she was slapped into reality in Iowa and subsequently the other States she lost, what did she do? She start to throw mud.
    She has the attitude that if I can't have It, I be dammned if a first term Senator from IL will take this from me.
    So, if the Hillary supports don't vote for Obama hey the next 4 or 8 years of the same of Bush Policies are on them.
    The next 4 or 8 years of the War in Iraq is on them.
    The next 4 or 8 years of this economy is on them.
    The next 4 or 8 years of no Health Care is on them.

So, if you ask me you HRC and for that matter the Mcain folks too need to focus on what you want in the next 4 or 8 years. Otherwise you think it hard now as they say you ain't seen nothing yet!!!

April 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  8. Tony

If Obama wins I will vote for McCain

April 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  9. Tim from Buffalo

I think the democratic leadership is right to be concerned, but only as a contingency, there's still no direct evidence that the party won't come together and in the meantime they're getting the bulk of the news coverage which most agree plays to their advantage.

Regarding the geniuses who continue to bring up one campaign or the other's talking points in an effort to "prove" that one candidate is right or wrong about how people from rural PA feel, let's face it – if you're not from rural PA you don't know whether Obama's "bitter" comment was accurate or whether it will resonate with voters. I wish CNN was better at not posting these nonconstructive comments.

April 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  10. vic nashville,Tn

Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

April 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  11. MD

Democtrat Elders deserve what they are getting. For once, they had a chance to win the general election with near certainty, and they allowed the Clintons ruin things AGAIN.

I am a Republican. I am waiting for Obama to get the nomination, and then I will vote for him. There are thousands of people like me in America. What does the Democratic Party do? They alienate people like me because they don't have the spine to stand up to the Clintons.

April 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  12. Wake up people!

This is not the first poll to show that Clinton supports would not Obama. Wake up fellow democrates and get out of the Obama spell! We really do not know this guy. Don't vote on charisma but vote for substance! We are voting for our President...not a rock star!

Go Hillary! Keep fighting!

April 14, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  13. Yomama

Obama- boy does he sound anti-American or what?

“As I’ve said about the flag pin, I don’t want to be perceived as taking sides,”
    Obama said. “There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a
    symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know,
    the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial
    and less bellicose. I like the song ‘I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing.’ If that were
    our anthem, then I might salute it.”

April 14, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  14. Willam from Texas

This poll just goes to show that it would be better for the party if Hillary got the nom, at least we wouldn't lose as many voters than we would if Obama got the nom, The only way to unify the party is for them to run on the same ticket, the same way Kennedy and Johnson did.

April 14, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  15. Leila

I am a lifelong Demoocrat who can say flatly that I will not vote for Obama.
    I saw the previous story where he mocked Hillary for "taking a shot" at a bar. And he says he is going to run a different campaign. He is going to change politics! What a lie! He is as bad or worse. What is the point of talking about what Hillary drank that day? If Obama cannot stop attacking Hillary Clinton, how can he say he will work with Republicans or foreign dignitaries?
    He addresses groups with a sterotype. What, Senator Obama, is a "typical white person"? You referred to "typical white people" when you were diparaging your own grandmother. What else do you think of small town Americans besides that they are bitter, cling to guns, count on religion only when in times of need and are bigots? A person who feels the way BO does about groups of people and who stereotypes them is dangerous and certainly thinks he is better than others.
    NObama!

April 14, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  16. JuneB

Good thing there are so many fewer Clinton supporters. ;-)

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  17. Mike

Count me as a Hillary supporter who will vote for McCain – no matter what, if Obama wins the Democratic nomination. Many Independent voters who normally lean Democrat will do the same. Hispanic and Asian voters also. Obama can not win, especially now. This is in large part due to his overzealous and rude supporters who arrogantly think that Obama can win without Hillary supporters. If the Obama campaign does not practice what it allegedly preaches, a Republican will win the White House once again.

Hillary of McCain for President. Keep the snobs out of the White House.

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. smart grrl in ls mo

I am one who will probably vote for McCain if Obama is the candidate. I'm a "moderate" and feel that McCain is a shorter distance to the right of Clinton than Obama is to the left.

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  19. tap

l am Obama supporter l became Obama supporter after Edward droped out and l wiil not support Hillary if she becomes the nominie she is a lier power hungry,and they were in the white house for 8 years .if she did not do anything good for America during that time what makes you thin she wiil it.NAFTA, COLUMBIA TRADE AND WATERGATE.there are suppose to retire and enjoy deal monies

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  20. John Smith

The Hillary supporters should stop using "uppercase" letters to talk to others on this blog. They are as inconsiderate and insulting as their candidate. Please you rich people should stop shouting at us, the little people. Thank you. Vote for 8 more years of a disgraceful administration, the Clintons!!!

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. gary

FRED . MATH DONT MEAN --. OUR COUNTRY NEEDS TO WORRY ABOUT A LEADER THAT IS QUALIFIED ENOUGH TO RUN IT. YOU THING S.D. ARE GOING TO GO TO A CANIDATE THAT HAS NO TRACK RECORD OR ANY KNOW HOW AROUND THE WHITEHOUSE. GIVE ME A BREAK. THAT LEAVES O.B. OUT. HRC IS OUR ONLY PRAYER, AND HAS KNOWLEDGE AROUND THE WHITEHOUSE POLICIES.

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  22. Oregon IS Obama

It's OK , Oregon will put her away on may 20th , and there will be plenty of time to heal.

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  23. D in NM

What do you expect from AMERICANS when Obama does not monitor his own prejudices before he speaks. The recent exposure of his friends (Rezko, Ayers and Wright) have given Americans a closer view of the man they call OBAMA>
    Obama refused to alloe Michigan their re-vote YET says he is a Uniter ( but only if the wind blows his way!)
    Check out the aol article today by Justin Paulette on Michelle Obama's comments and you'll see what the White House would look like with Barry , multi-million dollar, Michelle and the girls at the Helm!

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. Kelley

I am an Obama supporter and I will truly have a hard time casting my vote for Hillary. I believe she is sn intelligent woman, but do not think she will be able to get anything accomplished .I believe she is divisive. This is the first election that i have seen so many young people involved in politics, they are our future, I know the Clinton supporters call them young, uneducated individuals but it should show that at least they are more interested in politics than video games, This election is THEIR future. And their future is my future. I would hate to see these voters disenfranchised. I find McCain to be an honest man but cannot see myself voting for war,tax breaks for the wealthy, no universal healthcare etc.Dem's should unite if they have this same philosophy.

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |