April 14th, 2008

Bloomberg: No plans to endorse in 'near future'

Bloomberg won't endorse a presidential candidate in the near future.
Bloomberg won't endorse a presidential candidate in the near future.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who has introduced Sens. Barack Obama and John McCain at recent events and who talks to Hillary Clinton often, is unlikely to make an announcement of support for any of them anytime soon.

"I don't have any plans to endorse anybody in the near future or to make up my own mind," Bloomberg told CNN in an interview.

"As you know I have very strong views of what I think is appropriate behavior for a candidate, what I want to hear out of the three candidates," he said. "And then someday I will decide, and whether or not I am going to tell other people who I am going to vote for or not is something to be decided down the road."

Bloomberg was in Washington Monday for a summit with 45 mayors from across the nation to try to make sure the nation's gun laws are being enforced, especially those concerning background checks.

Bloomberg, who has waged a campaign against gun sellers in Virginia because of the number of weapons from there that end up in his city, is co-chairman of a group called Mayors Against Illegal Guns. That group plans to air a television ad beginning this week urging Congress to close a loophole by forcing buyers at gun shows to undergo a federal background check.

The ad, which will air in Pennsylvania, New York, Arizona, Maryland and Florida, features clips from all three major presidential candidates.

"I'll be on your side for closing the gun show loophole," Clinton says.

"Crack down on them. Close the gun show loopholes," Obama says.

And McCain adds, "Convicted criminals have been able to buy and sell thousands of guns at gun shows because of a loophole in the law. Close the loophole."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Angus McDugan

This guy for the most part can only influence New York. I think Hillary has that state in her pocket.

April 14, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  2. nyc

I bet $20 bucks he's for OBAMA. The fact that he's from NY and clinton is from NY and his close relationship with Clinton, BUT HE STILL Hasn't endoresed her speaks VOLUMES.
    Kinda like thinking you're my friend, but.... man I just don't know if i would feel right voting for you.

April 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  3. Jed in Texas

Bloomberg should strike fear in every American heart.He is for enslaving the entire population for big brother.

April 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  4. Mick

Of course he won't endorse any of them yet, just like most of the so called super-delegates who won't admit who they favor either. These are politicians, and the last thing they want to do is support the losing candidate – that might negatively affect their own careers. So they wait until there's a clear front runner before they rally behind them, just like any gutless, backstabbing, yes-man politician you've seen in the movies.

April 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  5. Rick in Florida

Who cares???? One ego-maniac in the race (Hillary) is enough.

April 14, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  6. Claude Calgary AB

Good! we don't need more New York influence triing to hijack this election race.

April 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  7. Dennis

Never OBAMA!!!! -- NOBAMA for all the "WRIGHT" reasons

April 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. Cheryl Wilson

Yeah, right Bloomberg, you still "don't know" who you're leaning towards? Obama? Clinton? Maybe even McCain? I think 99% of America has made up their minds and know exactly who they are backing. You are a powerful mayor of the largest city in the U.S., get off the fence and endorse your candidate. You would never make it here in Chicago politics. Here, you get on board day 1 with your candidate - not 3/4 of the way through the primary.

April 14, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  9. Jermaine

OBAMA is the only candidate for change. Yesterday Hillary said she is a gun toothing, shooting American,...Mccain we know he drops bombs on innocent vietnamese and want's to BOMB IRAN, so of course OBAMA will get the nomination!

OBAMA-BLOOMBERG

OBAMA-CASEY

OBAMA CLINTON

"I don't blame them for this — that's the nature of our political culture, and if I had to carry the banner for eight years of George Bush's failures, I'd be looking for something else to talk about too," Obama said.

"If John McCain wants to turn this election into a contest about which party is out of touch with the struggles and the hopes of working America, that's a debate I'm happy to have. In fact, I think that's a debate we have to have."

April 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |