April 14th, 2008

Obama mocks Clinton 'throwing back a shot and a beer'

CNN

Watch Obama's comments Monday.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) - Barack Obama furthered his recent criticisms of Hillary Clinton Monday by mocking the fact that she recently "threw back a shot and a beer" in front of the media.

After first saying too many candidates are only giving voters "rhetoric," the Illinois senator said, "They'll promise you anything. They'll even give you a long list of proposals. They'll even come around with TV crews in tow and throw back a shot and a beer."

The shot came Saturday at Bronko’s Restaurant in Crown Point, Indiana. With the national media in tow, Clinton made a stop there to drink a beer and speak with voters. After ordering her beer the bartender asked, “You want a shot with that Hillary?” After some deliberation, Clinton settled on a shot of Crown Royal, a Canadian whiskey.

But Obama is not totally in the clear himself when it comes to photo-ops at bars. The White House hopeful nursed a beer in front of cameras with Pennsylvania senator Bob Casey at a sports bar during his Pennsylvania bus tour on March 28. He has since mentioned that moment of drinking in front of audiences on the trail in the Keystone State.

Responding to Obama's comments, Clinton spokesman Phil Singer said, "With all due respect, this is the same politician who spent six days posing for clichéd camera shots that included bowling gutterballs, walking around a sports bar, feeding a baby cow, and buying a ham at the Philly market (albeit one that cost $99.99 a pound). Sen. Obama's speeches won’t hide his condescending views of Americans living in small towns.”

Clinton has been hitting Obama hard over his recent comments saying decades of lost jobs and unfulfilled promises from Washington have left some Pennsylvanians "bitter" and clinging "to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

On Sunday, Clinton called the comments "elitist, out of touch and frankly, patronizing," and added, "You know, the Democratic Party, to be very blunt about it, has been viewed as a party that didn't understand and respect the values and the way of life of so many of our fellow Americans."

1. Fav

You are utterly pathetic Obama! You have no rhetoric left to get back at Clinton for her criticism of the stupid things you've been saying lately!
    So you stoop this low to get back at her??

You know, I'm not surprised!

HILLARY 08 & 12

April 14, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  2. Brenda

Hillary only wants to put on a show. She relishes attention and the media is making sure she gets all she needs. As stated in the movie "The Negotiator", "I Wonder Why?"

April 14, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  3. james Pa

The 'two-fer' Clintons are pathetic liars.
    They cannot tell the "truth from fantasy."
    Hillary lies and Bill believes it

April 14, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. Texan

Oh Bama , what a "double standard" ?

Now, he is gonna attack Cindy McCains' affiliations.

He should better be back in court baracks.

April 14, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  5. Josh M

What a joke! This is the best you got?? ... I wish I could take my vote back.

Hillary '08

April 14, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  6. Anonymous

Where is the story here?

April 14, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  7. Orlando from Ohio

Can any one tell me why we are not hearing anything about the Peter Paul vs Clinton Case Thats about to take place In Cali? Why isn't The News talking about That? If their were any candidate going threw a court deal like this their run for president would be over.

April 14, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  8. Steven

Obama is falling apart...he's attacking Hillary for having a drink with media people. What next? And at least she has proposals Obama, you just say we need to fix this, we need to fix this.

April 14, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  9. Rich

Where is the story here? How does this further any discussion?

April 14, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  10. Moombay

Clearly America needs to wake up and realize that Hillary Clinton is the choice for President of the United States. The more I see of B. Obama the more I'm convinced that "the emperor has no clothes".

April 14, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  11. Veterans for Obama

Go barack!

April 14, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  12. James Lowe

All I keep hearing about from the People who support Obama is, "Change, We can believe in".....Why don't all of these angry Obama supporters who claim to be all about Change and Hope, Quit acting and speaking like mindless morons everyday about the other candidates....They are so PHONY....

April 14, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  13. jill american

This is change Obama?

It is only OK for you to do photo ops (you went bowling first).

You said you would have fired Penn but you didn't leave your church?

Your arrogance is showing Mr OBush!

April 14, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  14. Ryan, Champlin MN

How can you earn over a $$ HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS $$ in less than a decade and not be an elitist! Does anybody really think in their heart of hearts that the Clinton's give a rip about us little people? Please!

April 14, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  15. Eric

She is our only special interest real hope!

April 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  16. JUDE CT

I don't see anything wrong with Hillary taking a shot and drinking a beer. However, she should remain sober and wait until Barack Obama's swearing in ceremony, into the White house!

April 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  17. Sharon

What bothers me about Hillary is she is taking a page right out of the Republican playbook. Tackle your differences; fine, but to claim he is an elitist because he made the honest point that good people are angry and bitter because the American dream has dried up for them and their towns is dishonest at best. Drinking a shot of whiskey is an act just like George Bush eating pork rinds. It means absoultely nothing. The media's obsession with window dressing is pathetic.

April 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  18. Jeff

Obama can do a line of blow for the media to one up her.

April 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  19. Alex H

Simon Jinx – The problem is, Hillary came out, I believe it was around the DC primary and said "the American people don't need promises... and as President of the United States I promise [insert relevant issue of the day]!!!"

April 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  20. Toot

I think he is trying any and everything to pull anyone down. Sen Clinton was having fun and it is good to see her relax and enjoy the media. Grow up Obama!!
    No different from you smoking???

April 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  21. Margo

Well, you got to be kidding me obama. . What the hell is the big deal, so what! I saw you do the same thing. I cant believe you would waste the campaign money from your supporters to talk about beer, lol, what a joke!!!

April 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  22. NC4Obama

Since it seems that many are saying Obama was wrong about people being bitter then I suggest we send some more jobs overseas.....I mean it doesn't bother anybody so why not.........

April 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  23. For Obama

I am sure any canidate for President has had beer and shots before but I do believe doing it intentionally in front of cameras for publicity is a bit much. It shows lack of professionalism. If they do it on their time and cameras catch them that is different. Seems Hillary drinks alot, the plane with Media, then the beer and shot. It seems it shows alot of unprofessionalism if you ask me.

April 14, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  24. craig

Just look at what Hillary is doing.... She's making Obama's point.... He basically said that people will cling to issues like guns and religion when they don't feel that voting on economic issues will make any difference. And now Hillary hoping voters in PA will do exactly that... turning peoples attention toward the second amendment? The second amendment is not an issue and isn't going anywhere... she brings this argument just after they were found to be making $800,000 from pushing the Columbia Trade Deal? Sure she said she is against it, but Her joint account with her husband will still benefit. She's hoping to distract us "small town" folks just long enough to eek out a win. She's a fighter alright.. like a pitbull with the taste of blood in her mouth. Diversion it's what the Clinton's have always been good at.

April 14, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. astein1

I guess I'm in a minority that doesn't see the term "elite" as an insult. If I'm sick, I want an elite doctor. If I'm investing my money, I want an elite broker. And if I'm in trouble with the law, I want an elite lawyer. Why is it that only in politics is it a bad thing to be elite. Look what happened the last 7 years when the leader in charge was not elite. He was an "average Joe" and where did that get us?

April 14, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |