April 14th, 2008

Pennsylvania crowd jeers Clinton attacks on Obama

CNN

Watch Clinton's comments Monday.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – On Monday, with the Pennsylvania primary just days away, Hillary Clinton continued to hammer Barack Obama over his comments that small town Americans "cling to guns or religion" because they are "bitter."

But the audience at a forum put on by the Alliance for American Manufacturing didn't appreciate her line of attack.

"I understand my opponent came this morning and spent a lot of his time attacking me," she said at the beginning of her remarks here.

Many in the crowd responded with audible groans, and a few shouted, "No!"

Obama spoke to the same forum earlier in the morning and ribbed Clinton for doing a shot of whiskey in front of TV cameras on Saturday in Indiana.

Clinton continued, "I know that many of you, like me, were disappointed by the recent remarks he made."

This time, a louder, sustained chorus of "No!" emanated from the audience. Clinton soldiered on.

"I am well aware that at a fundraiser in San Francisco he said some things that many people in Pennsylvania and beyond Pennsylvania have found offensive," she said.

This time, a smaller smattering of jeers.

It was only when Clinton concluded her opening remarks by attacking President Bush that she received a warm round of applause.

The Clinton campaign later said the disgruntled reaction to her remarks came from Obama supporters in attendance.

Several audience members told CNN after the speech they came to the forum to hear each candidate talk about trade issues, and were not interested in the political back-and-forth of the Democratic primary race.

When Clinton focused on policy and expounded on enforcing trade agreements, creating new jobs and standing up to China, she received some hearty ovations.

But despite Pittsburgh's working class reputation, it was at times a tough crowd for the New York senator.

As the question and answer session began, one man asked Clinton for assurances that American workers would not be "tricked" like they had been when her husband signed NAFTA in 1993.

A press release distributed to reporters by the Alliance for American Manufacturing calculated that Pennsylvania lost 44,173 jobs due to NAFTA between 1993 and 2004.

Clinton, who spent much of her speech attacking America's trade imbalance with China, responded by drawing a line in the sand between her policy positions and her husband's trade record.

"As smart as my husband is, he does make mistakes," Clinton quipped.

1. Walt, Belton,TX

You would think Hillary is fighting for the last slot on the High School Varsity Cheerleading Squad, not the most important job in America. Get a grip, Girl, and grow up! A little maturity would be nice......

April 14, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  2. Jane L.

The crowd may not have been booing Senator Clinton; they were booing at what Senator Obama has said.

April 14, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. Madana

You can only create what you can articulate. Someone was able to articulate the "car" before the first car was invented. Barack articulates a future that's inspiring and promises new hopwe and he does it authentically, committedly and selflessly. Hilary could do the same if her attention was less on inflating herself. Clearly, Barack cares more about the people, us, that Hilary does – so, the choice is easy for me.
    Madana, Fl.

April 14, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  4. joseph Jacir, nc

Proud of you sons and daughters of Pennsylvania.........YOU are not taking the bate of the CLINTONS

April 14, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. FEDUP

We need to look at the big picture. I hope people will read the full story, the title is a little ambigious. I can understand their plight. I am lucky in that I don't have to worry about myself. My children and grandchildren are another story. Neither minium wage nor unemployment, will support even a single person, much less a family. Thankfully, I am able help them on many occasions. I think the Clinton administration allowed us to secure our future. Things were good, people were better off 7 years ago. I believe they can be good again under Hillary Clinton. Obama may preach hope, but can he deliver? He appears to cave too easily, to get the job done. His nuclear bill became so watered down it was useless. Exelon benefited from his weak stance..I just don't see change, when your supporters are some of the oldest Washington insiders. Kennedy and Kerry in particular. So, my vote stays with Hillary, to the point of writing her name if necessary.

April 14, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  6. Venus

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Obama! Keep your foot on her NECK and put the other foot on Bill's NECK!

April 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  7. jr

She might have avoided the response from the crowd if she had shared a shot of Kentucy Bourbon (not Canadien whiskey) with them before she went on the attack.

April 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  8. Mark from San Diego

Hillary doesnt realize it is HER that the voters reject!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is every bit as dishonest as Bill. The Clintons just need to go away and us Dems would be better off for it.

April 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. Fed Up Democrat

It is truly sad to see what Hillary Clinton has become. Perhaps she and Bill were always so morally corrupt throughout his administration, however I and my family gave them the benefit of the doubt throughout all of their "problems". I couldn't wait for her to be the first female president, and not because she was female, but rather a continuation of the Clinton administration. Her dishonesty with the American people and especially herself is quite frightening. If she wins the the nomination, we as proud Americans will all loose. We will lose domestically and internationally. She is not the face of "moral authority" as she claims. She needs to get out of the race before she further becomes a danger to herself and others, and the future of America.

April 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  10. Uncle Sam

Sen. Obama has admitted that he was not present when those "bitter" comments were made.

April 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  11. Ivar

Why do I have a feeling that I want to be sick in my stomach..Doctor help me....oHHHH yesss I saw Hillary talking her crap again....Ahhh Oh I see. I am just having the same symptoms as the rest of our country when they listen to Hillary.... GUESS Hillary is intentionally in the race after having lost so she can make some money off the health care lobby.

April 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  12. Al-Houston

Hillary is the one who is unelectable!!!! ------That's why the republicans wan't so much to see her win the nomination. The democrats are theyr'e own worst enemy, not smart enough to see reality. Keep going in this direction and McCain will be the next president.

April 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  13. spyturtle

gun packing beer swigging hillary has got to dodge more than sniper fire. hillary under estimated the intellect of the blue collar. who is the elitist worth 100 million? her lies have come to bite her back.

April 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  14. Tampa

THERE IS NO NEW POLL SHOWING HILLARY UP BY 20% UNLESS IT WAS CONDUCTED BY BILL. CUT THE BS PETER! NO WONDER YOU SUPPORT HER YOU GIRLY MAN LOL

April 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  15. Sharon from Ohio

LIAR HILLARY & DUMB MCCAIN

April 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  16. Marj,Paso Robles, Cal

Only a fool would vote for these Democratic clowns.

April 14, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  17. Rex the wonder horse

Has any body seen a real issue lately? All this 'made up' controversy and endless counter punching isn't doing any body any good about informing people of real issues.

April 14, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. MC

Thank you to the people of PA. Don't let her distract you from the issue. Let's show them we are tired of losing our jobs. We need a plan to create new ones. How many Republicans and Democrats have come to your Small Towns, promising to bring back jobs....and they haven't. At least Obama is being honest with you guys. Show the American people you are not buying it anymore.

Vote for Obama and end the Drama.

April 14, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. Dennis

Go Hillary Go. -- Obama will say anything just to get votes. NOBAMA for all the "WRIGHT" reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. no news

i think the "bitter" people of pa have spoken . and they are saying BYE BYE HILLARY!

April 14, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  21. Eric

The sad part in all of this is; to much time being spent on nonsense, and not enough time being spent on the issues. Obama hit it right on the button. Old Washington poitics. Now PA is really starting to see.

GO OBAMA!!!

April 14, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  22. jpowalski

Hillary's comments sounded very elitist to me!

April 14, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  23. AJ, IL

Oh that Hillary! Loves to take credit for the positive things from the Clinton years, but disavows the negative things from the Clinton years. Wake up Pennslyvania and Indiana, let's turn the page on divisive politics! Heck, even McCain is telling his inner circle that he wants to run against Hillary and not Obama.

April 14, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  24. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

Penn and Indiana. If she makes it, you will be voting for one
    of the most hated women in America. She lies, she distorts the
    truth. She takes one word "bitter' that Obama says and emplodes
    it to make us forget about her Bosnia, Canada, Columbian, Nafta.
    stories. She knows exactly how to take the heat of herself. She
    waits until a Fri. to throw in the monkey wrench.
    If she wins, she will continue to consort with Republicans and lobbiest.. She will never thank you for your vote and she will never
    look back or come back. Obama is tapping in to all of forgotten
    and downtrodden Americans, not just you!!! We have all felt "bitter"
    at times. Obama cares he will never forget you and he is not an "elitist"
    Hillary knows that that word is part of the reason Gore and Kerry lost.

April 14, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  25. Frank, Missouri

That is definitely it ... I would not be voting for Hillary Clinton (or any Clinton) every ! I rather would vote for George Bush to be president for the next generation!

She is diverting the attention from her Bosnia-Gate and Colombia-Gate and the media is just blindly following the agenda. A sad state of a democracy ... but then again, the media fell in lockstep with George Bush before when it was ordered.

Bottom line, I think the Democratic Party is broken. Billary is taking it down with her eyes on 2012. The superDs don't have the guts to stand up to HillyBilly ...

I know Obama can lead this country in a better future .. about the Democrats at large, I am not that sure.

April 14, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |