April 14th, 2008

Blitzer: Dem elders starting to worry

Democratic elders are starting to worry about the increasingly bitter presidential race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A lot of Democrats are increasingly worried about the tough back-and-forth that is now part of the tense Hillary Clinton-Barack Obama race for the party’s presidential nomination.

There are some very passionate Clinton supporters who clearly don’t like Obama. And there are some very passionate Obama supporters who clearly don’t like Clinton. That is very evident. Just talk to both sides.

In fact, a poll in the current issue of Time magazine has alarmed many Democrats. The poll asked Obama voters if the presidential election were between Clinton and John McCain, whom would they vote for. In the poll, 16 percent said McCain and 16 percent said they don’t know. That’s 32 percent who refused to say flatly they would support Clinton – the other Democrat.

When Clinton supporters were asked whom they would support if the presidential race were between Obama and McCain, 26 percent said McCain and 18 percent said they don’t know. That’s 44 percent who refused to say flatly they would vote for Obama.

Thus, Clinton voters were more likely than Obama voters – at least in this poll – to actually pick McCain if their respective Democratic candidate lost the nomination.

Those of us who cover politics like to caution that all these polls are only snapshots. Once the political dust on the Democratic race settles, and there is an eventual nominee – whether Clinton or Obama – a different snapshot might emerge. Democrats, in the end, might still come together against the Republican candidate.

But right now, I can assure you, a lot of party elders are deeply worried that all this nastiness could wind up helping McCain.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. John

Stupidity is in the democratic party. This could have easily been solved if they would have allowed Florida and Michigan to vote and let the people decide. They argue about rules not followed, now they want to shut down Hillary? Barack isn't man enough to stand up and allow these two states to vote but he is willing to compromise on delegates? I am from Ohio, and if they don't allow those two states to vote, regardless of who wins, I will vote republican.

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. MJ

What I don't understand are the undecided voters. Who the hell are these people? How after all this campaigning, you're still undecided? These are supposed to be the people that will decide the nomination? We are certainly doomed!!!!

April 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  3. Jed in Texas

Maybe folks are catching on that neither Party represents middle America.They both pander to Elites.

April 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  4. EDB

At least Senator Clinton and her campaign are still in touch enough to know people who boo her aren't her supporters. If you believe in democracy at some point you should start listening to the people. Unless of course the supper delegates know better. Talk about condescending.

April 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  5. Matt

Billary seeths bitter. I for one am a Democrat that will never vote for her. Won't vote for McAncient, but refuse to vote for that lying slimebag.

April 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. Helen Roy

If Obama wins I vote McCAin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. Kim S

First of all Barack Obama is no better than his Pastor is, his mentor and guidance. Obama in my book is nothing but a young Senator looking to go somewhere fast, he has NO Experience, he has NO Plans, and in 4 years with Obama in the White House we will be NO better than what we are now. Charm, Charisma, and Lies will get you NO where, and finally the American People are seeing him for how he truly is, and maybe so should everyone. Obama and his followers act like he is "God", I divorced a man for the same reason's. Obama thinks he can tell lies about forms he filled out years ago, Plagerize, and now call Pennsylvania's "Bitter", and have no account for it. I seen the speech, I heard how Obama implied it, and it is this exact reason why I would NOT VOTE for OBAMA. He is to carefree with his choice of words, he is to quick to respond in a negelegent manor when something arises, and this makes a very skitzy President in my book. On the other hand I look at Hillary who yes has been through it all, maybe she and Bill have done some stupid things, but all in all, America was safe, it was prosprosus, and "We The People" meant something. Have a great day

April 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  8. Jack in ND

""BUT LIFE WAS ALOT BETTER""

I just laugh at people who support Hillary because they fondly recall the 1990s and think they can be brought back.

2008 isn't 1992. Jobs and factories that have already been outsourced aren't going to come back again...too much capital has been invested in India and elsewhere. The best you could hope for is that outsourcing is curtailed going forward, but what's already been outsourced is simply gone.

April 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  9. Bonnie

And CNN aint making this any better.

April 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  10. Jon

I hope it does help McCain.

If Hillary wins the Dem nomination, polls show she will beat McCain.

If Obama wins the Dem nomination, polls show he will lose to McCain.

Seems like a pretty clear choice for Superdelegates, designed to pick the stronger candidate - this is a pretty convincing argument here.

April 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  11. Ben

28 years of Bush – Clinton era.........Is this what americans want?

April 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  12. Will

Cue hysterical Republican-Clinton trolls screaming "OBAMA IS TEARING THE PARTY APART!" a claim which, given that far more of her supporters are planning to defect to McCain if Obama is nominated than vice versa, is gutsy to say the least.

April 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  13. gray,TX

Like my students said to me, "Obama has found a clever way to pull the race card!" He has also let it be known that "people should be voting their color."

April 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  14. noobama

Obama cannot be trusted. I will never vote for Obama.

I choose not to vote in Nov. This is all because of Obama. Obama cannot win the general election

April 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  15. hello

GO HILARY YOU ARE THE BEST

April 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  16. gerard morei

Real democrats will vote for Hillary, period.

April 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  17. Yomama

Sounds like he pulling one of his tricks to bamboozle the American voters.

Obama:

From Dreams Of My Father;
    “I learned to slip back and forth between my black and white worlds,” he wrote in “Dreams.” “One of those tricks I had learned: People were satisfied so long as you were courteous and smiled and made no sudden moves. They were more than satisfied; they were relieved — such a pleasant surprise to find a well-mannered young black man who didn't seem angry all the time.”

April 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  18. Gigi

The only way to end this is a joint ticket. People say they'd never go for it, but in the end a chance to have the most historical ticket in all of American History along with the blooming hate toward the Iraq war, it will be a winner.
    I'm an avid Clinton supporter, who has long hated Obama, but will bow down to the joint ticket.
    Either or on top will do. They're in the White House done and done.

April 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  19. mary

I am from Michigan and apparently my vote wasn't good enough for the Democrats in January soooooo it won't be good in November. McCain you just got another vote!!!!

April 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  20. TSD from Houston, TX

No one in this world is a true Democrat or Republican. We all believe things on both sides of the spectrum. Though I was raised Republican, I consider myself Democrat.

If HRC wins the nomination, I refuse to vote. Yes that means that I'm casting my vote by default for McCain. I'm ok with that. Barack is my candidate and more close to my own upbringing then any other candidate.

April 14, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. Lori

If Clinton wins I'll vote McCain.

Couldn't stand her husband, and she is worse.

April 14, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  22. HP Boston

I definitely will never, ever, vote for Obama, NEVER!
    I will not vote for McCain either, a write in or no vote at all is a no vote either way for the Dems.
    I have left the party and have registered as a independent, the reason, the FL and MI debacle!

April 14, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. Jim

Why is this viewed as a negative issue? None of us are bound to vote for our chosen political party. True Americans will vote for the candidate they feel with do the most good (or least harm), regardless of party.
    To believe that all Democrats must walk in lock-step is ridiculous!

April 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. Stan

A helium balloon does not fly forever. Obama’s balloon will definitely not last through November. Hoping it will burst soon so we don’t all have regret his loss in November.

April 14, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  25. fred2 the idiot took my name

They should be worried!!! The democrat elders will be voting for McCain if Obama gets the nominee...Post this CNN!!

Go Hillary...if not then McCain!!

April 14, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |