April 14th, 2008

McCain camp fundraises over 'bitter' comment

McCain's campaign is seeking to raise money off of Obama's 'bitter' comment.
McCain's campaign is seeking to raise money off of Obama's 'bitter' comment.

(CNN) – Hours after John McCain called Barack Obama's comments about some small-town Americans "elitist," the Arizona senator's campaign sent out a fundraising e-mail seeking to capitalize on the now-famous remarks.

"These words are revealing on a number of levels, and expose the out-of-touch beliefs to which John McCain offers stark contrast," McCain campaign manager Rick Davis writes in the e-mail.

Obama's comments came over a week ago at a San Francisco fundraiser, when he told supporters decades of lost jobs and unfulfilled promises from Washington have left some Pennsylvanians "bitter" and clinging "to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

"If Barack Obama is the Democrat nominee in the general election, the American people will have a clear choice between two different visions – Senator Obama's liberal, elitist philosophy and John McCain's faith in the small town values that continue to make America great. John McCain will not forget them or write them off. Neither should Barack Obama," Davis also writes.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Oregon IS Obama

Looks like old John's as out of touch with reality as Clinton. These people are living on another planet. We the people will give them a taste of bitter all the way to the White House.

Obama will be our next President.

April 14, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  2. Janie, Raleigh, N.C.

It breaks my heart that the love affair of the media and others has allowed Barack Obama to capture so many votes. I believe that had the early states known about Rev. Wright Obama would never have won those states. Now, he has more than 40 million $$$$ to sling mud at Senator Clinton. Many of us who are strong Democrats will never vote for this man in a general election. Democrats will go down to defeat again.

April 14, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. Here and now

It's frightening that so many voters are eager to berate the truth when it comes to the forefront.

April 14, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  4. Matthew

Sorry, just out of interest – why is CNN simply reprinting McCain's talking points? This isn't news. The 'bitter' comment was news, but this is just crappy journalism.

April 14, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  5. illinois

i think the attention of Obama's remarks shows two anxious and fearsome canidates Clinton and McCain. I am a replublican but with these immature come backs has convinced me of supporting Obama

April 14, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  6. Kester

I THINK MC CAIN'S STRATEGY DOES NOT WORK AT ALL AS WELL AS HILLARY..SHAME ON YOU HILLARY AND SHAME ON YOU MC CAIN.

OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT 08

April 14, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  7. RealityKing

The bitterness Obama feels is a direct result of the victimization message he has been hearing from his pastor for the last two decades..

April 14, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. Justin

Enough already Obama!! The rock star needs to fade. Let the only viable contender beat the Republicans already!

April 14, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  9. sad hazzen

People all over the world are supporting Mr.obama for president of the great United States of America. I think he will unite the world on one common issue: survival
    Obama,we love you.

April 14, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  10. Paris

I am sorry did I miss something?
    I thought Obama was agent of change and hope.
    What happened to your “ Yes we can”? You can with what? Bitterness and looking down on people?

April 14, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. Diane

Its either HILLIARY or JOHN McCAIN for President..... Obama your children need you at home !

April 14, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  12. Dee

I am from a small military town, and YES, I AM BITTER!! Bitter that McCain won't even talk about an end to this war. McCain is worse than Dick Cheney. McCain can't even stand up for himself. And he wants to be president. PLEASE!!

Obama!

April 14, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  13. sivananthi

Mccain will win big in november and unite the country....

April 14, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  14. jeremy

And you say Obama is wrong???????????? The Poor just got taken advantage of my McCAIN!!

April 14, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  15. 1911

What are you talking about McCain? It is true that most Americans lean towards faith and other things as a means of getting through desperate times. That's what Barack was trying to convey. In no way did Obama suggest that he didn't understand or agree with the actual reasoning behind it.

April 14, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  16. Kathy Corey

This is just the beginning. Obama is not electable. Obama is a superficial candidate. Most of supporters know nothing about his positions. The Republicans always try to define the Democratic candidate as not patriotic and out of touch with the mainstream of America. Obama has fed into this with his own "bitter" words and his own Pastor's anti-American sentiment. The Republicans will not pull any punches. Hold onto your hats, it is going to be a bumpy ride.

April 14, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  17. JohnLee

I guess if that is the only way McCain can raise money, it just proves how "much" all his supporters like him! Let's see how many of them turn out in November!

April 14, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  18. Chris

Give me a break...talk about making something out of nothing. Oh, and I'm sure, McCain won't forget them...he'll just get confused and call them Ohioans instead.

April 14, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  19. John

I agree that some of us are bitter. But I don't agree that "clinging" to gun and religion is a sign of bitterness!!

Obama did not know what he was talking about!!

I don't want someone to mock my religious belief!!

April 14, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  20. Steveleft

I hope all you right wingers fear change, because that's what is going to happen come January 2009. You would be naive in believing Hillary's criticism toward Obama has lessened his supporters. It has only strengthened them in believing, we won't stand another four years with a "hawk" or another Clinton. Face it, your time has fallen.

April 14, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  21. John

Obama hit the nail on the head when he said people are bitter, unfortunately they are also apathetic, I think that goes hand in hand. Hopefully they will see a chance for change and vote.

April 14, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  22. Nick - Arlington, VA

All of this is getting so pathetic….you guys know that Hillary and Obama have the same ISSUES…you know, those things that matter….I'm an Obama supporter, but by principle I will vote for Hillary if she wins…why? because this isn't a beauty contest…it is about the issues…not this stupid bickering.

April 14, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  23. Debby

Obama is definitely not an elitist, otherwise he would have never have made the comments he did. His campaign and his religion have become a farce over the past month and a half, and I thank the media for bringing it to the surface.

April 14, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  24. Get Real

The medias have power & responsibility. They chose the power to manupilate over responsibility. They'll reap what they sow.

April 14, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  25. Bob Venard

so Obama made a wrong choice for his words. His message is right on.... the entire country is bitter at the current administration and McCain or Bill's wife is not the answer. It also really bothers me that Bill got 800K from Columbia for a speech... give me a break. If she is elected, he is on the hook for the trade agreement. Vote for Obama and lets get all this mess in DC cleaned up!

April 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |