April 14th, 2008

Clinton talked up hunting resume in February

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Hillary Clinton's weekend recollection of her youthful hunting lessons wasn't the first time this primary season she's recounted unloading a few shotgun shells.

At her first campaign stop in Wisconsin on February 16, Clinton told an audience at The Brat Stop in Kenosha about her childhood hunting experience.

“You know you may not believe it, but I’ve actually gone hunting,” she said during a riff about gun control and protecting the Second Amendment. “I know, you may not believe it, but it’s true. My father taught me to shoot a hundred years ago.”

After the event, a reporter asked Clinton what exactly she had hunted.

“A duck,” she said, before expanding a little more on her shooting resume. “And a lot of tin cans, and a lot of targets. And some skeet.”

The reporter asked if her father had woken her up as a young girl and taken her to a duck blind to shoot waterfowl. Clinton said no.

“That was in Arkansas,” she said. “I got myself up early in the morning.”

Clinton expanded on the Arkansas duck-hunting tale in the town of Wausau two days later.

“I’ve hunted,” she said, appealing to sportsmen in the crowd. “My father taught me how to hunt. I went duck hunting in Arkansas. I remember standing in that cold water, so cold, at first light.”

“I was with a bunch of my friends, all men. You know, the sun’s up, the ducks are flying and they are playing a trick on me,” she said of her friends.

“They said, ‘we’re not going to shoot, you shoot.’ They wanted to embarrass me. The pressure was on. So I shot, and I shot a banded duck, and they were surprised as I was.”

Clinton has been highlighting her support for the Second Amendment in recent days after her rival Barack Obama was put on the defensive last week for claiming that small town Pennsylvanians get “bitter” and “cling to guns or religion.”

Asked by CNN on Sunday the last time she fired a gun, Clinton declined to answer, saying “that is not a relevant question in this debate.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. dems for mccain

WELL IT PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT HER ADMINISTRATION WONT DO ANYTHING TO TRY TO LIMIT OUR 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS. I WONDER IF BARRACK HUSSEIN OBAMA HAS EVER HELD A GUN? WELL OTHER THAN AN AK-47, LIKE THEY USE IN HIS NATIVE LAND...LOL. BUT I REALLY WONDER WHAT OBAMA'S STANCE IS ONE THIS SUBJECT. YOU CAN BET ON HILLARY NOT PRESSING ANY GUN CONTROLL, BUT WHAT ABOUT HIM.

April 14, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  2. Shawn from Kansas

Was it "Bitter Cold" the morning of the duck hunt? All the analysts have been calling for the Clinton campaign to be in waiting for Obama to make an error. Could you hear her advisors when they heard the news - "Oh boy, he really goofed now !!! He called small town Americans bitter. We are...... Guns, and religion? - Why spend money on failed politics, when we can send money to our church, or join the Safari Club and hopefully protect those rights before they get hashed up in Washington. He called it the way he saw it.

The biggest problem with these camapigns - they are not about American people anymore - It's not about who has the best collective group of policies - its how bad you can make the other two look. Win the race with your strong points, show us "we can believe", we can "hope for change"...and maybe theres a glimmer we can achieve 50 % these - that's who should get the vote.

Will one of you please tell us in your words why you are the best candidate right here and right now - (here's the trick - no talking about anyone else but you) --

April 14, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  3. Mike

Hey JN,

Hillary might have used some "kitchen sink" tactics, for all I care, she can throw the kitchen sink, and the bath tub as well, for NObamas campaign is going down the toilet!

Hey, she can throw the toilet too!!!

Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. Kenneth M

Hillary is to Obama as Huck was to McCain

April 14, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  5. Surry

Look at me everyone! I'm a good American! I've shot guns and killed stuff!

April 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  6. USMC1968TETOFFENSE

Marylynette Ferguson

What Issues are you talking about? The government (Demoratic Senate and House) is bailing out all the banks and wall street. Their will not be any money for liberal public education or liberal agenda of any kind. Everyone (including Obama and Clinton) will have to work for a living. I am clueless as to why any sane american would vote for either. They both are connected to the Chicago Political Machine (we in Illinois know all about those crooks) and neither has any experience besides being lawyers or social workers. That does not hack it in the real world of Business or government reform. It is politics as usual. If you want reform, vote for Ralph Nader. Nader has done far more for you and neither of the other candidates hold a candle to this guy's IQ.

April 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  7. Sara from Arizona

PEOPLE!!!! CHECK HER RECORD ON GUN CONTROL AND HER HUSBANDS. They were always anti-gun. OBAMA 08'

April 14, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  8. Gary of El Centro, Ca

It turns our Hillary is a "gun totin", "beer drinkin", "shot slammin", "sniper dodgin", anti NAFTA, down home small town girl. Man, she sure had me fooled.

April 14, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  9. ANOTHER FEAR TACTIC

Who cares? This primary has gone on way too long!

April 14, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  10. Dancing Angel

Well the Hillary trolls are here. Do you all know that they get together, and contact each other and attack comment sections. Don't believe the hip.

Geesh. What a bunch of losers.

April 14, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  11. Joe H.

here we go again

April 14, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  12. Amik Dude

What is the point of bragging you shot a duck? It's like bragging you cut down a cherry tree.

April 14, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  13. navywife

Sounds like another Bosnia and emergency healthcare story to me. I don't believe anything that comes out of her mouth.

April 14, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  14. G.N. Penley

What a hell of a campaign! These two are supposedly running for the office of President of the United States, and they're debating having once shot a duck and similar important issues. And religion–shades of Jimmy Carter.

April 14, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  15. PA Hick Chick

A six-shooter?
    Hunting ducks with a rifle?
    Didn't you people learn anything from Dick Cheney?

If Hillary wants to come up hunting, she is welcome anytime.
    Bear, deer, turkey, pheasant...
    If she shoots it, I'll skin it, butcher it and cook it up for her.
    And she can bring Mrs. Huckabee.
    And afterwards, we'll have a tea party – or maybe we'll guzzle Yuengling.

Go Hillary!!

April 14, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  16. Nancy

Here we go with the "urban legend" crap again.

April 14, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  17. Harry Moyer

I have no doubt that she's telling the truth. Just like Romney being and avid varmint hunter. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

April 14, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  18. Martin

Daer Noah:

The politics of change does not mean that someone who lies, panders, distorts and personally attacks should be ignored. Change means you don't let fools prevail. Hillary and her campaign are fools trying to mislead and demean. Even those who want poltics to change understand you must first cut away the cancer before you can begin to heal.

April 14, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  19. Interesting

If she is so experienced with guns, why didn't she knock back a shot and fire back at those Bosnian snipers?

April 14, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  20. Carrie Pa

Again and again, Hillary will say anything to win.

April 14, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  21. Independent 08

Can someone please check the Arkansas hunting licence register, I smell a Bosnia sniper fire on this one.

April 14, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  22. Ifeanyi Azubike Houston Texas

I can vow that Hillary was out hunting ducks yesterday just like I can vow that the films shot in Bosnia were of a different trip, because I can vouch that she ducked bullets. What I cannot vouch for is that 109 million dolars makes you anthing but an elitist.

April 14, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  23. Bubba

Hills $109M is in Beech Nut stock ! ! ! LOL

April 14, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  24. kate

Obama made a misstatement about race again
    this time it's about Paennsylvanians being racist "not liking people who aren't like them"
    Wright before the PA primary....real smart
    You didn't think it would be reported ?
    What a pompous idiot.
    He makes fun of Hillary because she was having a beer in PA with Pennsylvanians but he can go to a wine tasting in Cali talking about Pennsylvanians?
    He's the one whose pathetic
    Bitter much Barrack?

April 14, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  25. Rachel

I'm glad she has talked about this in the past and I'm glad she is speaking out for the Second Amendment. I do not agree with gun use and wish that guns were banned completely but I do respect that there is a heavy hunting tradition within families and Hillary's only point here is that she respects that and her only concern is for the gun control loopholes.

April 14, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |