April 14th, 2008

Obama confronts another 'Obama-Osama' stumble

CNN

Watch the mix up Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – It’s an unfortunate verbal stumble that’s plagued politicians, pundits and journalists - including CNN - this campaign season: the sound-alike names of the world’s most-wanted terrorist and the leading contender for the Democratic nomination.

Monday, the top executive of The Associated Press was the latest to make the slip. Dean Singleton was addressing a question to Sen. Barack Obama about the strategy he might use in a part of the world where many believe Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is still based.

“…Can you imagine shifting a substantial number [of troops] of Afghanistan - a substantial number to Afghanistan where the Taliban has been gaining strength and Obama Bin Laden is still at large?” Singleton asked the Illinois senator at The Associated Press annual meeting.

Obama himself corrected him, to the delight of the crowd. “I think that was Osama Bin Laden,” he said.

Singleton apologized for the gaffe, but Obama said the correction was becoming habit by now: “This is part of the exercise I've been going through over the last 15 months - which is why it's pretty impressive I'm still standing here.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ovitshio Branco

Shame on you Singleton and how some who is for long Journalist

can bring stupidity like this one, Well and Good Educated White

support Obama and the Stupid and the racists one not

Wake up America if you want to go Forward

April 14, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  2. Darth Vadik, CA

I used to be a Democrat,

I am so glad you are not a Democrat any more.

April 14, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. carmen

Hil_LIAR_y, I mispell her name all the time by accident.

April 14, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. SayNoToHillaryBillaryCheslaryClintrous

So what you call this news wolf what are you trying to cook her. You a very disgusting and sick person I ever seen in my life.

April 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  5. Darth Vadik, CA

Obama SPIN KING,

are you implying that being a muslim is a bad thing?

April 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  6. Meredith

You Clinton supporters ASTOUND me constantly.

"Obama has muslim roots... why doesn't he admit it?"

During childhood, his mother had him attend a muslim school for two years and a catholic school for two years.

What more is there for him to admit?

April 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. dorothy

This is old new, the direct and indirect Test that Barack Obama, is experiencing, but I guess it like Hillary Clinton, with the BOSNIA, SNIPER FIRING-OOP'S, Plus the continual support with the News Media constant Rhetoric, before the Public. It is Sad That Hillary Clinton, does not get the same Attention, when she LIED, but I forgot it was a misstatement, because she was tired and even Bill Clinton try to help, it only made Matters Worse. It is like the children's Story on Lieing, the more the boy LIED, the Bigger his Nose got, and Every One Could SEE THE TRUTH!

Dorothy
    OK

April 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. gerard morei

New pool in PA show Clinton ahead 20% for april 22nd.
    New pool in Indiana show Clinton ahead 17%
    New pool in NC show Obama ahead 12 %

April 14, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  9. Matt

A clever distraction by the Obama campaign. Get someone in the pro-Obama media to make an Obama-Osama gaffe, have Obama whine that it's standard practice, he's still the underdog, blah, blah, blah, and try to distract from Obama's elitist remarks regarding rural Americans by orchestrating a grand speech. The voters see through you Obama.

April 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. Roger

I don't see anything wrong with what he said.

April 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. Emma

Wake up citizens in Pennsylvania. Four years from November, do you want to wake up to $6.00 a gallon gasoline, more jobs overseas and more families facing foreclosure? How many of you will admit that you voted for John McCain when you end up trying to feed a family of four on a family of three budget? You have an opportunity to speak up, please use your vote wisely.

Senator Clinton and McCain represent the status quo. Do you want change you can believe in? I do.

I can't afford four more years of the same kind of politics. I will be bankrupt!

April 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  12. Susan S. Stephens

Just tell Barack that my 86 year old, virulently Republican mother, is proudly announcing to everyone she is voting Democrat for the first time in her life..She thinks Barack Obama is just what this country needs!
    PS She lives in a small town in Washington state with a horrendous level of unemployment and very bitter citizens.

April 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  13. Beny

I am a Canadian who likes American Politics but now I am kind of fed up b/c race and gender became an issue please wake up my fellow Americans and vote for the person who can take you out of recession and create more jobs and stability to your economy.

Proud Canadian(originally from Africa)

(please CNN post my comment)

April 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  14. SayNoToHillaryBillaryCheslaryClintrous

This people make a statement like this purposely and make it like a news to decive and creat fear that is sick and disgusting. the the stupid media goes and exaggrate the statement.

April 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  15. akaDoug

I can't figure out if the Hillary people are angry, stupid or just racists...who knows maybe all 3. Whatever the case it's pathetic that the only way to build up your candidate is to tear the other one down! But so be it, Hillary has chosen her path and after all this is the kind of hate and divisiveness that the Clintons seem to thrive on!

April 14, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  16. RNY

YOU PEOPLE SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD, IF HE IS THE PRESIDENT HE IS NOT GOING TO COMMIT ANY MISTAKES. WOW! THE INCREDIBLE OBAMA. LOL

April 14, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  17. hello

OBAMA IS NOT EVEN AMERICAN I DONT KNOW HOW YOU PEOPLE THINK HE SHOULD BE THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. IT IS RIDICULOUS

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. carl

This guy is the real deal. You go Mr. President

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  19. Ridgeway

Osama or Obama? What's the difference their goals are the same. Ruin America.

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  20. @americans

I like Obama! Very smart and quick witted; caught that 'stumble' right on it's track and made the correction immediately!

I applaud Obama for actually listening to questions from reporters and voters and responding appropriately, unlike the 'scum' Billary who is very devisive and throwing dirt at any opportunity she gets!!!

OBAMA '08!!!

April 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. Rita Miller

For people who are supposed to at least a little bit intelligent, I find it hard to believe it's only a slip of the tongue. More likely, they aren't intelligent, just stupid and ignorant.

April 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  22. Emma

Senator Obama gently corrected the questioner who used in name incorrectly. He realized that the questioner misspoke and he gently made the correction.

How heartless is Senator Clinton? She misspoke regarding her trip to Bosnia as First Lady. Maybe Senator Obama should have an add asking Senator Clinton why she can't give him the benefit of an error and move on. Perhaps we should add her running from gunfire on YouTube and play it over and over and over and over and over again!

Talk about real issues!

April 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  23. jd

Obama you are Gracious and Dignified. You will win. Obama/08

April 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. Steve, New York, New York

It is hard to believe that people are so hung-up on the name thing . . . though this comment makes me suspicious . . . .was this guy one of the face-less donors to the Clinton's HALF BILLION DOLLAR LIBRARY??

Who is the elitist? Come on – wake up, people!

April 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  25. Billy Turner

I took Sociology 101, and what Obama said is taught at every major university. It is true that, during those trying times in our lives, we do, in fact, cling to our religion and other sustaining supports to see us through. I now understand more fully, 'Much Ado About nothing!" Ensuing, the media is making more of the "bitter" comment than they did about Clinton's Bosnia "snipper" lie! She told the lie on three different occasions. While I'm at it: Not only am I sick and tired of this back and forth between Obama and Clinton, I am also tired of hearing Obama needs: The white women's vote; the white men's vote, the hispanic vote; the Catholic vote. When is enough enough?

April 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |