April 14th, 2008

McCain focuses on media coverage

CNN

Watch John McCain discuss the media coverage Monday

(CNN)— John McCain emphasized the importance of media on Monday saying the American public is better informed and able to make better choices because of the constant coverage of politicians.

“I will screw up sometimes and frankly so will you,” McCain said at The Associated Press’ annual meeting. “But on the whole, you and I, and most importantly the American people are better served by the openness and accountability that direct, lengthy, and frequent exchanges with the press produces.”

The presumptive Republican nominee acknowledged the downside of around-the-clock coverage saying his comments are sometimes misinterpreted and portray him in a different light than he had intended. He added that there are days that he wished the media was “somewhere else” rather than highlighting his missteps.

McCain has been criticized for not connecting as personally as he should with voters, particularly on economic concerns. But overall, McCain said he’ll take his chances with the media, “and trust in the American people to get it right in the end.”

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Uncle Sam

The American people are smarter than the McCain detractors would have you believe. Americans of all political stripes recognize greatness when they see it. Sometimes you do not fully appreciate the worth of a candidate until you see the alternative.

Americans for McCain '08

April 14, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  2. anti-war voter in San Jose, CA

To the Media: What's in it for McCain to praise the press? That seems very past-generational. I am the same age as McCain but I view him as completely OUT OF TOUCH with the needs of Americans. I will not vote for him in the General Election, even though I find Hillary Clinton's lack of honesty and integrity do not fit with being Presidential in our democratic society. Obama can beat John McCain.!!

April 14, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. Paris

I wish all candidates were as open as John McCain is.
    John McCain has nothing to hide and he is very comfortable with who he is.
    He is real and that is why he has no fear to be with reports.
    It was reported that he is the most accessible candidate.

John McCain 08.

April 14, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. Paris

I wish all candidates were as open as John McCain is.
    John McCain has nothing to hide and he is very comfortable with who he is.
    He is real and that is why he has no fear to be with reports.
    It was reported that he is the most accessible candidate.

John McCain 08.

April 14, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  5. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

OBAMA NEEDS TO BE A MAN FOR ONCE!!!!!!!!

I THINK THAT HE IS A WIMP!!!!!!!

HILLARY DOES NOT TELL HIM WHAT TO SAY TO PEOPLE!!!!!

HE DID THAT ON HIS OWN!!!!!!!!

HE IS A SNOB WHO CANNOT ADMIT HE WAS OUT OF TOUCH AND WRONG!!!!!!!!

I REALLY DISLIKE THIS UNTRUSTWORTHY MAN!!!!!!

VOTE FOR HILLARY!!!!!!!!! CLINTON/EDWARDS 2009!!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. Betty

I'm not sure why they (media) keep referring to Obama's comments as "the bitter comment" when it was so much more. He went on to say that because people are frustrated is why they have anti immigration and anti trade views. He seems to have a pattern of saying or doing things that are offensive to someone. Examples: "typical white women" , "punished with a baby", and so on. Further more saying that Clinton is being "political", well duh.

April 14, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  7. Julius - Canada

CNN seems to say Haleluya, Amen to any false claims or accusations. Where is the investigative journalism in this campaign season? Aren't Americans who have lost their jobs to globalisation etc, frustrated? Does the media believe that either Hillary Clinton or John McCain is going to bring back those lost jobs to rural America? The role of the media is t o present the facts and not simple bless the sweet promises made by the presidential candidates.
    It is time the truth is honoured in our society and not unfulfillable promises.

April 14, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Ig

Is this guy still in the race? I forgot all about him.

April 14, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  9. Typical White Person

wow..Obama's cult has gone crazy! Read these comments.

April 14, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  10. Tampa

Old guys running for president are so 4 years ago..

Obama Baby!

April 14, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  11. Keith, GA

In the decade I've had a chance to form my opinion as a voter I've learned enough about McCain. I didn't need 24 hour coverage to realize that McCain is not a conservative.

April 14, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. CB

How can anyone vote for McCain when his on party don't want him?

April 14, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  13. Brown

I do respect McCain because he doesn't use gutter politics to get his point across unlike Hillary. Hillary has stepped on Obama every time he makes a mistake. Did any one hear Obama talking about Bill and Hillary lies. Let's be real. That last two presidents that were liars were almosted impeached (Bill and Nixon). Hillary is ready on day one to continue the lie legacy.

April 14, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  14. Venus

We're be watching you! Every move you make!

April 14, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  15. Richard

McCain is a coward. He wouldnt go on cnn to discuss faith anf politics. Hes a cold hearted war mongerer thats why...

THE PRESS BETTER START ASKING HIM WHY WONT HE SIGN THE NEW GI BILL.. ??

April 14, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  16. Newman

If you Hillary and McCain people doom my country, I'm moving to Australia! God have mercy on your souls if you doom this country!

April 14, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  17. Frank

I am still voting for Ron Paul AND avote for the Constitution, Integrity Freedom...not this ridiculous example of a campaign that is going on.

April 14, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  18. Uncle Sam

When it comes to faith and values, John McCain's actions speak for themselves.

Americans for McCain '08

April 14, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  19. Ratgurl

Of course he'll take his chances with the media... it's FREE! He has no money to pay for his own ads!

April 14, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |