April 14th, 2008

Obama lashes out at Clinton over her response to 'bitter' remarks

ALT TEXT

Obama: Shame on Clinton. (Photo credit: AP)

STEELTON, Pennsylvania (CNN) – A visibly agitated Barack Obama accused Hillary Clinton Sunday of acting like "Annie Oakley ...packin’ a six shooter” in her attempts to connect with gun owners, and used some of his most heated language to date to attack her and her campaign for their reaction to his comments from a now infamous California fundraiser.

"Shame on her," he told a Steelton crowd.

"I expected this out of John McCain," Obama said in a decibel higher than his every day stump tone. "But I've gotta say, I'm a little disappointed when I start hearing the exact same talking points coming out of my Democratic colleague Hillary Clinton. She knows better. Shame on her."

At a closed-press event one week ago, Obama referred to some small-town Pennsylvanians as "bitter" people who "cling to guns and religion."

Clinton has since called him "out of touch" and said the Illinois senator's remarks were "demeaning" and "elitist."

Obama fired back in a room of supporters at a Pennsylvania union hall.

"She's running around talking about how this is an insult to sportsmen, how she values the Second Amendment," he said, his voice rising. "She's talking like she's Annie Oakley! Hillary Clinton's out there like she's on the duck blind every Sunday, [like] she's packin' a six shooter! C'mon! She knows better."

"That's some politics being played by Hillary Clinton," he added. "When Hillary Clinton says I'm out of touch I just have to remind people of the track record." He then went on to attack her for "campaigning for NAFTA" for "a decade" during her husband's administration.

"This is the same person who says she's voting for the Colombia trade deal. [It] turns out that her top adviser, her top strategist was working for the Colombian government to get the bill passed!"

"Who do you think is out of touch?" he shouted. The room erupted with people shouting Clinton's name. One supporter yelled, "'What's her name' is!"

Obama's comments came just a short time after the two Democratic opponents shared a tarmac as they landed in Harrisburg and exited their planes almost simultaneously and only minutes before the pair were to take part in CNN's Compassion Forum.

– CNN Political Producer Chris Welch

1. gina

Oh, get a grip people! If saying "Shame on you" is bitter then Hillary was bitter a few months ago when she said it to Barack on the stump. All we have at this point is disecting what each candidate has to say and it is not a representation of any of them. Hyping this stuff is just bowing and praising the media for blowing it up. We are following right along like sheep. Remember the reason you are voting for someone and why you liked them to begin with. Search you heart instead of the web and then make your decision. If you like Hillary then great, cast your vote with pride. If you like Obama, vote for him and feel great about it. Stop the mud slinging and in the end your vote will represent that you are "for" someone instead of "against" the other. For myself, I am for Obama and I feel great about it!

Gina

April 14, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  2. Wendy

SHAME ON YOU OBAMA! You are a fake!!! Whenever you are up against a wall you come out fighting like a spoiled t0 year. Shame on you??? You need to think about what you say before youu say it! I grew up in a small town and I can tell you you have offended many people, not just the people of Pennsylvannia!

April 14, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  3. Gezahegn

Someone makes a mistake in a hurry – why he is in a hurry and why he uses faulty language – is questionable. But what is more questionable is why should he try to his missiles on the wrong direction. Hillary has no reason to be blamed.

April 14, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  4. Anonymous

It's sad to see folks getting on Obama's case for defending himself. Hillary continuously picks at some very small details in Obama's campaign, and tries to turn them into huge issues. Then, when Obama calls her out on it, the Hillary supporters are saying things like "Looks like HE'S the bitter one...."

Well, wouldn't you be a little bitter, and inclined to defend yourself and your words if someone completely re-interpreted your words, just to benefit themselves...when the entire time, they knew better, and knew exactly what they were doing? She's no idiot. But neither is the American public. If she thinks these tactics aren't transparent to a good many people, she's quite wrong. And for those supporters that choose to go along with it....shame on you, too.

April 14, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  5. Pam

P.S. Here comes the bathroom sink, toilet and everything in it, don't fall for it America!!

April 14, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  6. NC Primary MY TURN!

Imagine this: BILL CLINTON BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE WITH NOTHING TO DO!

April 14, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  7. mary

I hope the Pennsylvania voters will send a resounding message to Obama: your self-serving condescending attitude in front of a bunch of San Francisco millionaires will not be tolerated. People in San Francisco do think that the rest of the country is a bunch of uneducated morons who just follow religion and don't think for themselves. Obama was just winking and saying: "I agree, and I need more of your money to bamboozle those morons." He didn't know that it would all come out. Send this sleaze back to Illinois, remaining voting states!

April 14, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  8. Mark

Fool me once Clinton, but not twice. Hillary's husband enacted some of the most fascist gun control I've ever seen in my lifetime. To think that she is any different is to be naive. Having her criticize anyone on anything gun related is absurd. As for her religious creditability, I'm sure if you asked for her opinion on Corinthians, her comment would be "Don't we have a military base there?"

April 14, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  9. Kelley

I originally started out thinking for sure I'd vote for Hillary. But I have seen a side of Hillary that I don't like at all. I'm from Pittsburgh, that city is a beautiful place and I pray that things turn around there. There is no youth there anymore, people my age (30's) don't stay there anymore...there is nothing there. I, for one, agreed w/ Obama. He hit the nail on the head. People are bitter...promises have been made and not kept for so long. He told the truth and she's trying sugarcoat it.
    It's sad to see what is happening in PA, hell, all across the country...
    Obama is the only one in this campaign who has been real...

April 14, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |