April 15th, 2008
11 months ago

McCain camp pulls its proposal - for passion fruit mousse

The McCain camp pulled the offending passion fruit recipe.
The McCain camp pulled the offending passion fruit recipe.

(CNN) – For a few hours Tuesday morning, the latest campaign trail drama seemed to center not on policy or politics - but on pasta farfalle.

At least three “McCain Family Recipes” posted on John McCain’s campaign Web site and credited to his wife Cindy – including Ahi Tuna with Napa Cabbage Slaw, Passion Fruit Mousse, and Farfalle Pasta with Turkey Sausage, Peas and Mushrooms - appeared to be direct copies of dishes created by the Food Network. Another seemed to be a slightly altered version of a dish prepared by TV chef Rachael Ray.

The similarity was first noted by a New York attorney and appeared in a report on the Huffington Post Monday night.

The McCain campaign quickly moved to quell the controversy over cabbage slaw. “Apparently a web intern added Rachael Ray to our policy team without her knowing it,” McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds told CNN Tuesday morning. “He was swiftly dealt with and the page is down for revision. Our apologies to Food Network …but according to our press assistant the passion fruit mousse is really worth trying.”

Cindy McCain appears to be the only candidate spouse this year to devote a share of the official campaign Web site to recipes; neither Bill Clinton nor Michelle Obama currently have posted their favorite dishes on their spouse’s presidential sites. No word yet on when the Arizona senator's wife might unveil a new plan for the nation's Ahi tuna lovers.

Published on: April 15, 2008 at 8:45 am

Filed under: Cindy McCain
  1. MarkieBee

A vote for McCain is a recipe for disaster! LOL...I'm trademarking that...

April 15, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  2. Ardnuas

This is something McClinton would do..... Say NO to McSame and McClinton please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Obama/Edwards08 Si Se Puede

April 15, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. Maggy

The government and media wants to keep our minds occupied with fear and fruit mousse. We have people dying in Iraq and we are in a DEPRESSION, and we get silly things like this on continuous feeds. When the heck will people wake up? We need to get off our rear ends and start a revolution and take back this country–if it is not already too late.

Our choices for president are poor but I say anyone but a warmonger with PTSD. If we think Bush was bad...

I bought a handful of groceries today for $86. I have to spend $65 to fill up my tank because I can not afford to sell my 1999 Dodge and buy a smaller car.

We are retired and can't afford insurance (we are healthy because we have been vegetarians for 28 years) and so far have not needed medical care. If we get sick we will lose everything we have.

This once fine county of ours is a disgrace. I am not even proud to be an American any longer.

I don't like any of the candidates but Bill Clinton knows how to talk to other countries. For that reason alone Hillary may be our only hope.

I don't know who in their right minds would want to take over this mess. I pity both Obama and Clinton if they win. I pity us if McCain gets in.

April 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  4. rezagui1@hotmail.com

What? McCain is a fake like Hillary? Say it isn't so.

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |