April 14th, 2008

Clinton talked up hunting resume in February

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Hillary Clinton's weekend recollection of her youthful hunting lessons wasn't the first time this primary season she's recounted unloading a few shotgun shells.

At her first campaign stop in Wisconsin on February 16, Clinton told an audience at The Brat Stop in Kenosha about her childhood hunting experience.

“You know you may not believe it, but I’ve actually gone hunting,” she said during a riff about gun control and protecting the Second Amendment. “I know, you may not believe it, but it’s true. My father taught me to shoot a hundred years ago.”

After the event, a reporter asked Clinton what exactly she had hunted.

“A duck,” she said, before expanding a little more on her shooting resume. “And a lot of tin cans, and a lot of targets. And some skeet.”

The reporter asked if her father had woken her up as a young girl and taken her to a duck blind to shoot waterfowl. Clinton said no.

“That was in Arkansas,” she said. “I got myself up early in the morning.”

Clinton expanded on the Arkansas duck-hunting tale in the town of Wausau two days later.

“I’ve hunted,” she said, appealing to sportsmen in the crowd. “My father taught me how to hunt. I went duck hunting in Arkansas. I remember standing in that cold water, so cold, at first light.”

“I was with a bunch of my friends, all men. You know, the sun’s up, the ducks are flying and they are playing a trick on me,” she said of her friends.

“They said, ‘we’re not going to shoot, you shoot.’ They wanted to embarrass me. The pressure was on. So I shot, and I shot a banded duck, and they were surprised as I was.”

Clinton has been highlighting her support for the Second Amendment in recent days after her rival Barack Obama was put on the defensive last week for claiming that small town Pennsylvanians get “bitter” and “cling to guns or religion.”

Asked by CNN on Sunday the last time she fired a gun, Clinton declined to answer, saying “that is not a relevant question in this debate.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Now for Obama

Obama should just sit back and let Hillary keep committing political suicide :)

April 14, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  2. Kate Poe

Another HRC tall tale! She is definately full fiction, I'm am so shocked!

April 14, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  3. Ex-Hillary supporter

Throughout her campaign, Hillary has entertained us with many stories. Once this is over, I reckon she should consider writing a book of fairy tales. Her imagination is fertile, so it really is worth a shot. (Pun intended).

April 14, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  4. Steve

Why does Hillary keep going back to gun stories? Maybe subconsciously she's thinking about taking pot shots at a breed of bird called a "Double-talking, White-Plumed Philanderer"?

I don't know how they hunt in Arkansas, but where we hunted in the Midwest, we didn't generally stand in cold water, and if we did, we had lined boots and socks on. Ducks have excellent eyesight, so we wore cammo, and hid in duckblinds. And if Hillary was shooting at cans with the gun generally used for duck hunting (a shotgun) it must not have been much fun. A shotgun will take a row of cans out with one shot...

April 14, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  5. Adam

Hillary is over a hundred years old? I didn't realize she learned to shoot in 1908. Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

April 14, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  6. Dear Elliot Johnson

Please stop posting the same lame plea to CNN to report on your Poll that has no basis in fact. Posting it over and over won't give Hillary those 20 points back. EVER!!

That is all

April 14, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  7. ***AMERICAN***

She makes me laugh. You all do.

April 14, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  8. MW

Actually, McCain is laughing all the way to the White House as these two work to destroy each other.

Hillary seemed to start this mess, but Barack is quickly learning to be just as childish. But hey, us Americans are a proud people and we really do like our reality TV and all so why would we waste valuable time acutally talking or demanding our candidates talk about the issues.

We can start jeering CNN, CNBC and Fox you know, we can stop watching and threaten to pull support from their sponsors, we could organize. We could also just sit back and do nothing and enjoy the next 6 weeks of fighting and bickering followed by a December where all Dem's wonder how they let the election slip away...

April 14, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  9. jeremy

of course she is a hunter now. she is a little bit of everything now that she is scrambling for votes. next week she'll have started at point guard on her high school basketball team, since indiana and north carolina are coming up next

April 14, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  10. Mary

The last time Hillary held a gun and shot?

During the campaign. Hillary and Bill have been shooting each other in the foot. They are so good at it that they never miss!!!

April 14, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  11. EBC

Good LORD Oh mighty is there NO end to this woman's insanity?

Here she goes again overstating her "hunting" qualifications that clearly back fired in her face BIG TIME. She tried to get back at Sen. Obama regarding his recent speech. Once again Sen. Clinton does what she does best, shoots herself in the foot yet again.

This whole overstating of a story to the point she gets boxed into a lie is truly amazing to me. It's like she just CAN'T STOP lying anymore, the more she runs her mouth the more the lies just keep coming. There is just no end to the madness.

However, when Sen. Clinton was ASKED by CNN on Sunday the last time she FIRED A GUN or ATTENDIND CHURCH, Clinton declined to answer, saying aruptly “that is not a relevant question in this debate.”

Sounds like an elitist reply that's a bit on the bitter side don't you think?

April 14, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  12. autumn baker

I encourage hillary and dick cheney go hunting together

That's hilarious!!! LOL!

April 14, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  13. North Carolina

Readers might note that Clinton made these remarks IN FEBRUARY: this was not in response to Obama shooting himself in the foot.

April 14, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  14. Jed in Texas

Just glad she didnt shoot the "Pet Goat".

April 14, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  15. Jay

At least Hillary knows you don't sit in a duck blind with a six-shooter! You hunt duck with a rifle.

Obama is totally out of touch with us duck hunters!

April 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  16. DrFill

Hillary: "I used to hunt and shoot guns"
    Man: "When is the last time you shot a gun?"
    Hillary" " I don't think that's a relevant question!"
    DrFill

April 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  17. Bernice

Considering these Clinton's past she needs to elaborate on "TARKETS" they weren't humans were thay?

you tue / search / hillary clinton/ "bill & hillary secret lives" video 1-12
    you tub / hillary clinton "Shocking things they don't want you to know
    video 1-3
    Goole /"Clinton Scandals"
    Goole "Hillary Clinton Scandals"

April 14, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  18. Jagdish kothary, Canada

she is so correct this time when she says, "“You know you may not

believe it, but I’ve......

well said Hillaby !! Go and rest...everytime you open your mouth a ton

of saw dust falls out......

April 14, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  19. Scott

Was she on the Mitt Romney "I'm hunting for small varmints" program? Please. What disgusting pandering this is from a lady who will say anything to win.

April 14, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  20. Roger

Hillary Clinton/Lou Dobbs '08

That's the ticket!

April 14, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  21. ben two

...er...uh...why don't you post my comments????

April 14, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  22. Dr. Hyde of Indiana

This gal can not only shoot, she can drink a shot of whiskey with a followup beer. How far will one person go to win an election. What a cameleon she is. Where is your pride, Hillary?

April 14, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  23. cathy

Hillary is the Elitist. I cannot believe she has the nerve to twist Obama's words. SHe makes me so BITTER!
    Clinton News Network...Print my post!!!

April 14, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  24. Maggie

Give her time and she'll wax eloquent, with vivid detail, how she and Elmer Fudd went a-huntin' them wascally wabbits, stoppin' ever few feet to throw back a shot and drink a beer.,,'cause, after all, she's just a good old blue collar gal.

April 14, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  25. Noah

Obama is now stooping to ridicule Hillary Clinton. This is not the politics of change..This is not the man I would vote for who when makes his own mistake stoops to ridicule and childish attacks.

Obama owes America an apology..He does come across as an elitist and Clinton is right to say that this will be used against him.

He called americans bigots( or racist for that matter)..look up the words.

April 14, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |