April 15th, 2008
1 year ago

McCain camp pulls its proposal - for passion fruit mousse

The McCain camp pulled the offending passion fruit recipe.
The McCain camp pulled the offending passion fruit recipe.

(CNN) – For a few hours Tuesday morning, the latest campaign trail drama seemed to center not on policy or politics - but on pasta farfalle.

At least three “McCain Family Recipes” posted on John McCain’s campaign Web site and credited to his wife Cindy – including Ahi Tuna with Napa Cabbage Slaw, Passion Fruit Mousse, and Farfalle Pasta with Turkey Sausage, Peas and Mushrooms - appeared to be direct copies of dishes created by the Food Network. Another seemed to be a slightly altered version of a dish prepared by TV chef Rachael Ray.

The similarity was first noted by a New York attorney and appeared in a report on the Huffington Post Monday night.

The McCain campaign quickly moved to quell the controversy over cabbage slaw. “Apparently a web intern added Rachael Ray to our policy team without her knowing it,” McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds told CNN Tuesday morning. “He was swiftly dealt with and the page is down for revision. Our apologies to Food Network …but according to our press assistant the passion fruit mousse is really worth trying.”

Cindy McCain appears to be the only candidate spouse this year to devote a share of the official campaign Web site to recipes; neither Bill Clinton nor Michelle Obama currently have posted their favorite dishes on their spouse’s presidential sites. No word yet on when the Arizona senator's wife might unveil a new plan for the nation's Ahi tuna lovers.

Published on: April 15, 2008 at 8:45 am

Filed under: Cindy McCain
  1. JOSH

Wow, smells fishy to me. This reminds me of the time Obama said he never heard any controversial remarks from Wright, then two days later admitted he had heard them. I bet in a week or two his memory will clear up and he can recall being at this party.
    FOX NEWS PLEASE LOOK AT THE NEW STORY WITH TONY RESKO AND OBAMA ON THE CHICAGO SUN TIMES OH MY GOD OBAMA IS A LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  2. marylee wagerman atlanta,ga

Now doesn't that recepie sound elitist?

April 15, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. truth be told

Mike you're a troll working for Hillary, we all know that.

McCain doesn't want to face OBAMA... he doesn't stand a chance against him...

April 15, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  4. Allan KCMO

"My  friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
     I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it."

- Barack  Obama

April 15, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  5. NYC Native

Will they change McCain's slogan to Let Them Eat Cake?

April 15, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  6. Nia - AZ by way of MN

So there is nothing else about his campaigne we can talk about...Gosh the media is turning this whole thing into one big circus...uggg!

April 15, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  7. ***AMERICAN***

Beka April 15th, 2008 3:01 pm ET

I just want Hillary to go away so we can get to the business of marginilizing the traitors who vote for these republican fools.

Be careful who you call a traitor. What have you done for this country? I put my life on the line for it for 22 years. I bleed red, white and blue. I also vote republican. Am I a traitor?

Are you even brave enough to say it to my face!

April 15, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  8. nate

Mike do your nascar buddies think your racist jokes are funny?

April 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  9. ho tc

Without any question, Cindy McCain is nice-looking, and the recipes might make her more likeable.

April 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  10. Nia - AZ by way of MN

Here is a news flash for you " How will McCain Run a Country in a Reccesssion when He Himself has Banckrupt his own Campaign and the State of AZ has a several Billion Dollar short fall?"

April 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  11. Wallace

This is one of the wakckiest presidential races I ever witness. With all that is happenning in our economy; a ridiculous meaningless war, housing erupting, gas prices going up, bankruptcies everywhere you turn, food prices soaring, dishonest politicians. This tip bit of information itself says alot about the republican candidate himself and his spouse. While american people are struggling just to have a descent meal, the McCain's are making recipes for the cook in the white house to make for them. They could care less about the less unfortunate american's out there who are homeless, hungry, single parents w/children struggling to make ends meet. This an insult to the american public.

April 15, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. Grif

There's a Mousse, a lose, aboot this hoose.... Somwhere...

April 15, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  13. T.DeMari

Bravos to Hillary Clinton for reviving the Rev. Wright controversy. Mr. Barack Obama has yet to explain why he let his two young children listen to Wright's hate sermons for years....and he has yet to apologize for his "bitter"comments. Some newspapers who don't know better have said that Obama has in fact, apologized, but the fact really is, that Obama has not apologized. His arrogant side is beginning to show, the more he speaks. We had a President for almost 8 years who could not choose his words carefully, and look at the consequences. We do not need another president who does not guard his comments and thoughts carefully, before opening his mouth.

April 15, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  14. Emmanuel

This is a warning to all REPUBLICANS! Stop acting like you are DEMOCRATS on the blogs by insulting both our candidates and dividing the our party more. You all are disgusting and we caught TWO of you angry conservatives. You claim you worship God? You all are sick.

April 15, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. Cathi

Remember Hillary's comment: "I'm not some housewife who stays home and bakes cookies?" (hhmm... I wonder why women haven't jumped all over that comment?) Anyway... I'll bet now she wishes she had baked cookies so she could post the recipies on her website.

April 15, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  16. Steve

Obviously Mrs. McCain needs to keep an eye on the campaign interns. It seems very odd to me that, after all the controversy other candidates have gone through due to misrepresentations, an intern could be so naive as to post something that is obviously someone else's work. I can't speak for Mrs. Obama, but I would guess she's a little busy right now. I don't care what the Obama's favorite dishes are. I want to know how they'll handle our national problems. As for the potential First Husband, if I were Hillary, I would be sure to put someone other than him on the job of monitoring intern activities. He seems to have a real "hands on" management style that may create a whole new nest of problems other than simple plageurism.

April 15, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  17. Tootie

Why are you picking on Cindy McCain?

At least she's not a hag and an anti American.

April 15, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. eddie, Quebec

Sounds like recipes for elitists

No common blue collar eat that kinda stuff.

Gravel/Clarke 08

April 15, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  19. John, Miss

So if the intern plagaraized the recipe...were they just making stuff up about Cindy's favorite dishes? Or did Cindy direct the intern to the recipe and is complicit in the plagarizing?

April 15, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  20. EBC

Shameful Cindy McCain....

I mean do YOU really need to copy and lie about something so petty as recipes too? Can't you come up with a simple recipe of on your own that is original?. Can't your PRIVATE CHEF come up with anything original for YOU to use and call your own? Cause I doubt you even know where the kitchen is in your mansion of mansions.

Hummmmm and your husband has the nerve to call Sen. Obama an Elitist. Wow.... now that's funny now isn't it.

April 15, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  21. Remi

Who cares about What MCain's wife likes to eat. ?What I care about is Healthcare, Jobs, House crisis, Gas price, Education, and the quick return of our military. She can eat whatever she wants , I don't give a D.

April 15, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  22. me

Dear CNN;

Whether it be a mistake or not, please fix the mistake that you have made by making a link that should be going to Obama's site go to Hillary's. This major error can be found by clicking to the politics tabs and then on the right side of the page where categories is listed and then Presidential candidates.

This one-sided media approach, no longer works and people are sick of filtered information and having to make decisions based on the "lying by omission" standards.

Thanks.

April 15, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  23. Living in the USA

Hiliary said that she doesn't see any bitter people in Pennsylvania. Everyone is happy as can be and everything is fine in this country. Jobs have gone away, foreclosures are through the roof and things are GREAT!!! Talk about being out of touch with the people. She reminds of that movie when that little boy says "I see dead people" and people think that he is crazy. Back away from the bar Hiliary. You have had one toooo many shots. I have not seen a photo op yet with you taking a picture in front of a nursery you built with your 109M so that the happy harworking people don't have to worry about daycare expenses. You might have been born there but how many times have you actually gone back to help the community. You say I can relate to you people not by your work and poverty and I left and I have never looked back.

April 15, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  24. Alice

"change you can zerox"

April 15, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  25. jerrysf

What's more interesting...is that regardless of where the intern took them from, he had obviously been given the direction to "get some recipes" and slap Cindy's name on them.

Granted this is a silly issue, but it does speak to the way accuracy and credibility is viewed with teh McCain campaign.

April 15, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |