April 14th, 2008

Clinton talked up hunting resume in February

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Hillary Clinton's weekend recollection of her youthful hunting lessons wasn't the first time this primary season she's recounted unloading a few shotgun shells.

At her first campaign stop in Wisconsin on February 16, Clinton told an audience at The Brat Stop in Kenosha about her childhood hunting experience.

“You know you may not believe it, but I’ve actually gone hunting,” she said during a riff about gun control and protecting the Second Amendment. “I know, you may not believe it, but it’s true. My father taught me to shoot a hundred years ago.”

After the event, a reporter asked Clinton what exactly she had hunted.

“A duck,” she said, before expanding a little more on her shooting resume. “And a lot of tin cans, and a lot of targets. And some skeet.”

The reporter asked if her father had woken her up as a young girl and taken her to a duck blind to shoot waterfowl. Clinton said no.

“That was in Arkansas,” she said. “I got myself up early in the morning.”

Clinton expanded on the Arkansas duck-hunting tale in the town of Wausau two days later.

“I’ve hunted,” she said, appealing to sportsmen in the crowd. “My father taught me how to hunt. I went duck hunting in Arkansas. I remember standing in that cold water, so cold, at first light.”

“I was with a bunch of my friends, all men. You know, the sun’s up, the ducks are flying and they are playing a trick on me,” she said of her friends.

“They said, ‘we’re not going to shoot, you shoot.’ They wanted to embarrass me. The pressure was on. So I shot, and I shot a banded duck, and they were surprised as I was.”

Clinton has been highlighting her support for the Second Amendment in recent days after her rival Barack Obama was put on the defensive last week for claiming that small town Pennsylvanians get “bitter” and “cling to guns or religion.”

Asked by CNN on Sunday the last time she fired a gun, Clinton declined to answer, saying “that is not a relevant question in this debate.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. White/female/age 55/Texan

1) Ask her what gauge shot gun she used on her duck hunting adventure.
    2) Ask her how the duck was retreived, as she didn't mention any dogs.
    3) Ask her if it was used for food?

"I was with a bunch of my friends, all men. "

What, exactly does that mean? Does she think she is special as a woman because she has been hunting? Paleesee.

April 14, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  2. Jack in ND

Oh Hillary...I don't even know what to say anymore.

April 14, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  3. Women 4 Obama

Her hunting story is almost as good as her Bosnia story ...

Or, her Martin Luther King story ... where she cried and sobbed ... trying to win the Black vote back.

What a joke!

April 14, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  4. Carl from Pa

Am I the only one that has forgotten what her or Obama's policies are? This is so rediculous. Why don't they just have that bowl off and get this over with, or a boxing match instead of this silly verbal dispute! I was hoping that anyone running for the highest office in the land would be more mature. Maybe no one is big enough to back off and say, hey, let's get back to the issues here.

Voting for the most mature candidate – Barack Obama.

April 14, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  5. From Canada

What is amazing is that the support for Obama at least on the CNN blogs is so strong. I would have thought given the polls that the comments would not have been onesided. It is really unbelievable the accusations that she lays out of coverage being so onesided and against her. Team Billary just seems to stick the foot in the mouth so much more often. They do not seem to embellish the truth but outright lie. It's really too bad that Bill has fallen from grace.

April 14, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  6. For Obama

I am a woman and I was taught at a young age to shoot and I still shoot. I have not went hunting as I mainly shot at targets. My brothers did though. I will tell you now.. she is full of it. She has very sketchy memories and her memories seem to be different than the REAL thing. Bosnia for example. I dont believe her one bit. Get Real Hillary! What is she trying to do? ... She is trying to get the Male vote is what she is trying to do... so they dont see her so much like a woman,,, she is hunting, she is drinking beer and taking shots.. that is the appeal she is trying to get across and I am shocked the Media hasnt caught on to that yet.

April 14, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  7. Brian

Next thing you know, Hillary is going to be claiming that she's actually a man.

April 14, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  8. Marylynette Ferguson

Such BS – can we talk about the issues?

It's times like these when I wish we could censur the media.

April 14, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  9. Angela

Now I even heard that Hillary is going to fix Bill’s NAFTA mistakes! Wow, the Bosnia Sniper Fire hits keep on coming!

So tell me Hillary. With all the brains and ideas that you have, why oh why did you not share any of those brilliant ideas with Bill when he got us into this BIG MESS!!!!

April 14, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  10. ds

She bowls and she hunts. Maybe she has a monster-truck, too.

April 14, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  11. Joaquin

Great! She kills helpless ducks and throws back jolts of Rye. What;s next for Hillary the Cable Gal- scratching her crotch? Will we see her walking out of the restroom zipping up her fly?
    She's proving Obama's point. As Americans grow insecure about their status they cling to their guns. She's losing, she's bitter, she's armed, and, we learn, she's able to talk about God in a public forum.

April 14, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  12. Kentucky

You hate filled Obama supporters who think you are so cure aren't doing anything but hurting the democratic party. It wouldn't matter what Obama said or did you would be down on your knees worshiping him. I think it is kinda sickening. You can see others faults but not his. Thank God all of America is not blind. Your bitter remarks and lies aren't helping him any.

April 14, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  13. emmanuel

Obama LOst my vote sorry Obama , I like you BUT your not experianced enough to know how and what not to say f you want to beat the republicans

Hillary your one tough Cookie, im starting to really like you....Keep going ...

April 14, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  14. Ray

You Obama supporters really scare me. The anger and hate and fury towaqrds Hillary is something that defies irrational explantion. You all seem to be irrational and really angry and hateful and your talk is double-standard. THIS is what sent me to the Hillary side. If you really want to know what a candidate is like? LOOK AT THEIR SUPPORTERS. I did, and that is why I am voting for Hillary.

April 14, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  15. USMC1968TETOFFENSE

What the heck is she doing with a shotgun in Chicago as a kid. I thought her and Bill were smoking on campus. Hippies didn't have guns. Talk about BS!

April 14, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  16. Obama will be President

What a load of TIHS!!

April 14, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  17. Texican

U go Hillary, If I was a Democrat I would vote for you. How about inviting Obama to go hunting with you and Dick Cheney. He loves to shoot lawyers.

April 14, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  18. barb Canada

Glad to see Lou Dobbs finally bring up the Real Issue! Antipathy means extreme dislike or hatred.......For Obama to say that small town voters are full of hatred for people who are different from them is Gross.......Quit saying, well it's true I am bitter, and start saying well it's true I am RACIST! I dare you! For all of you to say he speaks the truth, exchange those 2 words and see how many friends you make on here!

April 14, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  19. Bob

The Elitist Hillary (Elmer Fudd) Clinton and the Clueless John McClaim trying to paint Obama as Elitist and out of touch is truly HILLARYOUS. Could a new dream team be in the makeing?
    McClaim/Clinton 08 Yay you go Girls.

April 14, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  20. Susie

Hillary you are the All American girl.
    Hillary all the way to the White House

April 14, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  21. PD in CA

Like killing a duck is something to be proud of. Hey, if your family needs to hunt to put food on the table, by all means go for it. But if you do it for the "fun" and "sport" of it... that's twisted and ugly. I can't stand this woman. She scores no points from me with that B.S. story.

April 14, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  22. H

GIVE HILLARY A BREAK. SHE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN OBAMA. STOP BASHING HER. LET US TALK ABOUT THE ACTUAL ISSUES NOT THE HATE, HATE, HATE THAT OBAMA STANDS FOR.

April 14, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  23. Bayou Joe

Carl if you are voting for the most mature person, let me give you a hint, it is not Obama. The mature adult in this threesome is McCain.

Hillary and Obama need to have a bowl off and decide who will be the loser this time around.

No more Democrats in Congress or the Whitehouse.

April 14, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  24. Allison R.

Was she hunting with the same bullets that were used for the sniper fire she was under when in Bosnia? Ridiculous. STOP PANDERING! America is sick of lying politicians. You lost me when your true colors starting coming out in January.

Obama '08

April 14, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  25. sharon

why didn't they cover her bosnia lie as extensively as they do about the bitter comment? do we really want a president that lies? everyone on cnn agrees she lied. but the coverage was over quickly.

just because obama said something about lou dobbs a while back, dobbs is out to get him. cnn should get rid of lou dobbs.

April 14, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |