April 14th, 2008

Clinton talked up hunting resume in February

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Hillary Clinton's weekend recollection of her youthful hunting lessons wasn't the first time this primary season she's recounted unloading a few shotgun shells.

At her first campaign stop in Wisconsin on February 16, Clinton told an audience at The Brat Stop in Kenosha about her childhood hunting experience.

“You know you may not believe it, but I’ve actually gone hunting,” she said during a riff about gun control and protecting the Second Amendment. “I know, you may not believe it, but it’s true. My father taught me to shoot a hundred years ago.”

After the event, a reporter asked Clinton what exactly she had hunted.

“A duck,” she said, before expanding a little more on her shooting resume. “And a lot of tin cans, and a lot of targets. And some skeet.”

The reporter asked if her father had woken her up as a young girl and taken her to a duck blind to shoot waterfowl. Clinton said no.

“That was in Arkansas,” she said. “I got myself up early in the morning.”

Clinton expanded on the Arkansas duck-hunting tale in the town of Wausau two days later.

“I’ve hunted,” she said, appealing to sportsmen in the crowd. “My father taught me how to hunt. I went duck hunting in Arkansas. I remember standing in that cold water, so cold, at first light.”

“I was with a bunch of my friends, all men. You know, the sun’s up, the ducks are flying and they are playing a trick on me,” she said of her friends.

“They said, ‘we’re not going to shoot, you shoot.’ They wanted to embarrass me. The pressure was on. So I shot, and I shot a banded duck, and they were surprised as I was.”

Clinton has been highlighting her support for the Second Amendment in recent days after her rival Barack Obama was put on the defensive last week for claiming that small town Pennsylvanians get “bitter” and “cling to guns or religion.”

Asked by CNN on Sunday the last time she fired a gun, Clinton declined to answer, saying “that is not a relevant question in this debate.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Tim

When she was hunting as a kid, were there any sniper bullets whizzing by her head? Man, she really can connect with blue collar America, can't she? Well, apart from the $110 Million dollar salary I mean. And the whole cackle cackle laughing fits and talking about angels dancing on heads of pins... I don't know any blue collar workers who say that sort of delusional nonsense.

April 14, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  2. Ed from Va

As I said in the past, Senator Clinton will say anything to get elected. At least Obama tells the true good or not.

April 14, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  3. woody

DOES BILLARY HAVE EVEN A SHRED OF CREDIBILITY ANYMORE??

she would say or do ANYTHING just to be the nominee...nevermind the truth.

April 14, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  4. Mike

Obama should not try and make jokes (by mocking Senator Clinton), his sarcastic, snide remarks when trying to be funny simply make him look ridiculous.

He is not someone who I take seriuously, I can't even stand to listen to him when he speaks, I mean preaches.

How, who and why someone would think this clown could be President is beyond me.

Go Hillary!!!!

April 14, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  5. ben two

Nonsense are the responses to Obama's remarks...total nonsense.

I get from what he said that many people revert to religion, guns, etc. as single issues upon which to cast their votes as manipulated by Fox news, Rush Limbaugh, and their ilk, due to the fact that they have little else upon which to rely from their elected officials.

Obama is not perfect, but he's the best available now and I have confidence in his character. To win, all that is needed is a daily listing of Bush's intentional undermining of America. The emperor has been naked for 8 years and McCain and Clinton helped him get dressed.

April 14, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  6. Ryan from Indiana

Do people or CNN really think that this story is relevant? This only reaffirms my support for Hillary with these petty shots at every single word she says. Does any of this dissprove that she is capable and competent to be President, or in any way undermine her strength of character? Absolutely not!

Keep at Hillary! I'm so proud of you!!!!

April 14, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  7. Jonathan Swift

Regarding the ARG survey showing Obama down by 20%, that's pretty good news for Obama and in line with the rest of the polls lately which show Obama close to Hillary. ARG, on average, sually underestimates Obama's support by 12% or so. In South Carolina they were off by 25% and in CT they were off by 17%. So Obama is in in pretty good shape, since ARG gets it wrong regardless of whether it is rich people or Black folk who think this country needs a change.

April 14, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  8. Melissa, MI

Here's a little spelling lesson to help bolster people's argument:

lOse is the opposite win. Like: Timmy is going to lose the relay race.

lOOse is the opposite of tight. Like: Clinton has loose morals.

April 14, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  9. MikeH

I want to know why these small town voters who may be hurting the most only get to vote once and yet college students get to vote more than once.
    While the Backyard Conservative calls for Barack Obama to change, the campaign that Barack Obama runs, or which runs him–as the case may be–definitely needs change. The Obama campaign continues to behave very badly in nearby Indiana.

The other day we raised the issue of a gift of a Dave Matthews ticket in exchange for ID information at Indiana University. Now there is another brewing scandal for the Obama campaign, and its at Indiana's Purdue University. Blogger ManfromMiddletown details how a graduate from last Summer's Camp Obama (which according to reports was run by the not-too-law-abiding Robert Creamer, the husband of Congresswoman Jan Shakowsky) has not only been using university resources to benefit the Obama campaign, but has also been encouraging Purdue students who have already voted in primaries in their home states to re-register in Indiana and vote again.

April 14, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  10. JN

True....to say that Hillary would never stoop to gutter tactics.....what a bunch of BS...Her whole Ohio and Texas "throwing the kitchen sink" tactics weren't from the gutter???? I suggest you look back at articles where even super-delegates were calling her tactics "in the gutter"...

Oh that's right..Hillary is holier than thou....please forgive me...she has won fair and square..and if you believe that, then she was dodging sniper fire in Bosnia too...NOT

April 14, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  11. OlvrWhit

If half you people took the time to study the issue's as you do trying to come up with reason's to hate Hillary, maybe someone would take you serious. I never see an Obama supporter talking about issues. Never. Just hate..

Maybe when you send Obama more money, maybe you should ask for a copy of his hope and change speech, because you need it. You do not practice his message, so why do you support him. All I ever see from any Obama supporter is hate and lies..I would rather have Hillary anyday than this..I could care less that she exaggerated Bosnia. That has nothing to do with her ability to lead this country.

While its so easy for you to point out Hillary's fault's, you should be able to realize when your person makes a mistake. Gor God's sake, he even admitted he made a mistake.

It would nice to see a postive Obama supporter sometime, instead of the group he has here..

April 14, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  12. Susan MO

She is from the south. Many women know how to hunt, load a gun, etc.

Let's talk about: Shame on Obama for being so critical & rude to the people of Pennsylvania.

Once thought about Obama, but NOT NOW.

Hillary Clinton 08 Keep going Hillary!

April 14, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  13. Paul

Obama you cannot win the general election. People from FLA and Michigan will let you know that ALONG WITH THOSE MILLIONS OF AMERICANS THAT YOU JUST LABELED AS FRUSTRATED. That would be your reward for disenfranchising them.
    Hillary is not simply the most experienced , but also the best candidate to be our President!

MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA AND HILLARY

VOTE DEMOCRAT
    VOTE FOR CLINTON

April 14, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  14. JCB

Hillary made a comment about her childhood in February, and now people are making snide comments. What's up. Obama's gun gafe was this month - April. He was speaking in a closed-door meeting with billionaires for fundraising purposes when he talked down about people in Pennslyvania. There is no connection between the two conversations! Hillary, Feburary - Obama, Now! Just be honest - he blew it! He is a condesending, snide little snot. He is definiately not Robin Hood - well maybe he is a hood. He did talk about using drugs in the hood, and now he is railing on Hillary for drinking a shot. Hillary or staying home!

April 14, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  15. White/female/age 55/Texan

Jay –

"At least Hillary knows you don't sit in a duck blind with a six-shooter! You hunt duck with a rifle. "

OMG – you don't hunt ducks with a rifle unless you really are Annie Oakley ~

April 14, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  16. gene

Neither CNN or MSNBC even mentioned the fact that a super delegate from Montana endorsed Hillary Clinton today. When a "milk man" endorses Obama its and all over story and headlines "Obama winning the milk man vote" and will this be the end of Clinton's Campaign.

April 14, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  17. Donna

AT LEAST SHE KNOWS WHAT GUN YOU GO DUCK HUNTING WITH, OBAMA WHILE BEING ON HIS HIGH HORSE THE SNOB SAID SHE GOES DUCK HUNTING WITH A 6 SHOOTER !!!OMG
    AND THIS COMMING FROM THE CLEAN CAMPAIGN RUNNER THAT WON'T STOOP TO MAKING BAD COMMENTS ABOUT HIS OPPONENT, TODAY HE CALLED HILLARY ANNIE OAKLY! THE THING IS HILLARY WILL POINT OUT STUFF ABOUT WHAT OBAMA SAYS OR DOES BUT OBAMA ALWAYS RESORTS TO BELITTLING HIS OPPONENTS!!!

April 14, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  18. Maria

Let me remind everyone, Hillary's very first campaign slogan was" I'm in it to win it" Well, the same old self centered, self serving Hillary will say and do anyting to win it. Just pathetic. And by the way that very first slogan is and was and will be the true Hillary, arrogant and self centered.

April 14, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  19. Joe

Yeah, but I flew on an airplane today but that doesn't make a pilot. Sadly, my opinion of Senator Clinton has gone from that of and "accomplished legislator" to "running joke."

April 14, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  20. Susan MO

She is from the South. Many women know how to hunt & load a gun.

Let's talk about: SHAME on Obama for the critical & rude remark he said to the people of Pennsylvania. We do not need a president who slams the people.

Once thought about Obama, NOT NOW.

We are for Hillary Clinton.

Clinton 08 Keep going Hillary!

April 14, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  21. kelly WI

they were booing what she was repeating Obama had said. His statements not hers.
    All these paid for Obamacrats blogging will be fooled in the end. No sense to it as every one has made up their minds any way.
    Now that Obama has been vetted more, there are plenty of people in the states that are done, wish they could vote over again. It will have to be shown in the General.
    Besides your being silly. Dads and grand pas do take children out target shooting and hunting. Not every one lives in the hood. Guess those kids have to go steal a gun and shoot each other.
    Sorry CNN and MSNBC
    McCain 08

April 14, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  22. Brian Murphy

she dose nothing but lie. you all can see it the next time she tells a story look at her eyes and look at her look into the ground, but when she talks about health care she looks back up at the people. she is a lier and we could all just say that Obama just mispoked lol or better yet he misremembered what he ment to say. in my book to misspeak is to lie!

April 14, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  23. Ardnuas

Annie Oakley will say ANYTHING to get votes.... she has 109 million dollars in the bank, and voters think SHE understands their financial situations... UNREAL!!!!!
    Obama/Edwards 08 Si Se Puede

April 14, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  24. Jed in Texas

55/Texan,you single?Sound like my kinda gal.That gal dont hunt,but she sure can bark.

April 14, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  25. ben two

OlvrWhit, you just described your fellow HRC supporters...amazing. Are you serious?

I agree that the level of hatred is ridiculous but it is by no means one-sided.

To suggest otherwise is itself evidence to the contrary.

April 14, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |