April 14th, 2008

Pennsylvania crowd jeers Clinton attacks on Obama

CNN

Watch Clinton's comments Monday.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – On Monday, with the Pennsylvania primary just days away, Hillary Clinton continued to hammer Barack Obama over his comments that small town Americans "cling to guns or religion" because they are "bitter."

But the audience at a forum put on by the Alliance for American Manufacturing didn't appreciate her line of attack.

"I understand my opponent came this morning and spent a lot of his time attacking me," she said at the beginning of her remarks here.

Many in the crowd responded with audible groans, and a few shouted, "No!"

Obama spoke to the same forum earlier in the morning and ribbed Clinton for doing a shot of whiskey in front of TV cameras on Saturday in Indiana.

Clinton continued, "I know that many of you, like me, were disappointed by the recent remarks he made."

This time, a louder, sustained chorus of "No!" emanated from the audience. Clinton soldiered on.

"I am well aware that at a fundraiser in San Francisco he said some things that many people in Pennsylvania and beyond Pennsylvania have found offensive," she said.

This time, a smaller smattering of jeers.

It was only when Clinton concluded her opening remarks by attacking President Bush that she received a warm round of applause.

The Clinton campaign later said the disgruntled reaction to her remarks came from Obama supporters in attendance.

Several audience members told CNN after the speech they came to the forum to hear each candidate talk about trade issues, and were not interested in the political back-and-forth of the Democratic primary race.

When Clinton focused on policy and expounded on enforcing trade agreements, creating new jobs and standing up to China, she received some hearty ovations.

But despite Pittsburgh's working class reputation, it was at times a tough crowd for the New York senator.

As the question and answer session began, one man asked Clinton for assurances that American workers would not be "tricked" like they had been when her husband signed NAFTA in 1993.

A press release distributed to reporters by the Alliance for American Manufacturing calculated that Pennsylvania lost 44,173 jobs due to NAFTA between 1993 and 2004.

Clinton, who spent much of her speech attacking America's trade imbalance with China, responded by drawing a line in the sand between her policy positions and her husband's trade record.

"As smart as my husband is, he does make mistakes," Clinton quipped.

1. Frank (Ohio)

About time an audiance responded to her viscious attacks with a well deserved Jeer. I only wish I was there.

April 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  2. Dennis

CNN you are a joke.
    You have been promoting Obama and protecting him, you are almost as bad as MSMBC if that's possible.
    The truth is 91% of Black people are voting for Obama because he's Black and 44% of Whites are voting for him because thet think it's the right thing to do. All of these people have no idea about any of his accomplishments if any, pathetic.
    Everytime Obama says something controversial the Media covers it for him. If Clinton or McCaian said or did half the things Obama has they would be finished in politics.
    We have learned lots of things about Obama after Super Tuesday, I think the outcome would be a lot different.
    When I hear Obama and his Wife talk, they sound more and more like Pastor Wright.
    Is this the Person you want in the White House, I think not.
    I just hope the Super Delegates exercise the proper judgement.
    Obama is not electable, we will have 4 more years of Bush.

April 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  3. Clement Ogujiofor

This whole thing about economy being good in the Clinton years and they will repeat itself... when will people realize that this economic boom came from the technological revolution, namely the internet, not from any sitting president

April 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  4. Tim

Come on CNN Obama just spoke right before and he hammered Clinton I watched it and the Obama fan cheered him on look at the latest Penn polls that CNN mentioned this morning Clinton 58 to Obama 38 .Again bias coverage by news media !!!!

April 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

Get her the hell out of there!!!!!! Other countries are laughing at
    us again. Hillary is one of the most hated women in America.
    If I was Bill, I would have wanted a divorce in 1998, 1999, 2000,
    2008-2008. Hillary is about to lose EVERYTHING. She can't
    quit though, because she would be $20 Million in debt to her
    Campaign and she would have to pay from her and Bill's 109 M.
    the got from selling us down the river. She might just not pay
    the vendors that are trying hard to make end meet.
    "Bitter" feeling is not contained to just PA, IND AND S.C.. Bitter
    is not a bad word. If it was, we would be considered bad people
    for "feeling it"

April 14, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  6. Martha, TN

I really don't care about the 20% in PA, she's not up by 20% in the USA.

Barack, 08

April 14, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  7. Mimicking

barack is very clever he has america conthemplating electing him president? it will never happen? the american public can see right through his antic's reasons why (unpatriotic wife) (preacher that preaches hate toward white people)(bad business deals? but only if your caught ?like the land and the cheap house escapade there's a few but you get where i'm coming from go ahead america waste your vote it's your right.

April 14, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. Now for Obama

Of course she would say that it was Obama supporters! Hillary is so desperate and divisive!

No Hillary these are even your supporters who are tired of hearing you say Obama's name instead of sticking to the issues, you idiot

April 14, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. K. Dillard

. . . .NAFTA. . BOSNIA. . .JOB LOSS. . . .COLUMBIAN TRADE DEAL. . . . IMPEACHMENT . . .SCANDAL . . . .BITTER . . . . CHANGE.

Yes We Can.

April 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  10. John Smith,TX

OBAMA IS A LIAR AND UNTRUTHFUL POLITIAN. HE WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN THE NOMINATION. BUT OBAMA WILL LOOSE TO MCCAIN IN GENERAL ELECTION. THEY REGRET LETTING THEM FOOL BY OBAMA.

April 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  11. cindy, Washington DC

I grew up in Pittsburgh. I remember the days when you were some one big (in my poor blue collar neighborhood) if you were union AND you were lucky enough to work at the steelmills.

The people I grew up with ARE bitter. NAFTA screwed the economy there and Bill Clinton was the president who signed NAFTA into law. Yes the republicans love NAFTA, but Bill and Hillary (since you claim so much credit for being a co-president) are responsible.

But then I think we're also bitter that we didn't have a lake cottage or heat in August as well....

April 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  12. Look byond

I don't understand how the people can go along with such a flop with Hilary and jeer about their own misery and misfortunes .

They know that they are been bitter and angry, and yet choose to jeer with someone that is continnuing to look down on them and telling them that they should be proud to be broke and NOT angry or BITTER.

Help is on the way says Hilary, who made $109 million, I think I will share some of my fortune with the Pennsylvanian and all will l be well.

I will continue to tell them my Bosnia Sniper Fire episode, and well, maybe, they will buy it. Or maybe they will be very PROUD of me.

I will go to thse rural areas of Pennsylvania , who are very proud of been broke and give them some of the millions I made.

TELL ME WHO IS LOOKING DOWN ON YOU PEOPLE?

WAKE UP PEOPLE.
    HOW LONG CAN THEY USED MIND CONTROL ON YOUR POOR SOULS.

April 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  13. Stacy

Obama always has some ignorant hecklers at the Clinton stops. I witnessed it myself in Texas at a Bill Clinton function. Bil shut them up quick and we never heard another peep.

Ignorant, pompous, and cowardly....just like their candidate.

HILLARY 08 OR MCCAIN.

April 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  14. Neil, VA

I think the DNC likes the fighting because they can make more money for their organization.

Hillary is a hoot, but she is still unelectable. She seems to be the only one who doesnt' know that.

Obama 08

April 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  15. J. Sully, New York

Oboy!!! This is rich. I hope she gets the surprise of her life on 4/22. Imagine McCain (The beer heir's husband) and Clinton (Queen of Chappaqua) calling Barack Obama elitist. These people have some nerve.

April 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  16. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Everybody knows Hillary was born with a silver spoon in her mouth just like GWB, and I ain't mad at her. But she has a very weak argument on whose elitist.

April 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  17. Kentucky

Hillary Clinton is up 20 points now in the latest Penn. poll.

The bitter people are uniting it sounds like! God and guns forever!

Obama sounds like another Walter Mondale candidate to me.

April 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  18. Mary

Senator Barack Oboma is nothing more than a devil in a pin-stripped suit with his pretty speeches and phony promises. He did nothing to help his people in south Chicago (other than use hard-working Americans' tax money for handouts) and he will do nothing to help the average American family and this country's problems.

It would be unwise to vote for such a big-windbag who tells so many lies, three million and counting. He has to bribe young people to work on his campaign. What a fraud.

April 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  19. Rt

Obama's starting to sound like his reverend... Do we want someone like that running the country?!?!

HILLARY OR MCCAIN FOR PRESIDENT

April 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  20. Maureen

Hillary get over it. Stop twisting Barrack's words to gain public sympathy. You simply pathetic in bringing down a Democratic. If you can't get into that White House, you dam well making sure Barrack stay out. You are simply looking out for your selfish greed.

April 14, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  21. Rich, New York

What's wrong peple? He can attack Hillary and nobody says nothing, she attacks him back and everybody jeers. Give me a break!

April 14, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  22. floyd

The real tragedy is the people that are being fooled by Obama. He certainly didn't look presidential the way he heckle HIllary. He looked like a little rookie punk that he is. I will vote for McCain before I vote for Obama.

April 14, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  23. Dr. Graham

Dennis, . . .Don't tell us why we are voting for Senator Obama.

April 14, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  24. Dominique

Obama spoke the truth. The people appreciate that. Hillary should try it sometime.

April 14, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  25. gery

How dare you attack our american idol hillary? :)

April 14, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |