April 14th, 2008

McCain camp fundraises over 'bitter' comment

McCain's campaign is seeking to raise money off of Obama's 'bitter' comment.
McCain's campaign is seeking to raise money off of Obama's 'bitter' comment.

(CNN) – Hours after John McCain called Barack Obama's comments about some small-town Americans "elitist," the Arizona senator's campaign sent out a fundraising e-mail seeking to capitalize on the now-famous remarks.

"These words are revealing on a number of levels, and expose the out-of-touch beliefs to which John McCain offers stark contrast," McCain campaign manager Rick Davis writes in the e-mail.

Obama's comments came over a week ago at a San Francisco fundraiser, when he told supporters decades of lost jobs and unfulfilled promises from Washington have left some Pennsylvanians "bitter" and clinging "to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

"If Barack Obama is the Democrat nominee in the general election, the American people will have a clear choice between two different visions – Senator Obama's liberal, elitist philosophy and John McCain's faith in the small town values that continue to make America great. John McCain will not forget them or write them off. Neither should Barack Obama," Davis also writes.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. GM from MN

How rich is McCain's spouse again?

Who is the elitist?

April 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  2. Mike

Way to go John. Hopefully between now and November the American voter will realize just how unqualified Obama and Clinton really are.

April 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. GM from MN

Marge Hibbing Mn-

Hillary and McCain are simply taking the words that Obama said and twisted them to their likings.

There was nothing at all wrong with anything that he said.

But yet you support a woman who lies and then goes on Jay Leno and jokes about her lie.

April 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. Phil From VA

lol, this is the funniest. John MCCain who wants to give tax cuts to the wealthy who cheated on his wife to marry a millionaire. hahahahaha

April 14, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. Justin

John McSame as Clinton. Both elitists stuck in the 90s.

April 14, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  6. Chief lagosboy, NJ

First it was Hillary now its McCain. This is just dirty politics at its best, Pathetic!

Our President Obama 08’ & 12’

April 14, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  7. Carl from Pa

Really, an elitist? Anyone who says this or believes this knows nothing about Barack Obama. He is from a very moderate family who's father immigrated here – living on the American Dream. When given the choice, Barack decided to dedicate his time and effort helping churches in Chicago and working with the people. This man is anything but elitist. Hopefully the American people don't believe everything they here.

McCain = politics as usual.

Obama '08 !

April 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  8. Armywife

If I had lost my job to someone who lived in another country, I would be bitter too; and no amount of "I promise to fix it" would make it go away. I would lose the little faith I do have in Washington, because they signed the agreement that made this happen.

April 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  9. Tyrone

Trade is the enemy of America – If we still made all of our own clothes, machinery, and food we would be the dominant superpower. China and India have stolen our jobs and reduced our standard of living. All we have to do is close the borders and get americans to work again.

April 14, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  10. digita

You can be an elitist without being rich, just as you can be a racist without being white.

April 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  11. wycliffe

McCain does not even understand economics....thats not his field. Wait for the real race after democratic nomination.

April 14, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  12. John

I "cling" to religion because of my faith not because I am bitter. it am not bitter because I choose not to live in a big city.

What has O done for me lately? Did he help me with my mortgage? No!! Did he pay for my healthcare? No! Did he help with stopping the illegal immigration? No! He is just like Hillary and John. All of them are politicians! Period!

April 14, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  13. Ann California

It looks like the people of Pennsylvania are tired of hearing the word "Bitter "as Hillary was jeered for bringing this up again in a campaign event today. I would hope McCain would see this and realize sticking to the issues is what the voters want to hear. Every candidate in this campaign has said ," I've made a mistake and it probably won't be the last." So let's get on with it and get back to the issues at hand.

April 14, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  14. janet

shame on you McCain!

April 14, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  15. RT

First they spin it, then they exploit it!!!

April 14, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  16. Estelle

Can anyone help him ? he is confusing OBAMA and HILLARY...

April 14, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  17. Jeff T

As if McCain never said or did anything he later regretted! I think that to be a politician is to be basically flawed from the get-go. I think I would be more astonished if a politician ever said anything constructive than by any stupid negative uttered by people who want to be our representatives.

I just hope that whoever gets elected remembers that he or she works for us! They are not our leaders, they are our representatives, even the president. Washington warned us against allowing political parties to make our decisions for us, and Jefferson reminded us that in spite of political parties we are all Americans with a common cause. How little we remember that parties and politicians are there to serve us, not vice versa.

Shame on politicians for playing to the lowest common denominator, and shame on us for cheering them on.

April 14, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  18. Jacob

McCain needs to retire to a nursing home, of course if Hillary is the nominee I guess I will vote for him... give him my money, never! My money only goes to the true people's candidate: Barack Obama!

April 14, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  19. Krissy, FL

It is evident that John McCain has all of the other blue collar, poorly educated folks, support Hillary or McCain.

April 14, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  20. Kozicka

Come on, we are at war, $ is sinking and our former president lobbies for foreign Governments instead of for people in PA, etc.
    This juvenile ‘elitist’ discussion is just going too far.

April 14, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  21. Eli

Mccain will raise alot off of that comment and if it comes down between him and Obama this fall McCain will WIN.

April 14, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  22. Clement Uzo Chukwudifu

Really, one is getting tired of these over-flogged Obama's remarks. Those who are accusing him of being elitist are the hardened and fossilised ones. Obama has tasted what it meant to be in want. He knows that people who suffer seek solace somehow in some place or other. Obama should be left alone. These people should talk about things that will make the world a better place for everyone on this planet and not pick on some insignificant matters of little or consequence. Obamma has what it takes to face the pains of teh world.

April 14, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. carmen

DIGITA, and I guess you can be poor without being rich, and you can be rich without being poor... give me a break! Multi-millionaires Clinton and McCain did not mean to imply a compliment when they called Obama an elitist.

April 14, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. Allison R.

Shame on you McCain! I grew up in small-town PA and yes, believe it or not, PEOPLE ARE BITTER! You were my go-to guy in case Barack didn't get the nomination...now who will I vote for? Nadar?
    It is a well known theory in sociology that people tend to flock to things they can control (such as religion and guns) when something they cannot control (such as the failing economy and their perpetual governmental neglect) goes awry...
    And you are completely out of the loop if you think that losing jobs makes people happy!

April 14, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  25. slopez

The president and the candidates don't care about me. Their only concern is for them selves. I am bitter. Why is it when a candidate speaks the truth, no one likes it. Yet everyone always says they want a candidate to tell the truth.

April 14, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |