April 14th, 2008

Clinton talked up hunting resume in February

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Hillary Clinton's weekend recollection of her youthful hunting lessons wasn't the first time this primary season she's recounted unloading a few shotgun shells.

At her first campaign stop in Wisconsin on February 16, Clinton told an audience at The Brat Stop in Kenosha about her childhood hunting experience.

“You know you may not believe it, but I’ve actually gone hunting,” she said during a riff about gun control and protecting the Second Amendment. “I know, you may not believe it, but it’s true. My father taught me to shoot a hundred years ago.”

After the event, a reporter asked Clinton what exactly she had hunted.

“A duck,” she said, before expanding a little more on her shooting resume. “And a lot of tin cans, and a lot of targets. And some skeet.”

The reporter asked if her father had woken her up as a young girl and taken her to a duck blind to shoot waterfowl. Clinton said no.

“That was in Arkansas,” she said. “I got myself up early in the morning.”

Clinton expanded on the Arkansas duck-hunting tale in the town of Wausau two days later.

“I’ve hunted,” she said, appealing to sportsmen in the crowd. “My father taught me how to hunt. I went duck hunting in Arkansas. I remember standing in that cold water, so cold, at first light.”

“I was with a bunch of my friends, all men. You know, the sun’s up, the ducks are flying and they are playing a trick on me,” she said of her friends.

“They said, ‘we’re not going to shoot, you shoot.’ They wanted to embarrass me. The pressure was on. So I shot, and I shot a banded duck, and they were surprised as I was.”

Clinton has been highlighting her support for the Second Amendment in recent days after her rival Barack Obama was put on the defensive last week for claiming that small town Pennsylvanians get “bitter” and “cling to guns or religion.”

Asked by CNN on Sunday the last time she fired a gun, Clinton declined to answer, saying “that is not a relevant question in this debate.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Mil-town

Clinton is done for. Anyone who donates money to her loves to burn money – oh way, it's usually interest groups who donate anyway!

April 14, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  2. Sandra

If Hillary receives the nomination I believe that McCain would be more then justified to run ads protraying Clinton as "the individual who stabbed her own party member in the back. Do you want to vote for a back stabber".

April 14, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  3. vince - phoenix

OlvrWht...

if you never see Obama supporters talking issues.... then you are as blind as Stevie Wonder...

April 14, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  4. Ms. C

Well, well, well, who's out of touch?
    This just goes to show how far Hillary will go. If Obama start on her about her lying about being attacked under "Sniper" fire, she would be saying oh I'm sleep deprived.
    Does Hillary really think everyone is stupid or just her supporters? How in the world can she expect anyone to believe she is in touch when she made over 100 mill in less than 8 years. This doesn't seem to average to me!!!!!! Just remember Hillary is on Bill by any means.
    Give me a break Hillary. What happen to the issues???????

April 14, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  5. Ade

If this woman wins, then Americans are STUPID!

April 14, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  6. Raelee

The way this election is going, you all deserve everything bad that befalls you. That includes the war cuz there will be no change because its win at all cost.
    Tell this to the families of the fallen, the foreclosed homeowners, those who are loosing thier jobs.
    When you all grow up, mabee you will get a presedent that was elected on issues not this crap of what someone said and did
    God bless you all you are going to need all the blessings you can get

April 14, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  7. John

She only shot at the duck because it shot at her first, on an airport tarmac in Bosnia.

April 14, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  8. Illinois voter

Obama is the most arrogant politician to run for office in a long time. His supporters are simply too preconditioned in their unjustifiable hate for Hillary to realize that Obama is a snob.

Hillary or McCain '08

April 14, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  9. Jen B.

She has probably lost many animal rights and vegetarian voters with that story.
    I suppose she'll be telling us next that she eats tofu twice a week and is thinking of adopting some cats. Gotta cover all the bases, doesn't matter how much "misspeaking" it takes.

April 14, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  10. Balla

she was hunting "skeet"?
    hopefully she got an endorsement from lil john.

April 14, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  11. Grif

When you're that young, you tend to follow Parents Sporting Habits., whatever they are. So even though I don't believe in Weapons in the Home. What's to say?. If her Parents had Hated Guns, then it most likely would have been the Opposite...

April 14, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  12. CNN Hater

It still amazes me how many twisted minds would support either one of these whackos.

CONSERVATIVE! Because someone has to work!

April 14, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  13. For Obama

But at this point, one must wonder about Hillary"s commitment to universal healthcare in the first place. Now that we"ve seen the several faces of Hillary, along with the Clinton"s Machiavellian approach to politics, one is tempted to wonder if Hillary was really as committed to universal healthcare as she claimed, or was she simply building a resume for this future run for the presidency. Her commitment seems especially suspect now, since it has recently been revealed that she failed to pay the healthcare premiums for her own campaign staff.

According to Politico.com , Hillary has failed to pay $292,000 in healthcare premiums for her own staff. And what makes this episode even more ironic is the fact that Hillary"s failure to pay those premiums reinforces a point that Obama has repeatedly made during the campaign. Hillary claimed that Obama"s plan was flawed because it didn"t cover all of the people. In response, Obama said that his plan covered anyone who wanted to be insured, but he didn"t make it mandatory that every adult be insured because under Hillary"s plan if a person couldn"t afford to pay the premium they"d be fined for missing the payment, which would create an additional financial burden on many people. Now maybe Hillary will understand Obama"s point. If Hillary"s campaign staff had been insured under her plan, in addition to having to pay the $292,000 in back premiums, she"d also be facing a fine

April 14, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  14. Breathe People

Everyone take a breath. I am an Obama supporter, but not a Hillary hater. I know we get a little head up about all of this, but these are two good Presidential candidates who could both lead the country well. Please take stock.

April 14, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  15. Tina, NC

Arkansas? Her father taught her to hunt in Arkansas?? I thought she only went to Arkansas AFTER she married Bill. Wasn't she from Illinois? Oh, I forgot about the small cottage with no heat (in the summer by the way) in PA.

My 7 year old can lie better than Hillary.

Hillary, you and Bill are the best thing that ever happened to Obama.

April 14, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  16. vic nashville,Tn

Bye Obama Your shows over
    Hillary 08

April 14, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  17. Dennis, WA State Democrat

Who cares?

Report the real story. Hillary can't win unless 67% of the remaining Super Delegates choose to over ride the popular vote. Its over. Why are we going on and on about these petty things. Wow am I looking forward to some real debate on the real issues.

Will somebody please start reporting that the race is over!

April 14, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  18. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I am so sick of this he said she said school yard mess. Have they lost their minds and forgot about the real issues. I expect more than what I'm hearing from Hillary and I hope Obama does not engage himself in this type of silliness. I think Hillary has became so desperate until she will say anything and that's pathetic.

April 14, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  19. Kathy

First Obama puts down blue collar workers for guns and now he and his supporters are putting down Hillary for hunting and target practice with her father. I too did that with my father, mainly so I could spend time with him. Hunting is a way of life for most of America.
    The second amendment is a good one and I guess Obama doesn't believe in it.

April 14, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  20. Agnes

Yea, right.

Hilliery is still lying.

April 14, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  21. Diane, Buffalo, Wy.

It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly a shot rang out. It was Hillary and Dick Cheney hunting together::)

April 14, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  22. Tom - Michigan

I guess she forgot about participating in the Million Women march against guns and proudly proclaiming she has never handled one.

Watch out for that sniper fire........so Hillary, another mis-speak, or more accurately, another lie....................

April 14, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  23. FrankSmith

OOlvrWhit is one of those Hillary supporters who is not capable of doing his/her own research. As a learned individual, I have all the documents that each candidate (even Edwards) put out there!! Go, go, and go do your research. These candidates, like Hillary, no longer want to talk about the issues. This is what you get when you run with/against Hillary; she is a nasty woman!

April 14, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  24. CaliforniaDreamer 08

Wow, Now Hillary is a hunter, too.!!!! Hillary Clinton will said anything to get elected. The lies keep on coming.

April 14, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  25. cc4obama

She wants to promote gun laws to keep guns out of the hands of children, but then admits that one of her fondest memories is of her childhood, and learning how to hunt and shoot!

If she's so experienced with a gun, why didn't she shoot back at the snipers in Bosnia????

April 14, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |