April 14th, 2008

Clinton talked up hunting resume in February

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Hillary Clinton's weekend recollection of her youthful hunting lessons wasn't the first time this primary season she's recounted unloading a few shotgun shells.

At her first campaign stop in Wisconsin on February 16, Clinton told an audience at The Brat Stop in Kenosha about her childhood hunting experience.

“You know you may not believe it, but I’ve actually gone hunting,” she said during a riff about gun control and protecting the Second Amendment. “I know, you may not believe it, but it’s true. My father taught me to shoot a hundred years ago.”

After the event, a reporter asked Clinton what exactly she had hunted.

“A duck,” she said, before expanding a little more on her shooting resume. “And a lot of tin cans, and a lot of targets. And some skeet.”

The reporter asked if her father had woken her up as a young girl and taken her to a duck blind to shoot waterfowl. Clinton said no.

“That was in Arkansas,” she said. “I got myself up early in the morning.”

Clinton expanded on the Arkansas duck-hunting tale in the town of Wausau two days later.

“I’ve hunted,” she said, appealing to sportsmen in the crowd. “My father taught me how to hunt. I went duck hunting in Arkansas. I remember standing in that cold water, so cold, at first light.”

“I was with a bunch of my friends, all men. You know, the sun’s up, the ducks are flying and they are playing a trick on me,” she said of her friends.

“They said, ‘we’re not going to shoot, you shoot.’ They wanted to embarrass me. The pressure was on. So I shot, and I shot a banded duck, and they were surprised as I was.”

Clinton has been highlighting her support for the Second Amendment in recent days after her rival Barack Obama was put on the defensive last week for claiming that small town Pennsylvanians get “bitter” and “cling to guns or religion.”

Asked by CNN on Sunday the last time she fired a gun, Clinton declined to answer, saying “that is not a relevant question in this debate.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. UNITER 08

Hillary Clinton and Dick Cheney should go duck hunting together. They are two of a kind, big time pathological liers, that's right!!!!.

April 14, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  2. John Smith

OlvrWhit: By now, everyone who is learned has a copy of the position papers of all the candidates (even those of Edwards). Unfortunately, some Hillary supporters are still asking for specifics from Obama. I guess these people are as "dumb as Hillary."

April 14, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  3. Ray

Hey Barb in Canada, I've talked to many a people who are upset over the influx of illegal immigrants to the States. I'm doing pretty good finacially but I do find myself sometimes speaking ill-will of Mexicans (since that's mostly who we believe are here illegally). It upsets me at times when I go to a store or fast food joint and half the time the people can't understand what I'm ordering or asking. So yes, I do have some antipathy towards them but I in no way act upon or show any hatred towards anyone. You better believe there are people in this country that feel the same way. Not saying it's right but that's a problem each person has to work on individually so our country can become better as a whole.

April 14, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  4. Dare to Dream 08

Hillary Clinton will say anything to get elected. Please someone make her stop. She lies and lies.

April 14, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  5. Sarah

I heard Hill chews tobacco too. This is just laughable. Her campaign has been a 3-ring circus. Obama 08'

April 14, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  6. DM. Arlington Texas

Hillary Clinton,

She suffering from Alzhimer and spousal abuse she confused. He in need of medical help.

She lie, cheat , steal what ever it takes.

The Justice department has a entire manual about the Clinton curruption and mob ties.

Just research it for your self.

April 14, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  7. Ugh.

The sniper fire comments stopped being funny about three weeks ago. Get a new shtick.

April 14, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  8. JJ

I wonder if the "skeet"n were flying or stationary. Were they hiding or out in the open, Were they "in season" Did she cause them any pain????

April 14, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  9. John Smith

I extended this issue to Kathy on another blog:
    I am over 50 years old and have followed lots and lots of politicians, including the Clintons. I replay their speeches etc. again and again!!!

Please give me a few "good" reasons why I should vote to return an "impeached presidential family" to our "nation's White House". Please do not tell me the good old economic days, because no one, not even Bill (or Gore, a viable part of those years) can bring back those old days. I await your answer, or any Hillary supporter. Thank you, and God bless

April 14, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  10. Dare to Dream 08

To: Paul

Also, how is Hillary "the most experienced candidate to be our President!"? For God sakes dude, she was first lady for 8 years, what kind of experience is that? She lied about coming under sniper attack and she is experienced to me President. You need to start using your brain.

April 14, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  11. Yves larochelle

Hey Billary! You would even legalize prostitution to get the votes of the sex trade workers, or even claim the worse: That you have been in that trade!
    I won't be surprised to hear that from you.

April 14, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  12. Sarah

Annie Oakley at it again.

April 14, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  13. Pat M Canada

It's pretty hard to up Hillary One I'd say! I mean what could you say to UP her outlandish statements and fantazied accounts of what only she apparently saw! :-)

I thought Bill was getting a tad bit strange but I'm thinking now they must be sharing the same menu and cook !

April 14, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  14. Alli, Boston, MA

I'm absolutely horrified.

If this is what the primary has come to, just wake me up when Obama is president.

April 14, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  15. Juan

LIES!!! Remember the Sniper Fire....she says it was Ducks probably in the Nintendo game....LIES!!!

April 14, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  16. Western Horsewoman

Hillary makes some delightfully dizzy with her dazzling displays of determination to divide the Democrats. Stay tuned for more drama.

Now that we know she liked to shoot (at least once), she'll be explaining why she was ducking sniper fire in Bosnia instead of taking a position of cover and firing back.

And, oh, by the way. I've got great ranch dogs – one black lab in particular who'll retrieve anything you shoot down. Or, a frisbee.... You may want to borrow another piece of rural America to help you relate to the animal lover constituency. Got horses, too. One's a young former racehorse. Quite the handful. How well do you ride???

April 14, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |