April 15th, 2008

New Obama spot responds to Clinton ad

Clinton and Obama have traded negative ads this week.
Clinton and Obama have traded negative ads this week.

(CNN) – Less than a day after Hillary Clinton’s campaign released an ad that said voters were “insulted” by Barack Obama’s recent remarks about some small-town Americans, the Illinois senator’s campaign released a new Pennsylvania spot Tuesday that says people are “rejecting Hillary Clinton’s attacks.”

The 30-second ad opens with some members of a Pennsylvania crowd reacting badly to Clinton in Pittsburgh Monday when she said “I know that many of you, like me… were disappointed by recent remarks that [Obama] made.”

Says an announcer, “There's a reason people are rejecting Hillary Clinton's attacks. Because the same old Washington politics won't lower the price of gas or help our struggling economy. Barack Obama will represent all Americans. He offers a new approach….”

Obama himself adds: “When we get past the politics of division and distraction and we start actually focusing on what we have in common, there's nothing we can't accomplish…”

Filed under: Ads • Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton
  1. steve

When Clinton "misspeaks" she is crucified. When Obama "misspeaks" he is glorified. Double standard, I think.

April 15, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  2. Ted

I can see an Obama cabinet now .Rezko ,Wright ,Jesse Jackson,and
    Al Sharpton . LORD HELP US !!!

April 15, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  3. Angela

Again the TRUTH is said by OBAMA……..Americans are seeing that Hillary just lies about everything.

How can you know if her next statement is the truth or not? Hillary, if you always lie then there is no point in even listening to you!!! Hillary, stop the negativity!!!

April 15, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  4. yvonne frank

hey b.o. supporters read his words and stop the spin. ooo dont forget to studder though. if not hillary then mccain 08.

April 15, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  5. Vince Los Angeles, CA

NOW THAT'S A COMEBACK!!

April 15, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  6. Susan MO

Obama insulted the people of Pennsylvania, and to top it off, 'made light of it'.....that is laughing at the people he insulted.

How rude & critical.

America does not want a president who insults the people.

Losing your votes.

Now For Hillary Clinton.

Clinton 08

April 15, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  7. Jay

So I guess Obama is encouraging his cult members to boo Hillary. I guess this is why you call him the great "uniter'. BOOOOOOO to you NObama!

April 15, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  8. Kate

Obama is telling the truth- small town America has been overlooked for too long and it's time that someone does someone to help! We are bitter, but that is to be expected after all the Clinton's and Bush's never did anything to support us. We're tired, cranky, need jobs and YES- even bitter!
    OBAMA 08!

April 15, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  9. Nanc, MN

For someone who's all about hope and the future Obama sure uses a lot of his "poor me" past. I, for one, am tired of it.

Lots of us have been poor at one time or another, so what? Too many people grow up in single parent households, so what? Too many children go to foster care, not to loving grandparents, so what? In other words these are challenges millions live with every day and that doesn't make anyone special, sad maybe, but not special. You didn't know true poverty, lack of love or support, abyssmal school systems etc, etc. So get over your self.

The scraping snow story really doesn't cut it for me, I'm from Minnesota, home of endless winter.

This harping back to your past is beginning to smell like a whiff of "oh, poor Barack, such a tough life" deperation. You wouldn't know a truely tough life if it jumped up and bit you on the butt.

April 15, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  10. Rich

To those saying Obama always copies Clinton...if that were true he would have been making lies up about her or at least milking her problems with the Bosnia blow up for all they are worth. Obama is smart enough to hear the wisdom in others, even his opponents, but he also exhibits judgement about things that he should not do.

Oh, and the idea of turning down lobbyist and PAC funds in favor of smaller donations from average Americans like me....just copying Hillary and scraping by with the bills, right?

April 15, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  11. to:FRED Atlanta, GA

An then Fred what? how in the world you think you man is going to win the Whitehouse WITHOUT ALL 50 STATES

He made sure 2 states get no vote at all and then sets his supporters presure Clinton to withdraw which would DENY 8 states and 2 territories of any choice of candidate. WHAT A MAN.... NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY....

HEY OBAMA I VOTED FOR YOU!!! I REGRET IT!!!! MAKE SURE YOU COUNT ALL OF OUR VOTES.... MAKE SURE YOU HEAR ALL OUR VOICES...

April 15, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  12. Aaron, ATL

Hillary is a Republican in a Democrats clothing (i.e. George Bush's "I don't see anybody coming out of the Dems but Hillary" mini endorsement before the primaries started) She has voted for many of Bushes policies, hell she is the wife Daddy Bush's surrogate son Bill. THEY VACATION TOGETHER!!!! HELLOOOOOOO!!!!!! The plan is Bush Bill Baby Bush Hill Jebby Bush Chelsea... DYNASTY!!! LOL Change is here...Obama '08. Why do you think the Republican put up their duds this year, now they see Hillary Bush is not going to win, she's on a Kamikaze mission to sabotage this race for the next best republican thing...McBush! VOTE FOR CHANGE OR MORE OF THE SAME...Obama 08

April 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. LNAB

I haven't seen this many kool-aid drinkers in one place since GWB was elected in 2000

think we can expect the same level of performance out of Obama as we got out of Bush

but I'm not looking forward to saying "I told you so" .. AGAIN... to all morons who will be coming off the Obama kool-aid high in a year or two..

April 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  14. RJ

For all you guys that are'nt Bitter about the state of the ecomony, how about this ...when Obama becomes President ,and he will.!.....

When he starts making economic changes that better the country. How about you guys don't try to cash In. Stay exactly where you are! since your so Happy and Content!

April 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  15. E Nelson

Actually Obama won Texas. Some people aren't smart enough to count beyond the ten fingers they have on their hands.

But then again why would we want facts to get in the way of an election.

"I was for NAFTA before I was against NAFTA"

Hillary Clinton

"I was for the war before I was against the war"

Hillary Clinton

"I was against guns before I was for guns"

Hillary Clinton

"I was for sniper fire before I was against it"

April 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  16. Harvey

Another gaff when this neophyte is speaking off the cuff, along the lines of "...being punished with a baby." I hope and pray the remaining uncommitted super delegates realize that there is more to come, and will not vote to nominate this disaster waiting to happen. Speaking as a black man, I say so what if we (blacks) stay home in November if Hillary is nominated? The consequences: Hillary won't carry South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, and all of those other red States that is tipping the scale for Obama. Well, duh! On the other hand, if Obama is nominated, he won't carry the blue-collar vote, the marginal women's vote, the Hispanic vote, and the Jewish vote (bye bye Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Mexico – and, John McCain can measure the White House for drapes). Wake up! Let's be analytical about this!

April 15, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. chris isner

I was up late last night with my girlfriend watching YouTube clips about Obama, and then some of Clinton. We were comparing speeches and looking at other clips and I was sort of taken aback at the venom in my gilfriend's catty attacks on Obama Girl. That's when I came to the conclusion that my girlfriend has a crush on Barack Obama!

I then realized that the secret to effective public speaking is that it is possible to reach out and touch people, to really move people – and in moving people, create a movement of people – only if you fervently believe in what you're saying. Is it any wonder, then, that both Clinton and McCain are such lackluster orators? It is impossible to fervently believe in pandering soundbites.

Would it be elitist of me to say that the vast majority of you people employ the grammar, spelling and punctuation of third-graders? In this, the richest, most powerful nation the world has ever known, there is just no excuse for being stupid, fat, willfully ignorant fools. How can I be an elitist? I never went to high school.

April 15, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  18. Ray Ito

Hillary is a SERIAL LIAR. She's a strong supporter of NAFTA with her husband for years but to get votes, she pretend she's against it.

April 15, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  19. Ardnuas

EXCELLENT response!!!!!
    PA voters know the truth, and will respond to hope and unity!!!!!!!!!!!
    Obama/Edwards08 Si Se Puede

April 15, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  20. Dori in AZ

Remember the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale "The Emperor's New Clothes"?

Hillary is like the emperor (empress) who's parading naked in the streets wearing her new "clothes." And, there are crowds cheering her along and, though they see that she's naked, they're all pretending that she isn't. That is, until a child sees that she has nothing on and brings it to the crowd's attention.

Despite everyone being told that the empress is wearing new clothes, and the empress actually believing that she's wearing new clothes, the child is not caught up in the collective delusion. He SEES the truth and SHOUTS it for what it is.

No matter what the empress Hillary and her followers want to believe and pretend to be real, she IS naked.

And, it's an ugly sight.

Obama is our hope for the future. Obama 2008!

April 15, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  21. shara

It will back fire to you HRC! You will see!

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  22. Walter Alvizures

way to go Obama, 08

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  23. Tim in Arkansas

Hurray Obama!!!!
    Obama 08!!!!

I'M BITTER!!!!
    Tired of Bush!!!
    Tired of Clintons!!!
    Tired of Iraq!
    Tired of Sex Scandals!
    Tired of Political Scandals!
    Tired of Lies!

TIME FOR CHANGE!!!!
    OBAMA 08!!!!

White, College Educated, Middle Age, Southern Male for OBAMA!!!!

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  24. Edward, Staten Island

Candidate Clinton is telling Pennsylvanian's without job, health insurance and losing their homes that she identifies with them. Yes, she is feeling their pain, with $109 million dollars in her account. Bill did not feel our pain with that much in his bank account for sure when he ran for the presidency. Hillary please be realistic with your comparing yourself with the average Joe that has Obama's genuine empathy.

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  25. Patrick

I can't believe what I'm reading. Hillary or McCain " I love my country too much?" Clintons on Nafta. The War Monger. You don't give a crap about your country. Why? BECAUSE YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION. You don't pay attention to the fear mongering, the war mongering, record debt, 50 million without health care, a world that HATES US, an oil crisis, food up big time, failing transpertation system, the list goes on. Pathetic people. Wake up and READ. EDUCATE yourself.

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |