April 14th, 2008

Obama confronts another 'Obama-Osama' stumble

CNN

Watch the mix up Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – It’s an unfortunate verbal stumble that’s plagued politicians, pundits and journalists - including CNN - this campaign season: the sound-alike names of the world’s most-wanted terrorist and the leading contender for the Democratic nomination.

Monday, the top executive of The Associated Press was the latest to make the slip. Dean Singleton was addressing a question to Sen. Barack Obama about the strategy he might use in a part of the world where many believe Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is still based.

“…Can you imagine shifting a substantial number [of troops] of Afghanistan - a substantial number to Afghanistan where the Taliban has been gaining strength and Obama Bin Laden is still at large?” Singleton asked the Illinois senator at The Associated Press annual meeting.

Obama himself corrected him, to the delight of the crowd. “I think that was Osama Bin Laden,” he said.

Singleton apologized for the gaffe, but Obama said the correction was becoming habit by now: “This is part of the exercise I've been going through over the last 15 months - which is why it's pretty impressive I'm still standing here.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. kw50

TO: I used to be a Democrat April 14th, 2008 3:54 pm ET
    _______________________________________________
    Then you're insane, so hold on to your dentures. You will see President Barack Obama in the oval office, taking care of this country they way Bush/Clinton/Bush didn't. When he cleans up the mess they left, I'm sure you will give him the accolades that's due.

Thank you, case closed.

April 14, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. David Outlaw

If I was Obama I would bring up what her so called beloved husband Bill did while he was in the white house as President and his affair with Monica Lewisky and constantly lying about it, to all of us in this great country and more especially his wife and daughter. The only way I would vote for her is if she would drop Bill like a hot potato, cause the white house is our property and is most sacred. Plus he used the governor's mansion to have an affair with jennifer Flowers and then he used the white house. Makes me wander if she got in what would keep him from doing it again. SO LETS KEEP THE WHITE HOUSE SACRED AND LETS VOTE FOR OBAMA. And I thank you.

April 14, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  3. Marie H.

Sounds right to me. His true colors are finally coming through. Comment may be closer to right then is being imagined by the Obamites???? Go Hillary. We know who you are-–we sure do not know enough about this Obama guy. BUT we are learning!!!!! And it stinks!!!!!! Hillary for President!!!!

April 14, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  4. Andy

He made a mistake. Leave the poor man alone. Non-issue.

April 14, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  5. tc

That was funny but handled very well! Everyone should try to express love instead of hate and maybe this world will start to turn the corner!

Love thy brother & sister!

April 14, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  6. TJ IN LA

THIS MAN HAS THE HEART OF A BLIND GUNFIGHTER!
    Barack Obama has had to put up with enough crap for the last 15 months for 4 Presidencies. He has done it with Grace and Dignity.
    He has shown America what a REAL leader looks like.
    I am PROUD of him and his wife Michelle.
    When I look at the nasty, hateful,slimy remarks made by the cowards hiding behind the keyboard, I regret that they too will be saved by President Obama's policies. Some of these "bloggers, pundits and posters" would do well to get some fresh air and see what REAL citizens of a Democracy think. I have seen some of the most vile inhuman things written by these cowards about two very decent people they don't even know. I am ashamed for our country when people read this filth. And you know who you are...you should be ashamed for writing it.

April 14, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  7. Tom Z

Karl Marx once said that "religion is the opiate of the people." Barack Obama just rephrased it by adding guns, etc.

April 14, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  8. Karlie

Some of you actually believe that Nostradamus stuff???? Forget any reasonable discussion then. It's not possible.

April 14, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  9. Jay

He was correct, they are about the same.

April 14, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  10. SS

That guy is an idiot!

April 14, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  11. SS

Somewhat of a Freudian slip if you ask me...

April 14, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  12. merle 7

I am an AA female and after reading a lot of these blogs I am not very proud of my country right now, I can truly say Iam bitter. I can only pray to my God that he indeed bless this nation.

April 14, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  13. John

The Obamanites are vehement in their support of Obama. Anyone who doesn't share their views are labeled traitors or fools. This is very disturbing to me – it seems that Obama has a cult following, not loyal citizens.

April 14, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  14. Newman

I can see his problem, I say Hitlery all the time too. Must be my subconcious. O B A M A F O R P R E S I D E N T !!!

April 14, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  15. INDY PENDENT

Get over it people.
    It is a very common mistake for people to call you the wrong name.
    Good laws.
    Or maybe the reporter is a racist like Osa... I mean Obama wants to think.

April 14, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  16. mili vanili

Let's not fall for the okee-dokee, and let Hilly Lieton off the hook for her Bosnia Sniper fire Lie like she wants us to do. She is still accountable for her lies. I see a pattern here every time a primary comes up she is on a what obama said crusade. Always a couple of days before the primary she is leading a don't think about what I said, think about what he said mission.

April 14, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  17. Misty

This is for "I used to be a democrat": I am glad you are not a democrat-because you are a racist bitter individual

April 14, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  18. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

ALL THESE OBAMA SUPPORTERS NEED TO GO TO DETOX!!!!

WAKE UP!

HE IS DONE!!!

WHO DID IT?

HE DID WITH HIS STUPID MOUTH!!!!!

GO BE A PREACHER SOMEWHERE!!!!!!

JUST GET OUT OF THE RACE!!!!!

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  19. lil

Cynthia Rapak I agree with you. And after listening to lou Dobbs
    today I kind of think he want to say it too.

April 14, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  20. Dan

To the writer who says "who cares, Obama has muslim roots, admit it" He has never denied his father was a muslim, he had denied that he is. My grandfather is a lutheran, my grandmother an episcopal. My parents were raised in both churches, but I am a proud bapist. I think people can make religious decisions in this country without excuse. Get over it. Apparently, you can't. Maybe you'll be happy with Goldwater girl, Hillary.

April 14, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  21. Ziggy

Ronald Reagan once said about Third World countries ruled by cruel dictaors that "people deserve the leaders they get". I guess that, looking at all that's going on today in American politics, in a country in recession, when people have been lied to over and over again by the same governments that got them in this situation in the first place, and nothing ever changes, I guess we can say that we Americans deserve the type of government that has been in Washington and has made us "bitter" and "frustrated". And the problem is that we still don't know that we are bitter and frustrated.

April 14, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  22. Jack

Sen. OBama: you've badly damaged your chances in Nov...... please step aside for the good of the party

April 14, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  23. for fair politics

YES, keep white House SACRED.

Many people may have forgotten 911, but NOT all.

Americans : do not let anyone go near White House who sympathizes with 911 culprits.

Take a note you all elites and liberals.

April 14, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  24. annie

Sometimes people accidentally speak the truth. Osama, Obama, anti-christ – they sorta look like one in the same.

April 14, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  25. whoosh

Hey, Used to Be a Democrat! I'm glad your racist butt is no longer polluting the Democratic Party!

April 14, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |