April 14th, 2008

New Clinton ad: Obama is 'out of touch'

CNN

Watch Sen. Clinton's new ad, "Pennsylvania."

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton’s campaign released a tough new ad Monday that features the reactions of some of her Pennsylvania supporters who say they were “insulted” by Barack Obama’s controversial recent comments about some small-town Americans.

The 30-second spot – which echoes several days of similar criticism from Clinton and her campaign - features a diverse group of voters reacting to Obama’s comments a week ago that some of the state’s residents were “bitter” and turning to guns and religion because of economic pressures.

Full script follows:

Woman 1: I was very insulted by Barack Obama.

Man 1: It just shows how out of touch Barack Obama is.

Woman 2: I'm not clinging to my faith out of frustration and bitterness. I find that my faith is very uplifting.

Man 2: The good people of Pennsylvania deserve a lot better than what Barack Obama said.

Woman 1: Hillary does understand the citizens of Pennsylvania better.

Woman 3: Hillary Clinton has been fighting for people like us her whole life.

Filed under: Ads • Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. DWC

Take the darn "Leave your comment" down if you are automatically deleting comments against your candidate Obama! You guys are so obvious. MSM needs investigated after this election for electioneering or something! Talk about trying to influence votes!!!

April 14, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  2. Diane

I did not see all of the faith and religion interview last night. I know that Obama was asked about Rev. Wright and the 'bitterness" comment. And I was pleased with his answers. Did anyone ask Hillary what her religion's teachings are regarding lying (or should I say "misstatements") ie Bosnia sniper fire etc? In the beginning of this campaign I was torn between Barach and Hillary. No longer. I am discusted with how Hillary has run her campaign. I pray that this country knows that nastiness does not indicate strength. I don't feel she can be trusted. I am, perhaps, not what the media has described as the typical Obama supporter. I am a 60 year old white female. I would be thrilled to vote for a woman president. Just not this woman.

April 14, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  3. John Smith

How can America return an "impeached family" to the White House?

Hillary knows that the numbers are against her; but like any Clinton, she is sinking the party with her. Is this not why this "woman" is the most hated person next to Osama Ben L? Why can't her supporters see the damage Hillary is doing to the party and this nation?

Well, with $109 million, when this is all over, I hope Hillary will come around to pay your bills?

Hillary simply does not have the Numbers to win this nomination; it's too late!

April 14, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  4. Sean

John: If you're not bitter, then obviously he wasn't talking about you! Why do you try to get insulted when it doesn't apply?

April 14, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  5. Paul

Do you think those were actual interviews or scripted responses?

What is Obama being accused of being out of touch with? The overwhelming positivity coming out of rural PA? The unimitgated happiness of having lost jobs to Clinton's NAFTA? The sunny embrace of a new economic downturn?

Obama diagnosed rural PA as "bitter" in response to his difficulty in selling a message of hope. If there isn't a lot of hope in rural PA, then he got it right. When people have a history of being looked over, they tend to be skeptical of promise–thus Obama's obstacle in PA.

April 14, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  6. America For Americans

I'm just curious as to how both senator's Clinton and Obama are not B\both equally electable. I mean I read these statements and people are claiming that Senator Obama is not electable; what exactly does that mean. Senator Obama is up 700,000 popular votes, he has 150 more delegates, and more than ten states won. Also, let’s not forget the Senator has raised 3x as much money over the internet from private donors than both Senator's Clinton and McCain. Consequently, can anyone explain why he is intrinsically "un-Electable?" Or is this just a cute buzzword people or using to try to make a silly argument for the candidate they support. Oh and by the way the republican machine will try to dismantle both candidates?

April 14, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  7. nikki

the add is ridiculous...HRC supporters are blind! how in the world can a person makes $109 million dollars be intouch with the average american...please wake up...bill & hill received an $800,000.00 payday from Columbia (the country people not the university)....

WAKE UP!!! for goodness sakes if you don't support Obama ok, but at least take the blinders off!!!!!!! or are all of you running from sniper fire in Bosnia

Obama 08'

April 14, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  8. diane

What did you promise them this time Hillary?
    It won't work. It will come back to haunt you. Think about it.

April 14, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  9. Linda

She has too much negative and divisive energy !!!!!

April 14, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  10. gerry

I think the one out of touch is the one still ducking all that sniper fire.

The one out of touch is the one, who's husband, campaign manager and communications manager all got paid for a trade deal which affects American jobs.

The one out of touch here, is the one who refuses to release lists for the presidential library and charity donators.

The one out of touch here, is the one answering that phone call at 3.00 AM and says " Monica would you send Bill home now."

The one out of touch here, along with her husband has now received over 1/2 billion in donations to their charity and presidential libray.

April 14, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  11. Stop Stirring The Cauldron Hillary

Oh good gracious. Would someone throw water on this maniacal power obssessed witch so she can melt and the rest of the people we actually care can get on with saving the country she has no respect for let alone it's citizens?

April 14, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  12. MK

If I were choosing a way to lose half of my potential Democratic votes in November to beat McCain, Hillary, this would be at the top of the list. Pennsylvania, make your vote count – Don't get taken.

April 14, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  13. David in Shawnee

Congratulations Hillary – you just caused me to commit to donating to your next opponent – unless of course you admit that representing NY is a sham and give up after you lose. Shame, Shame, Shame

April 14, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  14. Wilson, NY

How can Hillary understand the people in PA when her husband is part of the reason why most of them lost there jobs..pushing NAFTA and supporting NAFTA. Wake up people, Hillary claim is the one who made over $109 Million since Bill left the white house. Whose top Adviser's pushing the Columbia Trade and Her husband made $800K for support the same trade..Yet she saying she disagree with her husband..prentending as if Bill did not share $800K with her.

April 14, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  15. John G, New York, NY

I was actually undecided between Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama (I voted for Edwards in the NY primaries) until this past week. Senator Clinton has sunk to unfathomable depths to use the same sort of Swift Boat-type twisting of words of Senator Obama.

I anticipate he will weather this attack and go on to win the nomination. However, if Senator Clinton has inflicted irreparable damage to his candidacy to effectively squander the White House for the Democrats in 2008, I will be the first in line to campaign to get her ousted from her senate seat in 2012.

April 14, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  16. obama08

oh my god she is the last one who should be talking about being out of tough shes amillionarie how can she know how we are felling

April 14, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  17. Ken Murray

Hillery has little positive things to say lately, her campaign is falling apart with all her LIES.

Now she down to her last chance which is to goe Negative and if they
    gave her awards for spin, Hillary and Bill would have shelves full of them.
    She spins so much that Barack is being criticized by some for things he never actually said.

April 14, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  18. mndharmas

elitist or entitled? Hillary what color are thou?

April 14, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  19. republican laughing

I cant believe the levels you democrats will stoop to. At the beginning we had no chance to win election but now because of all the antics I believe we can pull it off. I personally liked huckabee but when he was done and it was obvious he couldnt win we united under mcain. Im glad you democrats are to stubborn and divided to unite under the candidate who is obviously going to win like him or not.
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. GO HILLARY IN PA
    LOL
    GO MCAIN IN NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  20. Now for Obama

When Obama hits her back, Hill supporters will say that he is not playing fair and will call him things like arrogant and a misogynistic snob. Hillary should never start something that she can't finish :)

April 14, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  21. leon PA

If Obama do not win Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania "s or stuid.

April 14, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  22. Barbara Roberts

Obama is a spoiled coward that has no spine he cries when anyone says anything againest him and blames Clinton even when he opens his big mouth and blunders. I WILL NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA EVEN IF I HAVE TO VOTE REPUBLICAN ANYONE WOULD BE BETTER THEN OBAMA. GO CLINTON 08

April 14, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  23. Linlo

This ad is really lame. The people don't even sound sincere – are they REALLY from PA? I have talked to lots of people in Pennsylvania, and no one thinks this is even an issue, in fact they said Obama was right on in his comments. Hillary continues to attack him over and over about everything like a scolding mother, then when someone calls HER on one of her lies, she plays the victim and says "Oh poor little me, everyone attacks me, the media is so unfair." I am SO fed up with this phony.

April 14, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  24. hope there is still time

Worse than out of touch...

He is as filled with hatred of fellow Americans as his pastor Wright.

How can he be so mocking and belittling and arrogant and miss the fact that he is being holier than thou?

How can he miss that he swaggers and brags and is full of himself?

Hillary we are with you and only you.

April 14, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  25. Karlie

This is a really nasty, below-the-belt ad. I no longer have any respect for Hillary. Hard to believe I once did.

April 14, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |