April 14th, 2008

Clinton talked up hunting resume in February

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Hillary Clinton's weekend recollection of her youthful hunting lessons wasn't the first time this primary season she's recounted unloading a few shotgun shells.

At her first campaign stop in Wisconsin on February 16, Clinton told an audience at The Brat Stop in Kenosha about her childhood hunting experience.

“You know you may not believe it, but I’ve actually gone hunting,” she said during a riff about gun control and protecting the Second Amendment. “I know, you may not believe it, but it’s true. My father taught me to shoot a hundred years ago.”

After the event, a reporter asked Clinton what exactly she had hunted.

“A duck,” she said, before expanding a little more on her shooting resume. “And a lot of tin cans, and a lot of targets. And some skeet.”

The reporter asked if her father had woken her up as a young girl and taken her to a duck blind to shoot waterfowl. Clinton said no.

“That was in Arkansas,” she said. “I got myself up early in the morning.”

Clinton expanded on the Arkansas duck-hunting tale in the town of Wausau two days later.

“I’ve hunted,” she said, appealing to sportsmen in the crowd. “My father taught me how to hunt. I went duck hunting in Arkansas. I remember standing in that cold water, so cold, at first light.”

“I was with a bunch of my friends, all men. You know, the sun’s up, the ducks are flying and they are playing a trick on me,” she said of her friends.

“They said, ‘we’re not going to shoot, you shoot.’ They wanted to embarrass me. The pressure was on. So I shot, and I shot a banded duck, and they were surprised as I was.”

Clinton has been highlighting her support for the Second Amendment in recent days after her rival Barack Obama was put on the defensive last week for claiming that small town Pennsylvanians get “bitter” and “cling to guns or religion.”

Asked by CNN on Sunday the last time she fired a gun, Clinton declined to answer, saying “that is not a relevant question in this debate.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. ***AMERICAN***

Does she even know what end of a gun the rounds come out of?

April 14, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. maynard

hillary would not know how to load a gun. let alone operate one in a safe manner.

i encourage hillary and dick chaney go hunting together

April 14, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  3. Stacy Clarks, TX

OBAMA 08!!!

OBAMA 08!!!

OBAMA 08!!!!!!

April 14, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  4. Demo Craxy

lord she is crazy
    a hundred years ago, how old is she????

my lord, people please stand up agains this circus.........she needs to see a psyhciatrist,
    McCain needs to rest

hillary and mccain one and the same

McClinton

April 14, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  5. true

Love you Hillary.

Thanks for not letting Obama's street thugs and goons get to you with their jeering.

You never stoop to such gutter tactics.

He looks so silly and repugnant and childish with his mockery of you. He will surely fail with that approach. It just cements him into his smug, arrogant, cocky, condescending elitism.

Hang in there. You will win or we will write you in in Nov.

April 14, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  6. Michael

Wow, Please stop. Hillary are you sure the duck wasn't shot by sniper fire?

April 14, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  7. James, CA

Good, Hillary now admits that people do not trust her words anymore. Any word that comes out from her mouth raises eye brows....Very suspicious.

April 14, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  8. Harry Moyer

I wonder if there was any sniper fire coming from the insurgent woodland animals??? Judas Priest!

April 14, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  9. Cynthia

Clinton will say and do anything to get elected. Hopefully the American public is really paying close attention to what each of the candidates is saying and are able to distinguish truth from rhetoric.

April 14, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  10. go away Obama

Hillary,

Just be you and let Obama self-destruct.

No one wants his superior airs in the white house.

You are our leader and we will back you all the way.

April 14, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  11. Obama 2008

And some fairies? I think you could invent a comic character who could create stories on the go, to please any type of voter.

A custom story for every voter! Please, please, vote for me, coz it is very personal to me! Sure, every story you make up is very personal to you, as it never actually happened......the way you make it up to be?

One more time, please relax and take a long vacation to get rid of the stress and fatigue. Think about it........you could even write the fairy tales for the next election, and sell them for $100 million.

April 14, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  12. Roger

She can skin a buck, she can run a trout-line. The country girl can survive!

I'd like to spit some beach-nut right between Obama's eyes for talking down to us hard working, gun shootin', God Fearin' folks!

April 14, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  13. Big Tex

Ya'll find out this is just another Clinton lies..

If she keeps up lying she gonna find herself getting disbard.

April 14, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  14. James, SC

Like the scorpion and the frog, well I gess Hillary is being Hillary.

April 14, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  15. OlvrWhit

Please, she was making a joke...you Obama supporters are crazy. You love to attack, but get all upset when your guy makes a mistake.

I have hunted, 30 years ago...whats the point..

You guys look worse and worse to real democrats every time you try and trash Clinton.

April 14, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  16. Ilona Proud Canadian

#1 Ask her what kind of duck she shot

#2 Ask her what kind of license she had .

Sen. Obama I sense another "story here"

April 14, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  17. Peter Kavanagh

Stop lying

April 14, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  18. Elliot Johnson

Cnn

Since it was such big news that Senator Obama was closing the Gap with Senator Clinton in Pennsylvannia.

Any chance of CNN doing an article on the new ARG poll released today that shows Senator Clinton ahead in Pennsylvannia by 20 points?

ARG 4/11-13/08 600 LV 57 37 4

April 14, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  19. Shawna

Sounds like it may end up being another sniper fire story, or healthcare story, she should stop with the memories, since she has proven her mind isn't clear all the time.

April 14, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  20. mike concerned democrate

Hilliary is a nutter and glad to hear the boos and jears she received today during her stump – when is she going to get it!!!! Old politics are over -- there's a new uplifting and approach

April 14, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  21. RickytheGriff

"No one wants his superior airs in the white house."

Yeah, we want another "Common man" like George W. Bush in the White House!

Give me a break!

Obama '08.

April 14, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  22. NickNas

SHHHHHHHHHHHH She can claim ANYTHING just don't ask her to PROVE it!

See I can be a Hillary supporter too!

April 14, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  23. Le-rooooooooy Jenk-aaaaaaaaaaannnssss

Is there anything this woman won't say to get elected. Next she's going to tell us that she's fond of "riding' the gravels" with the good ol' boys, chewing some "dip," and snipin' deer from the truck "winnder."

April 14, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  24. North Carolina

Gee, you men she didn't claim to be Annie Oakley like Obama said, but actually said she was taught by her family members as a child? Why am I not surprised. You gave Cheney kinder coverage when he shot Whittington.

April 14, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  25. Rob

This women has lost all grip's on reality. Now she's a hunter??...And her supporters are still trying to champion this women as the next President. Please. This country is lost. She treats people like they have down syndrome and like we forgot all the lies she tells. America WAKE UP!!!.. Hillary is playing us for fools

April 14, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |