April 15th, 2008

Colbert talks politics with Larry King

CNN

Watch Stephen Colbert on Larry King Live.

(CNN) – Stephen Colbert, the Comedy Central host who launched his own short-lived presidential bid last year - discussed politics with CNN’s Larry King Monday night. Some highlights:

On Bill Clinton: “I think that he’s a rogue operative that they’re having trouble shutting down. …He’s a totally separate entity unless, of course, we’re talking about the time that he was president and Hillary Clinton was getting experience by being his wife.”

On the Pennsylvania primary: “I’m a kingmaker. I just want to help the people of Pennsylvania decide who I think they should vote for.”

On Chris Matthews: “He’s probably running for Arlen Specter’s seat in 2010.”

On the Iraq war: “Certainly, in a time of war, there should be no questioning of our leaders and no questioning about whether a surge is or is not successful. We should start thinking more about how the war is feeling and less about how we are feeling about the war.”

Colbert is broadcasting his show, The Colbert Report, from Philadelphia all week. Barack Obama will not be a guest on the show, but wife Michelle Obama is scheduled to make an appearance Tuesday night. Obama’s rival, Sen. Hillary Clinton, is reportedly scheduled appear on the show Thursday.

Filed under: Larry King Live • Stephen Colbert
  1. Chriss

Let "truthiness" prevail!

Obama '08

April 15, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  2. karen from va

Go Colbert! I

April 15, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  3. Alex H

Stephen Colbert, a great American or the GREATEST American?

April 15, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. karen from va

He's helped me endure this primary season! Now, if only he'd figure out a way to remove Hillary's microchip, the world would be a better place.

April 15, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  5. Ron

What a joke this man is. I see him as a sick man!!!!

April 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  6. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

My favorite bit: "[toke on Hope Bong], [cough], change."

April 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  7. Vacman

Who cares what this guy has too say?????

April 15, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  8. ***AMERICAN***

Enough.

Get the facts people, not the hype!

April 15, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  9. Ilona Proud Canadian for Obama

Tell me what is wrong with this last sentence?

"Obama's rival Hillary Clinton" is reportedly scheduled to appear on the show Thursday.

Democrats get a grip!

You should be fighting with your "rival" John McCain. This is absolutely preposterous. Please ask your Super Delegates to put a stop to Sen. Clinton's miserable kitchen sink strategy.

April 15, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  10. J.R.

Larry's effort to entertain Colbert's lame humor came across as awkward and forced. I found it painful to watch.

April 15, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  11. Reality check #1

Good Lord, Michelle Obama is going to be turned loose again? I hope they have her mouth taped shut, hard to say what will come out of it this time since she has been shushed for so long. What kind of angry display will she show this time?

April 15, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  12. Tim, Atlanta GA

I watched this last night. It was probably the most uncomfortable thing I have seen on TV for a while. Colbert was cracking his characteristic jokes over and over and King just didn't get it. He kept thinking Colbert was serious! It was even worse than the appearances by John Stewart and Bill Maher.

April 15, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  13. Scott, Wichita

They should have let him run...
    We need someone with a sense of humor in the White House.

None of the current candidates has one...

Colbert-Stewart '08!

April 15, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  14. kc

He was hilarious! King was eh.....

April 15, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  15. Eric

You know, i just can't really get into Colbert, he is way too liberal.....

April 15, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  16. T L

Michelle Obama is the reason I will not vote for Barack Obama!!! Barack Obama himself seems ok, but Michelle Obama says things as inflammatory as Wright. Well, if you can tell a man from his wife, what is Barack Obama hiding? At least the Bill Clinton knows how to talk to the prime ministers of other countries. I am not sure if Michelle Obama will be capable of doing what a first lady does.

April 15, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  17. Jo Ann

Who cares what this guy think he is not running for president. He is not funny in the least. He just wants to up his shows rating.

April 15, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  18. Hillary Hickory Dud

Hey Hickory, Got A Song:

"Anything you can do I can do better, I can do anything better than you".

She's right, she can lie better than anybody I know.

Obama 08

April 15, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  19. Susan Pa Democrat

OK so he is using this to but his name on the map with folks who never heard of him!
    Hillary is a publicity stunt artist this is the same woman who supported NAFTA sending 44,000 of YOUR jobs overseas!
    Spining Sen. Obama's words of truth in a desperate attempt for votes!
    She disgust me! I'm So glad I saw who she really is before its too late!
    I look forward to seeing Michelle – she is a working mother raising 2 kids on farrrrrr less than $109 million (less than 1% of what the Clintons made)!
    I got the FACTS and my vote goes to Sen. Obama!

April 15, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  20. BK

I wonder what insults and names MO is going to call us to tonight. But don't worry the Obama supporters will explain to us what she really meant and then they will blame it on Hillary.

April 15, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  21. I used to be a Democrat

Its a mistake for Obama to send his wife instead of appearing on Colbert's show himself. Hillary obviously has way more sense than Obama.

April 15, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  22. annie green

Not since my college days have I seen a man who is brilliant, witty and who can sing "the Star Spangled Banner" a capella ? I'd like to cook Colbert a full course dinner – and I'm a woman who only makes reservations. He has influenced me to remember my Pennsylvanian (albeit elitist) upbringing and write him in for President!

April 15, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  23. Bill, somewhere in the MiddleEast

If Barack's spouse is going to appear on Colbert, why is Hillary appearing instead of her spouse??

It's always about her!!

April 15, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  24. Baby

All I can say to Hillary is stupid do as stupid does. You have nothing to gain by going on his show. The public have enough of your back tracking eye opening of trying to look good everything Obama say something that you think can show him up. Hillary that is a man. Didn't your mama ever told you that "whatever a man do in the street he will always be a man, but when a women do the same kinds of thing or worst" she is a " " whatever word you want to you. Ask Bill he knows the phrase all so well.

Obama 08

April 15, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. j

I look forward to more awkwardness on the campaign trail!

April 15, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |