April 15th, 2008

New Obama spot responds to Clinton ad

Clinton and Obama have traded negative ads this week.
Clinton and Obama have traded negative ads this week.

(CNN) – Less than a day after Hillary Clinton’s campaign released an ad that said voters were “insulted” by Barack Obama’s recent remarks about some small-town Americans, the Illinois senator’s campaign released a new Pennsylvania spot Tuesday that says people are “rejecting Hillary Clinton’s attacks.”

The 30-second ad opens with some members of a Pennsylvania crowd reacting badly to Clinton in Pittsburgh Monday when she said “I know that many of you, like me… were disappointed by recent remarks that [Obama] made.”

Says an announcer, “There's a reason people are rejecting Hillary Clinton's attacks. Because the same old Washington politics won't lower the price of gas or help our struggling economy. Barack Obama will represent all Americans. He offers a new approach….”

Obama himself adds: “When we get past the politics of division and distraction and we start actually focusing on what we have in common, there's nothing we can't accomplish…”

Filed under: Ads • Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton
  1. one nation under god!!!!

Blah blah blah shut up obama you sicken me.take your elitist and racist views and just go away

April 15, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. Dori in AZ

I'm not insulted. I"m not disappointed. At least, not by Sen. Obama.

Obama 2008. Period.

April 15, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. Obama wins PA

I love it!!!

April 15, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. Lisa

I think that Hillary's relentless attack on Obama over the bitter remark may hurt her and I am glad he has responded. I live in a very small rural town and I understand what he was saying. In the 2004 election I did exactly what he is talking about. Although I knew that Bush was not doing a good job with the economy and such I voted for him anyway because of morals. I am against abortion and I thought that I should vote for him for that reason. Now I am paying so much at the grocery store and the gas pump I can barely keep my head above water. I realize that I made a mistake basing my vote on a religious issue. Obama is right. You should vote for whoever you feel will do the best job for this country. I personally believe this person is Barack Obama and I urge the PA voters to ponder what he really meant instead of how it was spun. He was sticking up for you.....not looking down on you as Hillary would try to trick you into believing. Be very wary of the person who is trying to trick you. I don't think she has your back.

April 15, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. PA voter

oh please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go away obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am so sick of watching your stupid ads...ENOUGH

April 15, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  6. Ilona Proud Canadian

You would think that by now, the Clinton camp would know that their kitchen sink strategy will turn back to bite them. When will they learn that they cannot win with this type of strategy! People are seeing right through them.

Just yesterday I said to my husband ( after watching Sen. Clinton's ad.) you mark my words within a day or two Sen. Obama will respond with his own ad. Now was I right?

Just over yesterday and today Sen. Clinton has had to deal with jeers, hecklers, and rowdyism. She just had to reduce her Jefferson-Jackson hour long speech to a mere five minute talk because of this. When will she learn?

April 15, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  7. gary

The problem with Hillary is she isn't very likeable, and is less so when being mean. Not to say that Obama hasn't left himself open, but she would do better to make her point then move on. When she keeps hammering negativity, it makes her seem witchy and small, and allows Obama's teflon approach to work. She should have dropped it after her first day's attacks and let it simmer. Really she should have run a better campaign and not fallen so far behind.

April 15, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  8. SLO Bear

Time for superdelegates to experience the courage of "hope" and experience the satisfaction of the 1.3 million people who have already supported Obama.

April 15, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  9. Ifeanyi Azubike Houston Texas

Sure, what matters is bringing down the cost of fuel, safeguarding our houses, engendering peace, and telling the truth. We can no longer afford to highlight what divides us. The electorate has got it better than the press and Washington. Substance not politics is the key this time.

April 15, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  10. Monica, Texas

Go Obama....Taking lemons and making lemon-aid!!!!!!

April 15, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  11. Guy

Note to PAUL - Hillary graduated from Wellesley and Yale (like W) - so before you start demeaning Obama for being well educated you should check out your own candidate first.

Hillary is playing the people of Pennsylvania for fools, thinking they care more about her going negative than Obama staying positive.

I'd like to see an ad from Obama asking HIllary why she is allowing Mark Penn to still attend roundtable meetings running her campaign after he supposedly resigned for making deals with Colombia? Again, she is playing the people of Pennsylvania for fools and telling half-truths.

April 15, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. Realistic

Responding to Hillary is easy:

"Voters of Pennyslvania, your choice is simple. You can either vote for a person who was a director of Wal-Mart for 6 years, who actively campaigned for NAFTA and whose husband signed it into law, who voted for the war, and who has been caught telling fish stories, such as that she dodged sniper fire in Bosnia when in fact she didn't."

"Credibility is everything. Sure, she'll make big promises because she's done it all before. She promised eastern New York that she would bring them 300,000 jobs but actually they lost 45,000 jobs."

"Just vote for the other guy. I am Barack Obama and I approve this message."

April 15, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. KOR

Gotta say it–actions speak louder than words. The part of the 'bitter' speech that angered me was how many times Obama felt the need to remind us he is black. Does he think we will forget? Read the whole answer he gave to the question. He is still being divisive, not seeing one America as he claims to, but still separating by colors. He also still belongs to Trinity Church. Reverend Wright may be gone, but the basic tenet of that church is still the Black Value System. Please visit their site. Now he's losing his temper because someone dared to question him. He's not anything NEW, he's more of the same. He just lies prettier.

April 15, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  14. Nora

He is THE ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  15. Susan - DEM for Obama

Clinton should just go back to whatever town she claims she is from this week. I am trying to imagine what cause she is flip flopping on next week that one day she is for, and the next she is against. The BRADY law against handgins she was against, but she says she used to shoot. Anyone beleive that.. I don't. She would probably break an arm or a nail, god forbid. She is not a fighter, not a surviver. She is not a woman I would ever get behind, nor one I'm proud to call a leader or a part of my gender. As a woman, I am ashamed of her and all she stands for. She cries foul the slightest chance she realizes she is losing, calls gender biase anytime something isn't going her way, and doesn't paly fair in the world of business. Grow up Hillary if you want to be President and play with the boys at the top of the Hill or get out! Obama didn't scare me with his comments the other day because for the most part, this small town girl, clings to religion, and culture and am frustrated and bitter and all the cr_p that we have had to endure at the hands of politicians like Hillary and Bill Clinton. Go and found another place to call home and torture for another 4 years or for another matter, find another country. PLEASE PRINT MY COMMENTS – CNN NEVER DOES....

April 15, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  16. Janie, Raleigh, N.C.

Obama is dangerous. His bitter remarks are straight out of Karl Marx. Wake up America.

April 15, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  17. logic

Way to go Senator Obama, ask Hillary what the five fingers said to the face. But seriously, Karl Rove couldn't be more proud of Hillary and her committment to playing the American people for fools. She's trying to have her cake and eat it too. A cake that was baked by Cindy McCain.

April 15, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  18. Shane

How you can buy what Clinton is selling. She lied about the Bosnia story several times. Clinton calls Obama an elitist when he just finished paying off his student loans 4 years ago. I think some you people actually deserve Bush.

April 15, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  19. chuckabee

BROVO MR. OBAMA. Count me in

April 15, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. YOU NEED TO KNOW

The Ad that Senator Obama should Run goes like this.....

A Picture of a Woman (Hillary) running screaming "SNIPER FIRE" while everyone else is walking and worrying about getting something to eat.

OR...How about....A Woman (Hillary) who tells the story of a poor woman that has no insurance and goes to the hospital and dies...OOOPSSS sorry that would be a LIE

OR...even maybe this.....A Woman(Hillary) who tells the whole world I'm against NAFTA AND CAFTA, but my Husband can go ahead and make millions of Dollars (so that I can pay my campaign bills) supporting what I'm agains and by the way why doesn't my Chief Campaign Strategist join him.

Or the Best One...it's 3:00am and the phone rings and the 60 year old woman (Hillary) answers the phone and says Drop the bomb and the next day tells everyone I MIS-SPOKE.....

But you know...you are not going to see any AD coming from Senator Obama's camp like this...because he is trying to run a clean campaign, but Clinton is making it very hard....I just wish he would drop the Hammer on this LYING, DO ANYTHING TO WIN (Including destroying the party and Obama for the Republicans) PHONY (Hillary)

April 15, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  21. What?

As I understand it, the "American Dream" is to come from humble beginnings... for example, the son of an immigrant raised in a single parent home... and then work hard to get educated, earn money, and help others do the same. Prominant Americans like Andrew Carnegie have followed the same path, in his case, donating millions to libraries and education. However, when Barack Obama achieves the American dream of rising up and eventually graduating with honors from Harvard, he is slandered as an elitist and out of touch with real Americans... by millionaires who have had a grip on power in America for decades.

April 15, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  22. Sharon Minnesota

It's too late, the damage is already done. Hillary's adds are just more of the truth, Snobama's add is going to fall flat in light of his "real feelings" already expressed in San Francisco.

April 15, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  23. AJ, IL

The Clintons...Democratic Masters of the Politics of distraction and Personal destruction!

April 15, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  24. TK

Why is it that Hillary's ads always attack him, but his ads never do? May be because Hillary is bitter, bitter that an unknown senator is robbing her of the White House.

April 15, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  25. BMR, Pittsburgh PA

Jerry says, "Why is he always rebounding what she does or copying what she says? Why can't he come up with an original idea?"

Do you understand how politics works? If a candidate is winning an election, that candidate has no reason to initiate a negative attack. You only *respond* in the negative when you're winning. You only *attack* in the negative when you're losing. See how that works?

If Obama wanted to go negative, he'd have played up the illegals' drivers-license issue. He'd have run race ads with Bill Shaheen, Bill Clinton, Geraldine Ferraro, and Niall O'Dowd. He'd have screamed about the Bosnia issue. He'd have run ads with Mark Penn, Bill Clinton, Howard Wolfson and their PAID ties to Colombian free trade advocacy. He hasn't done any of that.

Now, contrast that to the 24 hours or so after the "bitter" comment hit. Clinton had: worked the comments into every stump speech she gave that day; convened a conference call of PA mayors who've endorsed her to "denounce" the comments; had "I'm Not Bitter!" stickers printed up to hand out in North Carolina; prepared a negative TV ad revolving around the comments; and gotten people introducing Bill Clinton in North Carolina to bring it up at every stump stop WJC made.

Now, WHICH candidate is negative?

April 15, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |