April 14th, 2008

Clinton talked up hunting resume in February

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Hillary Clinton's weekend recollection of her youthful hunting lessons wasn't the first time this primary season she's recounted unloading a few shotgun shells.

At her first campaign stop in Wisconsin on February 16, Clinton told an audience at The Brat Stop in Kenosha about her childhood hunting experience.

“You know you may not believe it, but I’ve actually gone hunting,” she said during a riff about gun control and protecting the Second Amendment. “I know, you may not believe it, but it’s true. My father taught me to shoot a hundred years ago.”

After the event, a reporter asked Clinton what exactly she had hunted.

“A duck,” she said, before expanding a little more on her shooting resume. “And a lot of tin cans, and a lot of targets. And some skeet.”

The reporter asked if her father had woken her up as a young girl and taken her to a duck blind to shoot waterfowl. Clinton said no.

“That was in Arkansas,” she said. “I got myself up early in the morning.”

Clinton expanded on the Arkansas duck-hunting tale in the town of Wausau two days later.

“I’ve hunted,” she said, appealing to sportsmen in the crowd. “My father taught me how to hunt. I went duck hunting in Arkansas. I remember standing in that cold water, so cold, at first light.”

“I was with a bunch of my friends, all men. You know, the sun’s up, the ducks are flying and they are playing a trick on me,” she said of her friends.

“They said, ‘we’re not going to shoot, you shoot.’ They wanted to embarrass me. The pressure was on. So I shot, and I shot a banded duck, and they were surprised as I was.”

Clinton has been highlighting her support for the Second Amendment in recent days after her rival Barack Obama was put on the defensive last week for claiming that small town Pennsylvanians get “bitter” and “cling to guns or religion.”

Asked by CNN on Sunday the last time she fired a gun, Clinton declined to answer, saying “that is not a relevant question in this debate.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Sam Murphy

"WELL IT PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT HER ADMINISTRATION WONT DO ANYTHING TO TRY TO LIMIT OUR 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS. I WONDER IF BARRACK HUSSEIN OBAMA HAS EVER HELD A GUN? WELL OTHER THAN AN AK-47, LIKE THEY USE IN HIS NATIVE LAND…LOL. BUT I REALLY WONDER WHAT OBAMA'S STANCE IS ONE THIS SUBJECT. YOU CAN BET ON HILLARY NOT PRESSING ANY GUN CONTROLL, BUT WHAT ABOUT HIM."

Good lord "Dems for McCain"
    His native land is where in your mind? He was born in Hawaii, which was a state in the United States back then, and the last time I checked still is. And in relation to your general ignorance, Hillary fought very hard for gun control in 1999 – was more adamant than her husband. But I guess now she mis-remembers it differently.
    I bet you are just sorry 'ol Newt Gingrich is not running... probably right up your alley! You could try writing him in though!

April 14, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  2. April in Texas

Sounds alot like another Bosnia insident.. I would ask for proof before even believing anything Hillary claims..

Obama 08

April 14, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  3. Hillbilly Not Ever

She's desperate, but she already lost. Sorry Hill, maybe next time.

Obama 08

April 14, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  4. Jeff

This is nuts. Why frame an article like this? Resume'? If I (or Hillary) stood for the second amendment and still believed that we must have appropriate gun control measures, I have to contrast myself with another party member to win a nomination who called people who have guns protected under the same amendment I agree with, who knows full well that Republicans attack Democrats for being snobs, my party lost the last two Presidential races, one of which was after the worst president spent 4 years in office, gun control wasn't something I brought up in the first place, and I think to myself that you just gave the Republicans ANOTHER shot at you and I know they can give me any shot they want, then yes, most of us would do the same thing. Hillary-Obama.

April 14, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  5. Steve

I think this is one of the funniest (in a sad way) moments in the history of American politics. This is SO transparent! She is truly corrupt. I can guarantee you that she couldn't load the weapon her father supposedly let her shoot if her life depended on it.

April 14, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  6. USMC1968TETOFFENSE

Do a little DD. Hillary is from Chicago Area, went to Harvard, then went Arkansas.

April 14, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  7. nikki

My God, now she is a hunter...WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

OBAMA 08'

April 14, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  8. Tyler

Hey Mike,
    Unfortunately she has no chance of winning since she is behind in every category.

April 14, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  9. Tyler

Who cares about her hunting resume, people who are hunters are not going to immediately vote for her.

April 14, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  10. JM

Wow, so now that the Hillary smoke screen is once again in action no one is talking about her disgusting giggle and inability to answer the very important question of conflict of interest and eight hundred thousand dollars......, what is wrong with everyone? Obama says the word bitter and everyone jumps up and down its on every new station and in every paper. Clinton laughs at sucking up hundreds of thousands of jobs and says oh well it's my husband that supports that, and oh well it's Penn that supports that, not me...no one says a thing....WHAT??

April 14, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  11. USAF Sr. Airman

Wow Hillary has shot a gun. I shall now vote for her.

April 14, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  12. Joe Redding, CA

Hillerey is going to be sore looser When senator black ho mama wins
    the presidency. Lets hope he can handel a little name calling.

April 14, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  13. disappointed

I'm a member and NRA advocate and I would never vote for a lieing Clinton who can not be trusted with words when all I see is smoke being blown

April 14, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  14. Jack

Hillary, you don't need to emphasize your hunting skills...... you'll do just fine in PA

Sen Obama has badly damaged his chances..... he should step aside for the good of the party now

April 14, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  15. Susan S.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Who is she kidding?

If anyone believes this utter tripe, I've got a fountain in Yellowstone I'd like to sell you. :)

I am glad her attacks are phoniness are becoming so clear to everyone. Hooray for the union guys who jeered her when she attacked Obama - you rock!

April 14, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  16. Smith

You know.. Hillary is a SPECTACLE of self destruction

you know, she likes the bullets coming and going, like in Bosnia

you know, giggle giggle, another lapse?

you know,

it's SENSATIONAL what an idiot she is with these pathetic tactics.

Who wrote that looney 'out of touch' PA advert?

ready aim SHOOT! You're fired!

April 14, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  17. Earthchild

Only time you'll find a woman brag about hunting is in a P.R. opportunity like this. Hunting is cruel and unecessary and to consider it a "sport" just means you're totally unathletic.

April 14, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  18. Jana

Duck hunting is crul and unecessary. I for one, would not want a woman president who brags about this sort of thing. Way to be like President BUSH Hillary!

April 14, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  19. K.Celina IL for Hillary

Obama and his supporters are from the same lavel !!!!!
    Bitter !!!! is the right choice !!!!!!
    Good Luck to all of obamomaniaks !!!!!!
    The USA World deserve better than bitter !!!!!!!!
    And tha's why I supports HILLARY !!!!!!!
    More cammon sense than enobody !!!!!!

April 14, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  20. Maryann

Unapologetic hunting – another thing President Bush and Hillary have in common!

April 14, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  21. Elliot Johnson

ARG showed Texas 51-47% the day before the election , which happened to be the vote.

In Ohio, they showed the election 56%-42% the day before the election., 54-44 vote

In Wisconsin they showed Obama at 52-42%, 58-41 vote

Missouri 44-42 for Obama 49-48 vote

not unreasonable

April 14, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  22. Maryann

Unapologetic hunting – another thing President Bush and Hillary have in common!

Go ahead CNN, delete the post like you always do anytime anyone says anything controversial!!!

April 14, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  23. Kimy

Listen Obama! I do not care that you have an excellent health plan. So what if you are the only one committed to ending the Iraq war. You have a good economic plan, so what. What I want to know is. Why cant you bowl? How many shots of whiskey can you handle? And most important. How many ducks have you shot?

April 14, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  24. Dee

wow...a hundred years ago? Somebody send this to Jay Leno. I want Jay to add something and make me laugh.
    Are these candidates thinking something else when they talk?

April 14, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  25. Sharon

Why is everyone talking about the ARG poll today that shows Hillary up by 20 points? SurveyUSA had her up 18points LAST WEEK!

BO is an absolute joke....I've felt he had these "hidden" feelings about other people since he looked down on Hillary MONTHS ago and said "you're likable enough, Hillary." AND "I'm pretty sure I can get her votes, I'm not so sure she can get mine" He is soooooo bad.....

I think SNL needs to do an ANNIE OAKLEY skit with Hillary and Obama :)

April 14, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |