April 15th, 2008

New Obama spot responds to Clinton ad

Clinton and Obama have traded negative ads this week.
Clinton and Obama have traded negative ads this week.

(CNN) – Less than a day after Hillary Clinton’s campaign released an ad that said voters were “insulted” by Barack Obama’s recent remarks about some small-town Americans, the Illinois senator’s campaign released a new Pennsylvania spot Tuesday that says people are “rejecting Hillary Clinton’s attacks.”

The 30-second ad opens with some members of a Pennsylvania crowd reacting badly to Clinton in Pittsburgh Monday when she said “I know that many of you, like me… were disappointed by recent remarks that [Obama] made.”

Says an announcer, “There's a reason people are rejecting Hillary Clinton's attacks. Because the same old Washington politics won't lower the price of gas or help our struggling economy. Barack Obama will represent all Americans. He offers a new approach….”

Obama himself adds: “When we get past the politics of division and distraction and we start actually focusing on what we have in common, there's nothing we can't accomplish…”

Filed under: Ads • Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton
  1. anthony for hillary

he said, he meant it and now he back tracks away from it.

can this guy be trusted?

April 15, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  2. kathleen for Obama

Yes, she would rather McCain to win instead of her own party.
    I know 'elitists' when I see them and Obama is NOT an "elitist.
    "Bitter' is a NATURAL FEELING!!!! We have all probably felt that
    feeling at one time or another in our life. Unless, of course you
    are an "elitist". Rich people don't feel bitter, because they don't
    have anything to feel bitter about. Young people don't know bitter
    yet, unless of course, they felt the pain of their parents losing
    a job, and the government promised more jobs were coming
    and they never did. "bitter" is not a word that Politicians are
    used to hearing. Obama tapped into the people's hearts.
    American people are the most wonderful, caring, resiliant
    people on earth. But we cannot deny that we have felt bitter
    at on time or another. But Americans make the best of the
    best. with their lives. We feel bitter sometimes, we accept
    it and we move on. That does not remove the shame of the
    Politicians that put us on the spot!!!!!!

April 15, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  3. Nanc, MN

Obama, I have nothing in common with you, thank god! To have something in common would to be part of your unbalanced group of supporters.

They are vile, vicious, vacuous and vapid. Give me any other letter of the alphabet and I can do the same thing.

I will note vote for the leader of this nasty group for all the money in the world.

April 15, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  4. Armon

Senator Obama is a smart man, and I think he handles all of this controversy well. Senator Clinton knows that her campaign is in shambles and will go to any length to further berate Senator Obama. I find it reprehensible, and outright childish. She and her campaign should be ashamed of themselves.

April 15, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. tampa florida

Paul,
    Obama did apologize, FYI.
    The point is Hillary has a weak attack. She never talks about issues. Just tries to get one up on Obama. Guess what? It's not working.

April 15, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  6. Kimberly in Texas

Great ad...you have got my vote Senator Obama!

April 15, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  7. Russell, NC

Hillary is desperate, desperate, desperate

April 15, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  8. Tanya K

Obama is the divises one. He can not win against McCain since he has divided the Democratic party. A large majority of us will indeed jump ship if he is the Democratic nominee and vote for McCain.

April 15, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  9. tampa florida

Paul,
    Obama did apologize, FYI.

Jerry,
    You are a tool. Copying? WTH are you talking about.

April 15, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. D.Kimbro OHIO

Hillary Clinton is not the answer. She can't figure out an effective strategy for her campaign, how can we expect her to lead a nation. I guess we are getting accustomed to telling lies on anyone who challanges us. Seven years and 4k + lives later we have already seen this act before. Voting for Hillary would be like a 3rd Bush term. Yes I said it. The lying has got to stop.

April 15, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. Eric C

I stand by Obama 100% on this.

If you would have sat in the fundraising speech in San Fransisco you would have thought NOTHING of the comments he made then... With the help of the Clintons and the media hype machine they have turned this into something it is not.

He has apologized for the unfortunate wording of his comments, but they remain true, so he rightly stands by them.

I am among those who think this is going to hurt Hillary. People are already seeing her attacks as "more of the same" political tactic, and this ad highlights that.

I don't understand Clinton supporters think it is right for a candidate to give a fake apology for political purposes... While politically unfortunate, the comments he made are 100% FACT.

The implication of what he said wasn't theat Penn.. is filled with bitter people who only have faith because of it... He was saying they are bitter with the government that has turned its back on them. They turn to ISSUES regarding faith and immigration and guns, in absence of the real issues because they have no hope for them.

Don't twist his words, it makes you look bad, and it is going to hurt Clinton, big time... I can't wait for the debate, where Obama can and will school her like every other 2 v 2 debate they have been in.

April 15, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  12. Bitter Allen Hissein from Visalia

Nice reponse Obama. The polls are showing that Billary's puffing up of the "bitter" non-issue is backfiring.

April 15, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  13. Tired of Idots

Well Hillary looks like yet another failed attempt to attack Obama on nothing that matters. Give it a rest. You think we're stupid but we're not. They reign is over. New look for the White House nd it's called "TRUTH" I know those walls haven't seen or heard it since Carter.

April 15, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  14. John

People try so hard to pin stuff to Obama. I'm dissapointed in people's ability to read into things for themselves.

April 15, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  15. Susan S.

YAY! Go Obama – very glad to see him stop being Clinton's punching bag.

The irony is, Clinton is hurting herself – and the Democratic Party – more than she is damaging him. She is a better person than that – she needs to clean up her act.

Democrats in 2008!

April 15, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  16. Pika

give it up hillay!

April 15, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  17. North Carolina

What a load of BS. He made sure 2 states get no vote at all and then sets his supporters to tell Clinton to withdraw which would rob 8 states and 2 territories of any choice of candidate, and then he says this??? WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD I PROFESS ALLEGIANCE TO A PARTY THAT DOESN'T THINK ALL ITS MEMBERS DESERVE A VOTE? My vote is my most important right: Obama will not take it away, I will vote for McCain if Clinton is not on the ticket. And so will any American.

April 15, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  18. leon PA

PA, WOULD YOU LIKE TO HERE THE TRUTH OR WOULD YOU LIKE HILLARY LIE TO YOU FOR FOUR YEAR THINK PA.

April 15, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. Pika

give it up hillary!

April 15, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  20. A TYPCAL WHITE PERSON

WELL, WELL, looks like we have some self hating going! He himself is bringing it out ! Ha lol....... It's all coming out little by little!!!!!!!
    HELLO HILLARY 08

April 15, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. Its True

Obama!!! 08

NOT THIS TIME HILLARY ROVE! STOP SWIFT BOATING!

Don't let her get away with anything. I love that he responds quickly to her Republican tactics. I mean Hillary was a Young Republican in college. I guess she still holds on to some of those convictions.

April 15, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  22. Tejano

This is your life Barak Obama. Born of a poor atheiest white mother and a poor immigrant black father from kenya, I worked my way through school picking pineapples in Hawaii. The work was hard and tedious. So I decided to move to America and become a community organizer in Chicago. The opportunity came to me to attend law school and through grants and scholarships I graduated and became an attorney. In two years I made over 1 million dollars and put another million dollars in my wife's account from my dealings with a good buddy. My good fortune and charm got me past the Illinois voters and I became theri Senator. When I go there I realized that I wanted to be President, so I began my campaign to be President before anybody else knew about me.
    I bluffed my way through the primaries and got their attention, but this stupid White woman named Hillary wouldn't shut up and my pastor
    Rev. Wright shot his mouth off and I then had to fight for every vote.

April 15, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  23. Not sleeping at the switch

Hey CNN I just noticed that you hotlinked Hillarys Mudslinging ad about Obama directly to the ticker. All of her supporters could see it without Hillary having to pay ONE cent for distribution to Millions of eyes.

I also noticed that you DID NOT give Obama the same courtesy.

Care to 'splain that???

April 15, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  24. Obama the Great Deceiver

yea, Barack, blah , blah, blah, all talk. You are the same politics in a new suit and thats all.

April 15, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  25. we ARE bitter!!!!!

YUP! you tell 'em barack!

April 15, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |