April 15th, 2008

McCain camp pulls its proposal - for passion fruit mousse

The McCain camp pulled the offending passion fruit recipe.
The McCain camp pulled the offending passion fruit recipe.

(CNN) – For a few hours Tuesday morning, the latest campaign trail drama seemed to center not on policy or politics - but on pasta farfalle.

At least three “McCain Family Recipes” posted on John McCain’s campaign Web site and credited to his wife Cindy – including Ahi Tuna with Napa Cabbage Slaw, Passion Fruit Mousse, and Farfalle Pasta with Turkey Sausage, Peas and Mushrooms - appeared to be direct copies of dishes created by the Food Network. Another seemed to be a slightly altered version of a dish prepared by TV chef Rachael Ray.

The similarity was first noted by a New York attorney and appeared in a report on the Huffington Post Monday night.

The McCain campaign quickly moved to quell the controversy over cabbage slaw. “Apparently a web intern added Rachael Ray to our policy team without her knowing it,” McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds told CNN Tuesday morning. “He was swiftly dealt with and the page is down for revision. Our apologies to Food Network …but according to our press assistant the passion fruit mousse is really worth trying.”

Cindy McCain appears to be the only candidate spouse this year to devote a share of the official campaign Web site to recipes; neither Bill Clinton nor Michelle Obama currently have posted their favorite dishes on their spouse’s presidential sites. No word yet on when the Arizona senator's wife might unveil a new plan for the nation's Ahi tuna lovers.

Published on: April 15, 2008 at 8:45 am

Filed under: Cindy McCain
  1. Jim Shimmer

Lies, just lke Billary...

Aren't we fedup of the same ol horrile politics of the past.

McCain is a millionaire, he has 8 houses, his wife is filthy rich and they want to act like they care about ordinary people like us. Please go away!

April 15, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  2. hillary 08

all of obama's recipes are too bitter

April 15, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  3. Barb Canada

I heard the cabbage stew was " Bitter"

April 15, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  4. Renee

I can't beleive I was going to Actually have a response to this!

April 15, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  5. Allan

It's just all so revealing, isn't it? Your choices:

The Republican candidate will be a man who dumped his first wife, who stood strong while he was a prisoner in Vietnam, for a beer heiress, whose Daddy bought him a political career. After managing to dodge more bullets when he wasn't destroyed by the Keating Five scandal and surviving a primary season in which no one was happy with their choices, he got nominated to run for Presidency. His campaign features recipes attributed to his wife that were actually selected by an intern, presumably so we'll believe that they're just a model Republican couple with a caretaking wife whipping up dinner.

The Democratic candidate will be a man is happily married to his one and only wife and doing a great job, by all accounts, of being a terrific and attentive father to his two young daughters while simultaneously staging the most incredible underdog campaign in Party history. And Michelle's mom helps out with the babies so she can do a great job for her employer and raise a family. His campaign hasn't gotten around to sharing any recipes yet, but when they do, I'll bet they're delicious!

Explain to me how voting Republican promotes family values?

April 15, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. Scott

I love how Obama supporters can turn anything into a reason to spew their typical hate filled rethoric. As usual they have nothing substantial like Obama to add to the conversation. I like how the hypocrit Obama constantly whines about how mean ole Hillary said this or that then turns around and bashes her and McCain. Of course his supporters are no different. All they can say is he is just like Bush which couldn't be farther from the truth. Unfortunately, Obama's Liberal supporters are too filled with hate to objectively look at McCains positions on anything and then make an informed decission. This same hate filled group is to blind to see that Obama isn't doing anything differently than Hillary is. At least Hillary stands by what see says even when its wrong. Unlike Obama who bashed small town people, then back pedals when he takes a hit in the polls. By the way, where has his wife been lately. They sure put the clamps on her after her "I am ashamed of my country until my husband has a chance of being president speech."

As for Lord Voldamort. Maybe you should look at the violent crime statics for your own country before you bring your ignorance on here and bash our country.

April 15, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. Brown

This is not the first time she has been caught. I'm just so happy drugs were not involved. I wouldn't want McCain to step in and keep her out of jail. Yes I know its a low blow – but true. Those who are wealthy usually get away with anything!

April 15, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. proud army and navy mom

Cindy is already picturing herself as the first lady... one problem..she's no lady, just a husband stealer and druggie

April 15, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Kin

That...is unbelievably low, McCain.

April 15, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. kc

PLEASE, WHO CARES ABOUT RECIPES.. GOODNESS.

April 15, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  11. Edith Stafford

Who cares about Cindy's recipes I am an excellent cook I create recipes. Senator McCann followed the ignorance of Hillary Clinton in bashing a good man like Barack Obama on the "bitter truth". God help us if he is elected to Commander in Chief. How can anyone give even a second thought to electing any Repbulican to Presidency when if anyone is paying attention everytime a Republican has been President the economy goes to dou, dou. Everything goes sky high, the stock market goes down, they're destroyers, it dosen't take a rocket scientist to see that!!!! I am guilty of having voted for Republicans not any more they have an agenda for everyone to live by except they don't follow the agenda but expect everyone else to do so take notice. VOTE NO ON McCann!! or Hillary YES BARACK OBAMA do not pay attention to the attacks Obama means no one any harm FORGIVE, FORGIVE.

April 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. Awando

What is happening to real news that people want to hear CNN?????? who ares about recipes at this time when the economy is sliding down to the ground, people are loosing their homes, US solders are dying in Iraq fighting a war that should have never been waged in the first place? why is CNN dwelling on irrellevant issue like the word "bitter" who cares, please stick to real issues. I am getting tired of repetetive news on CNN from am to pm. Who is an Elitist here?????????????????

April 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. Doug

How are people still voting for Hillary? It's virtually impossible for her to win the nomination, it would make much more sense to me to unite the democratic party, and topple this snarling Republican rule that has so graciously yanked this great nation from the pedestal it once stood on. Voting for John McCain in place of Hillary at the polls in September, to me, is absolutely mind boggling. It would go to show that people aren't voting based upon the glaring issues that need to be addressed, but rather, are taking the election to a personal level, which would undoubtedly come back to haunt everyone.

April 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  14. adyacent

I agree that the news is not very important, but the irony is sweet. Not only "Cindy's favorite recipies" were not Cindy's,but an intern work, but then the intern copy and paste the recipies from the Food Network. This is really authentic people, not like those elitists!

April 15, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. Lou

Farfalle pasta???...I can't even pronounce that... talk about elitists and out of touch....can I get that stuff in the frozen food aisle? ha ha

April 15, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. David

Hmm... Whose Elite now? Ahi Tuna? Yah, the average American really cares about recipes for Ahi Tuna...

April 15, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. McTheft

it's called PLAGIARISM! Remember all you Hillary and McCain lover's were trying to pin that on Barack???

HUmmmm.. I smell a double standard cooking here!!

April 15, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  18. Ilona Proud Canadian

Americans one and all. I don't know what to say to you. I have been reading these comments for months now, and frankly I empathize with you. Just reading the above comments I am just ready to pull my hair out and it is not even our election (of course the outcome will have an impact worldwide)

I have even had a few chuckles, reading some of the comments. I hope that you have been able to do the same, you need to take a bit of a break and just try to laugh. Don't get me wrong I know that this is not a laughing matter, but you folks need to relieve some of the stress that is so evident in these blogs. Good Luck.

April 15, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  19. Stacy Clarks, TX

WOW...while the other spouses are out there fighting for America, Cindy is cooking?!?!?!

and Obama is the one that is supposed to be out of touch?!?! GET REAL!!

GO BACK TO THE KITCHEM CINDY, AND TAKE JOHN WITH YOU WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!!!

OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. HoldenLitgo

The press is determined to make this election about anything but what really matters to Americans and reduce the credibility of the candidates by lowering the level of discourse to the lowest common denominator. We get the leaders we deserve. Unfortunately, we're allowing the press to tell us what we deserve. We're no brighter than they are when we let them tell us time after time what we should find important. Do I sound bitter? Or does the fact that I call it like it is make me sound elitist? These are the big questions. Just ask the press. They'll tell you. But whatever you do, don't think for yourself.

April 15, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  21. South Beach

Thank you but I would not want Michelle Obama's recipes. Everything that comes out of her mouth is bitter. That must mean what goes into her mouth is bitter too.

April 15, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  22. Mike

Kathleen and llona are at it again I see. Kathleen doesn't have a clue and needs to up her prescription. llona is a CANADIAN, give me a break, who cares what you think. To answer your question though I think it's laughable that YOU of all people are against NAFTA and CAFTA since it's the only thing keeping your countries head above water. Remember everyone the tax breaks are not "rich" tax breaks they are "corporate" tax breaks. Given the option of doing business here at 46% or going to Mexico or Taiwan and paying 13% and 15% respectively where would you move your company? Education should be a prerequisite for voting and or opening your mouth in general.

April 15, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. YMC

Who cares about what expensive foods Cindy McCain likes, what about small towns like in Pennsylania has to make a choice between gas or top ramen. McCain and Hillary calling Obama elite, Cindy is worth 100 million and Clintondemons worth 109, who is elite. This is stupid to talk about food when many are starving daily.

WHO IS ELITE? HILLARY AND MCCAIN. MCCAIN ONLY TALKS SOFT SO HIS ANGER WONT POP UP AND CINDY WE DONT NEED YOU TO RUN AROUND THE WHOLE WORLD TALKING ABOUT ADDICTIONS, WE KNOW ABOUT ADDICTIONS, SPEND YOUR TIME HELPING THE POOR.

April 15, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  24. richard

Does anyone believe Cindy Mccain, Chairperson of the board of directors for corporate america, worth well over 100 million, cooks her own dishes?

I think not.

April 15, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  25. Jim

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that Bill's favorite dish will be focused on tuna.

April 15, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |