April 14th, 2008

McCain camp fundraises over 'bitter' comment

McCain's campaign is seeking to raise money off of Obama's 'bitter' comment.
McCain's campaign is seeking to raise money off of Obama's 'bitter' comment.

(CNN) – Hours after John McCain called Barack Obama's comments about some small-town Americans "elitist," the Arizona senator's campaign sent out a fundraising e-mail seeking to capitalize on the now-famous remarks.

"These words are revealing on a number of levels, and expose the out-of-touch beliefs to which John McCain offers stark contrast," McCain campaign manager Rick Davis writes in the e-mail.

Obama's comments came over a week ago at a San Francisco fundraiser, when he told supporters decades of lost jobs and unfulfilled promises from Washington have left some Pennsylvanians "bitter" and clinging "to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

"If Barack Obama is the Democrat nominee in the general election, the American people will have a clear choice between two different visions – Senator Obama's liberal, elitist philosophy and John McCain's faith in the small town values that continue to make America great. John McCain will not forget them or write them off. Neither should Barack Obama," Davis also writes.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Noah

I can not believe that people are blaming Hillary or McCain for Obama's offensive remarks. They have spun this about the word bitter and totally ignored the fact that he called people bigots. Obama is the master of deception..He continues to spin his wrong doings and this will catch up to him. I was a democrat, but I can never vote for this man, because of him and his childish supporters.

April 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  2. Mike from Pueblo

Americans bitter? Holding on to guns, religion, anit-imigration and anti-trade sentiment? Ouch! Could it be that some of Reverend Wright's ideology has inadvertantly rubbed off on Obama during the 20 years of sermons that Obama supposedly was never around to hear?

The longer that the Democratic primaries drag on, the more the candidates will have an opportunity to give the media jackals juicy sound-bite morsels to parse endlessly. Then, as Democrats snipe at each other, the give more ammunition they give to the Republicans for the election. If Obama's fellow Democrat, Hillary can blast McCain for a sound-bite comment, why then, it should certainly be fair game for McCain! I don't blame McCain for using this sound-bite-moment opportunity for his own benefit. God bless the Democratic process!

April 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. vic nashville,Tn

Obama we know how did you vote in Illinois state senate you blame the voting machine. Don’t ever thing you can hide any thing when you are working for public
    you are not smart you try to be smart
    Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

April 14, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  4. typical whte male

I intend to vote for Hillary.... but as time goes by I am liking McCain and will vote for this true American should Obama get the nod. I like McCain, I really do.

April 14, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  5. Tam/Stone Mountain

Obama's problem is that he needs to stop trying to act like he has all the answers to why people do what they do. I am so tired of hearing everyone else trying to explain what the man meant to say. He got caught thinking out loud and this time it came from his mouth not his good friend the Rev. Just admit, what Obama said has offended alot of people and I think he should not make light of it. That is the wrong strategy. Maybe he need another speech. I think if he wins the nomination we will be hearing alot from him.

April 14, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  6. Jude

I think its a stupid tatic to use this to raise money but I guess time will tell right! I mean if people are dumb enough to send money to McCain (McSame as Bush) when they are "bitter" then America is "hopeless" anyways and nothing is going to change Washington. Time will tell if the American People has had enough with "Politics as usuall".

April 14, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  7. Wide Awake

Vote Hillary or McCain and more jobs for Colombians. But look on the bright side Billary gets paid to send your jobs south of the border and your illegal immigration problem may be solved inadvertently

April 14, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  8. Darcy - Arkansas

I wonder if John McCain would consider Letting Hillary run on his ticket with him... or vice versa, I don't care which is on top of the ticket, it will give me a chance to vote against both of them at once.

April 14, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  9. Tim, Texas

The world is watching how are democracy works, they must be laughing.

April 14, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  10. james

I can't wait until John Mccain is "well vetted". Word is, there are alot of skeleton bones in his closet.

April 14, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  11. Josh

John McCain. The only senator to miss EVERY environmental vote this season. Keep up the good work, and thanks for looking out for the "small town people" who actually care.

April 14, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  12. Gail

I just donated to Obama, like I do every month. We are the people and we do not have to be motivated to give to our candidate based on fear and hate messages.

Dems Unite – Obama 08

April 14, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. Clevelander

Bitter? Why would anyone be bitter after losing their home, job, car, etc. and perhaps having to move where they don't know anyone and having to yank their kids out of a school they wanted to graduate from? If you ask me, Hillary and now McCain are the ones who have "mis-spoke". Obama was just telling it like it is–the other candidates play up anti-gun control and religion to "get people through hard times". This gets people to vote against themselves (ourselves). It worked in 2000 and 2004-NOT THIS YEAR!!!

April 14, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  14. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

This is shameful. Obama, who grew up in a broken family, lived VERY modestly and was on food stamps, and who has dedicated his entire adult life to action and advocacy for the poor and working Americans, is now being cast as an out of touch elitist by Lou Dobbs, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and loads of other hypocrite Republicans who don't care in the least about the down and out. OBAMA's getting MY vote and money-NOT Clinton or McBush!
    OBAMA '08 AND '12!!!!!!

April 14, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  15. furustrated in PA

All three of these candidates are highly unqualified. None of them have held executive office. We Americans are truly screwed this election cycle. I feel as if I don't have a horse in this race. How did we as Americans get to this point? Where is the pride in our country?

Romney '08

April 14, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  16. jack patton

i think obama said what people think but dont say, i know myself iam bitter but i dont say anything because it seems to not help. i think their is a lot of people who feel the same way. iam not bitter at him for speaking the truth.we need someone who knows how we feel. thank you for speaking the truth.

April 14, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  17. Arie

I am bitter also. And I think his comments were truth. They were taken out content.

April 14, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. Gail

Hillary better be glad she is running against a candidate who does not go negative. Don't be fooled, we all know what a campign in the fall against Hillary would look like. They have been awaiting on this for years. This why McCain is trying to make sure Obama does not win, because, THE REPUBLICAN KNOW THEY CAN BEAT HILLARY, BUT NOT OBAMA

Dems Unite

April 14, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. Terry

The very first day this all started and the Clinton and McCain campaigns put out official statements I couldn't help but notice how almost identical they were. Makes you wonder why...something stinks in Denmark.

April 14, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. Perry

Look at Obama's elitist face in the very picture of this article.

Can't stand the guy.

April 14, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. Eddie

John McCain has faith that small town people will not see him and the neo-republicans for who they are.If he is so in touch or his party is so in touch why have they not kept jobs,reformed trade policies,or even taken the time to come and here some of your small town concerns.Oh,I forgot your concerns are psychological and you need a shrink,not a President For The People.Somebody please help!!!!!

April 14, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  22. Jeremy

So speaking the truth is a bad thing? 81% of Americans believe the country is heading in the wrong direction. Should we be proud of that? Someone who is elite by definition is someone who is the best at what they do and has an high intellect. That is a person that I want as my president!! We have had almost 8 years of an dimwit running this country.

April 14, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  23. Matt

It didn't take the comment about small town America that made me believe Obama was an Elitist, it was Oprah.

April 14, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  24. Chris

I find it hard to believe that Obama is being labled an elitist by two people who have incomes like McCain and Clinton.

Please give me a break!!!

April 14, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  25. Adele

Instead og attacking Obama, why doesn't he go out and talk about the economy. Oh! I forgot, he knows nothing about the economy. So why not speak of something that will divert attention from his lack of knowledge.

April 14, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |