April 15th, 2008

Blitzer: The pope - and politics

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

(CNN) - All you political news junkies out there who watch a lot of cable news programs may have to suffer a bit of withdrawal in the coming days. That’s because we will be spending a lot of time focusing in on Pope Benedict XVI and his historic visit to the United States.

Needless to say, it’s not everyday that a Pope comes to this country.

Every minute of his trip has been carefully planned. We will be covering a lot of it live.

The Washington Post reports that 5,000 members of the news media have converged on the nation’s capital to report on the events, including the Wednesday morning meeting with President Bush at the White House and Thursday’s mass at the new Washington Nationals’ baseball stadium. It’s then on to New York on Friday for an address to the United Nations and a second mass at Yankee Stadium Sunday afternoon. He then returns to Rome.

We certainly won’t ignore the political news now that we are only a few days away from next Tuesday’s critical Democratic presidential primary in Pennsylvania. We know you have come to count on us for that. The political stakes are enormous.

The Pope’s visit is a powerful story that goes beyond politics. Still, there will be plenty of political overtones surrounding the visit. Several sensitive issues, including the war in Iraq, abortion, global warming, AIDS in Africa, for example, are likely to come up. And as you know, there’s always some political fallout when discussing those issues.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Kel from Bham, AL

Sounds good, wolf. The pope's visit is historic, and since Obama showed up I have been somewhat of a political news junkie, but I suppose I can let it slide for a few days... ;)

April 15, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. Marilyn

The pope only matters if you are Catholic. To the rest of us he and his visit are completely irrelevant!

Thanks for the warning to turn the TV off for a few days.

April 15, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Mike from Calgary

If I want to know what's going on in the world, good to know I can count on CNN the BBC and CBC.
    Mike

April 15, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. James, PA

Thats fine. We like the Pope. At least we would see less of Hillary's face.

April 15, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  5. Bridget

Wolf,
    I am looking forward to your coverage. This is an historic event.
    I am hoping from your coverage to see St Joseph's Church on the Upper Eastside, Yorkville where my siter and brother went to Church & school as a young children. Little did I ever think that one day a Pope would visit this small German parish. My sister and I who now live in Virginia will be glued to CNN.

April 15, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. tww

What a welcome relief from the presidential fiasco......!

April 15, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  7. Thanks Noble

Yes the pop will pray for Obama to win becuase his is the only peaceful hopful president to be Obama 2008

April 15, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  8. Jo

When the pope returns, I pray that he will take Hillary with him and dump her off somewhere. Far away from America.

April 15, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  9. Bob Stephens

I guess that will give us all a break from the 24/7 non-stop coverage of "bitter" that CNN and FOX has been engaged with for the last couple of days.... What a relief.....

April 15, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. peter

It is time for Senator Hillary Clinton to meet the Pope for the lies she told Americans about snipers shut. May be the Pope will help wash away her sins so that Monica LSKY wouldn't be a problem to her any more.

April 15, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  11. Dale Wise

Oh, yipee. I'm so curious about the head delusional bible nut. Please report on every boring aspect of his itinerary. Thanks.

April 15, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  12. G from the D, (Detroit that is)

Yay! The pope's in town! I can't wait to see the new Pope Mobile!!!

April 15, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  13. charles malone

It is a wise decision to provide full coverage of the Pope's visit. Church and state always mix, either dejure or defacto.

April 15, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  14. DJ, LA, CA

Yes I am also getting burnt-out on listening to Hillary/McCain distort every word Obama says and boast about ducking snipers when she gets sleep deprived.

We need a break from the silly season, good timing!

April 15, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  15. enoch needles

How much is security for this visit costing the us taxpayers? I guess God (really) only knows. Any amount is too much.

April 15, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  16. Roger

The pope sins just like the rest of us humans. I'm glad I'm not Catholic.

April 15, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  17. Peter

We can all use the break, even we political junkies. Before next Tuesday we'll all be back into presidential politics full blast. Maybe the pause will do us good.

April 15, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  18. Farrell, Houston, Tx

What a welcome to have the Pope visit and bless our soil.

April 15, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  19. Ponder this

I rather hear rev Wright bash the US than have theleader of free child molesters speak

April 15, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  20. Geez...

I welcome the "change"!

April 15, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  21. Sam

As a Jewish American very aware of the bad history between Jews and Catholics, as well as the modern-day reconciliation between our two religions, I'm always interested to hear what the Pope has to say. Good to know SOMETHING other that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama's tantrum-throwings will be covered....

April 15, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  22. Donj, NJ

it's funny to see Bush with the pope. One that is for war and one that is for peace.

April 15, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. SayNoToHillaryBillaryCheslaryClintrous

Hope he gives you advise wolf. You are such an idiot. I can not stand you and Lou Dobbs the racist. Nice to see a man of truth for a change.

April 15, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  24. Henry Pennymon

If the Pope is going to do no more than smile and wave his hands, we've already seen that! on the other hand, if he's going to actually do something (perform a miracle, prophesy a turn around of the economy, heal someone from disease, bring peace to the middle east, stop gang violence, wipe out child molestation,etc) then we might want to watch. Other than that, watching the pope is a waist of valuable time!

April 15, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  25. Chuck in Oregon

Wolf, thank you for the welcomed relief while you divert our attention to something a bit more spiritual. We need a break from all of this and need to focus our attention on something else for a change.

April 15, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |