April 14th, 2008

Clinton talked up hunting resume in February

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Hillary Clinton's weekend recollection of her youthful hunting lessons wasn't the first time this primary season she's recounted unloading a few shotgun shells.

At her first campaign stop in Wisconsin on February 16, Clinton told an audience at The Brat Stop in Kenosha about her childhood hunting experience.

“You know you may not believe it, but I’ve actually gone hunting,” she said during a riff about gun control and protecting the Second Amendment. “I know, you may not believe it, but it’s true. My father taught me to shoot a hundred years ago.”

After the event, a reporter asked Clinton what exactly she had hunted.

“A duck,” she said, before expanding a little more on her shooting resume. “And a lot of tin cans, and a lot of targets. And some skeet.”

The reporter asked if her father had woken her up as a young girl and taken her to a duck blind to shoot waterfowl. Clinton said no.

“That was in Arkansas,” she said. “I got myself up early in the morning.”

Clinton expanded on the Arkansas duck-hunting tale in the town of Wausau two days later.

“I’ve hunted,” she said, appealing to sportsmen in the crowd. “My father taught me how to hunt. I went duck hunting in Arkansas. I remember standing in that cold water, so cold, at first light.”

“I was with a bunch of my friends, all men. You know, the sun’s up, the ducks are flying and they are playing a trick on me,” she said of her friends.

“They said, ‘we’re not going to shoot, you shoot.’ They wanted to embarrass me. The pressure was on. So I shot, and I shot a banded duck, and they were surprised as I was.”

Clinton has been highlighting her support for the Second Amendment in recent days after her rival Barack Obama was put on the defensive last week for claiming that small town Pennsylvanians get “bitter” and “cling to guns or religion.”

Asked by CNN on Sunday the last time she fired a gun, Clinton declined to answer, saying “that is not a relevant question in this debate.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Marne D

To speculate over Hillary Clinton's gun usage is pretty asinine – almost as asinine as that n00b armed with a false definition of a buzz word and the ability to call people names.

Keep grasping at those straws. Gurus love their followers blind.

April 14, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  2. Kym

Now that we know Hillary can shoot, I suggest Obama avoid nominating her as his VP. The temptation for the White House might be too much for her.
    PS: Does any other American think it's time for the "None of the Above" box on the ballot? If this box won the majority all parties would have to send in a better candidate.

April 14, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  3. yao

Does anyone on this forum belived that if the situation were to be reversed, Obama in this position that Hillary is the whole democrat would have him step down and Hillary would have come with some flamzy lie to have him quit too .Americans wake up Hillary only intrest is how to pay back the $5mil she loan herself. After all Obama never attack Hillary on any of lies ( MISSPOKED).

April 14, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  4. Lin

To all Obama loosers here 's some info, under the Clinton years PA unemployed fell from 7.3% down to 4.1%. Still believe your liar when he blames president Clinton for people loosing their jobs and becomming bitter and dangerous anti immigrants with guns. Then mabe I can sell you a piece of rock for 1000. dollars, i mean if you believe anything.

April 14, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  5. Eric

After months of reading those blogs, we can firmly say that racism is alive and well. Most of Obama haters will hide behind any kind of reasons to spill their hatred of a african american who could become president. It is sad but considering that only 40 years ago, they could not sit where they wanted in a bus, it is nothing to be surprised by.

For those of you mentionning Hussein every time you write about Obama, why don't you do the same for Clinton and Mccain. Yes, you don't know their middle name because Fox news hasn't told you.
    Pathetic.

April 14, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  6. Sue Z

My grandfather showed me how to shoot tin cans and took me along with him hunting, too. That doesn't mean I understand hunters in small towns or would ever consider myself to be a hunter. Seems to fall under the same category as claiming being married to a president makes you qualified to be president. Hanging out with a dad who took you duck hunting does not make you a hunter and give you insight into their world. Give me a break.

April 14, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  7. alice2

Well, Hillary knows we will NOT BELIEVE anything she says, so, she, herself starts out by saying "You may not believe this but-–" Your stories are just that, "Stories" You'r NOT CREDITABLE HILLARY. JUST A LIAR.

April 14, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  8. Big Tex

In her own words, Senator Clinton said,

A lot of these lobbyists, whether you like it or not, represent real Americans. They actually do. They represent nurses, they represent social workers - yes, they represent corporations that employ a lot of people."

The former first lady said that she welcomed the debate on the issue.

April 14, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  9. kentucky

Well just when you think the word"carpetbagger" was something that you read about in history books, along come the Clinton's again! I just hope education and excess to the media has caught with the people of Pennsylvania. Hello!!!!! They screwed you over with NAFTA and now the are planning to do it again with China and Columbia free tade agreements.

April 14, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  10. Ralph

Hilllary has experinece hunting too. Maybe that's where she got mixed up with the sniper fire. Yeah, that's it. By the way, did she ever appologize for lying to the American people to get votes? She could just explain her desperation, and that this is how she operates when her agenda tumps all pthers, which is always.

April 14, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  11. peacenow

Hillary says "I remember standing in that cold water." I think she should avoid using the verb "REMEMBER" as it's synonymous with lies, every time she pronounces it. This is reminiscent of her famous "I remember we landed under sniper fire..."

April 14, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  12. jps

she hunted "a" duck? Did she track "the" duck in the woods? And why did she single out "a" duck. What was it about this one duck? It had the biggest rack?

April 14, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  13. Evelyn

Sorry!!!!
    Is Her duck hunt anything like Bosnea (smile)
    CHECK THE FACTS, after all Mrs. Clinton is known to expand on Her own stories, and by the way was she duck hunting at 3:00am?

Evelyn

April 14, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  14. California Voter

We need to get back to the real issues here – our economy is in big trouble and CNN is spending time on whether or not a story where the final question from a reporter was when was the last time Hillary fired a gun. Boom! I would have said to that reporter. And Obama's comments about her being Annie Oakley. I bet Obama would not say something like that to Michelle.

By the way, where's the reports on CNN about Hillary's recent delegate endorsements? You've religiously played up all of Obama's endorsements.

April 14, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  15. Will

The fact that she keeps talking after people in the crowd say they do not agree about how they feel. Shows out of touch she is!

April 14, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  16. Teta

What are you all going to say when either Hillary or Obama gets the nomination and they all kiss and make up. Get real folks. This is what Politics is all about. Its a game. In the end, the democrats will come together.

April 14, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  17. John

Hillary 57%,Obama 37% in Pennsylvania polls!!! Good for her ,and bashers can say all they want.Go!!!!!!!! Hillary Go!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  18. kentucky

Hillary, thats not thunder your hearing, its the Boos that are starting.

April 14, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  19. Vig

Hillary needs to get back on message and forget about Obama – let him hang himself. She needs to stop talking about herself, her adventures, her childhood, her parents. She is thee much, much better candidate then Mr. Elitist

April 14, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  20. Bill, Streamwood, IL

Despite her recent recollections, Bosnian snipers not withstanding, about her fondness for guns and Canadian whiskey, it doesn't take too far a trip down memory lane to remember how tight Senator Clinton was, and still is, with Senator Schumer, Sarah Brady and the fanaticial gun-grabber lobbyists.

Once Hillary Clinton gets elected and the Dems get REAL control over the Senate and the House, American citizens can kiss their Second Amendment right 's good-bye.

April 14, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  21. Jerry

Can we believe anything the pant suit princess says?
    Maybe too many boilermakers imparing her thoughts.

Jerry
    Roselle, Illinois

April 14, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  22. PhilT

It's not HRC – it's HZC (Hillary Zelig Clinton)..

The good ole girl probably bores and strokes her Camaro's engine and races on Friday nights down in the "Badlands" or on "Thunder Road".

Vroom, vroom!

April 14, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  23. Michael

If you want to do something good for the country go hunting with Dick Cheney.

April 14, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  24. J T

hey hillary, shooting ducks and targets in a video game doesnt count, ya liar. did you play a video game where you had to dodge sniper fire too?

April 14, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  25. Crystal

It is Obama who has disdain for Gun owners and the one who wants to change the gun laws and take away your fundamental rights of ownership. I believe that Hillary does know how to load and shot a gun, rifle and hand gun.. I am her age, and I certainly do. People of our age have a much greater respect for the right to bear arms. And I too was taught how to shoot by my father, and my brothers. It was just one of my life experiences, as it was hers. I do not think BO shared any of these similar life experiences.

April 14, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |