April 15th, 2008

Obama dons flag pin once again

CNN

Watch Sen. Obama in Washington, Pennsylvania Tuesday.

WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania (CNN) –- For the first time since a mini dust-up back in October, Democrat Barack Obama wore an American flag pin Tuesday at a town hall meeting with veterans in Pennsylvania.

But he didn't show up wearing the pin–instead, a Vietnam era veteran presented it to him on the ropeline as Obama made his way to the podium at the start of the event.

"I was just handed this," Obama said. "It's a flag pin. I think I'll go ahead and put that on."

He then did just that.

"I appreciate your service," Obama told Philip Fiumara, Jr., a Vietnam era veteran and undecided voter, according to the campaign.

"Thank you so much. It means a lot coming from you, and we are grateful to you."

This is the first time Obama has worn a flag pin on his lapel since it was widely reported last fall that he had stopped wearing one.

At the time, Obama said, "My attitude is that I'm less concerned with what you're wearing on you lapel than what's in your heart. You show your patriotism by how you treat your fellow Americans, especially those ones who serve."

1. Fran

This is true Obama politics. All of you Obama supporters have been snowed by him. He claims not to play "old politics" and he wants change. But, when all is said and done, he will kiss every baby on the campaign trail to win this election. He wants change alright, but not for us. He wants to change to rules of how everything works to fit his needs of the moment. He is out for himself and he will do and say anything to get what he wants.

April 15, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  2. Reality check #1

Hmmm... wonder what Mama Obama thinks of that, her husband showing pride in America and wearing a pin?

The news from the Rezko trial was not good for Obama today. Seems as though Obama said he had never met Nadhmi Auchi, the trial put Obama at a fund raiser at Rezko's house with the guest, none other than Nadhmi Auchi. The Obama lies just keep coming, wonder what a friendship reunion for Obama would look like?

April 15, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  3. Sure

"I was just handed this,".. I smell something, I think it's called pandering!
    Time for the ves vote. he's gotta look like he cares.

April 15, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  4. Tim Weiss

For those of you who start screaming how "unpatriotic" he is for not wearing the flag, I advise you to pay attention and you'll notice MANY MANY politicians DON'T wear flags either. This includes Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and the " most patriotic of them all," George Bush.

April 15, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  5. fair tax in la.

YOUR TOO LATE OBAMA!!
    HOW DO SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE YOUR LIES IS BEYOND ME?

April 15, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  6. Florida

Now that is a pin that has meaning.

April 15, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  7. rachel

figures he would. yet people jump on hillary for accepting a drink but everyone will lap this up from Obama and it wont cross their minds that he is doing it for show just like people claimed hillary was.

April 15, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  8. patty

Barrack Hussien Ombamba wearing an American flag pin, how ironic, I guess he will do anythingg to get votes. Barrack, why now? Are you afraid of loosing? or do you just enjoy wearing the pin to try and show you are a true American? Well that won't get my vote, and I a true American everyday, not just on days I want ti impress an audience. Go back to where you came from.

April 15, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  9. JAZZ

It appears he is willing to say what people want to hear at the time and do things he doesn't believe in to win the nomination. Some people can't see the forest for the trees. The rest of us are Hillary supporters.
    Be a Real Democrat, Count ALL of the Votes!

April 15, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  10. Taylor

Another weird flip flop on obama's part for political purposes. I wonder fi anyone will ask him why the change in tone like in most things he has done.

April 15, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  11. nancy

What an honor for Barack to be given that pin. And he did the not surprising right thing, by putting it on his lapel. It was a very presidential move. Thank you Mr. President.

April 15, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  12. No Republicans in Whitehouse

If a vet handed me a flag pin I'd put it on. What do people expect him to do – put it in his pocket??? That would be an insult to the vet who gave it to him.

April 15, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  13. Action?

Tons of words.
    No action.

April 15, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  14. mary

How come comments against Obama hardly go through on CNN? I know this happens because I have tried to put comments through and they are thrown out. How many others are not posted?

April 15, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  15. Demo Craxy

Go Obama 08,
    the people is behind you and we support you no matter what the clinton machine throws at you or make up or what lies they say

Just Stand Up ..................

April 15, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  16. kathy in ohio

what a joke

April 15, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  17. julie MN

Well he sure showed us his patriotism, I think he's running scared. I would like to add,listening to the supporters of Obama on cnn,fox,ect, I have noticed 3 things, hate surrounds them, arrogance, and the inability to tell us what Obama has done for the good of the people. I wonder if his camp knows, OR is it because those are the kind of people he attracts?

April 15, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  18. Vig

I am convinced the only thing "changing" is Obama's behaviors when the pressure is on. When the pressure is off, there is no change and that's exactly what you can expect from him – really who is this guy anyway? Seems pretty hollow to me

April 15, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  19. Terry from NJ

Now he starts wearing the flag pin after all these months? How finally American of him. NOBAMA. He'll do say, wear, or do anything to fit it. HILLARY 08!

April 15, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  20. catmom

Just waiting for the Obama fans to come gushing about how great he is and how Presidential, fantastic, noble...while Hillariy is a liar, cheat and hates America. We won't hear from Obama fans how he just flip flopped on what he said about wearing a flag pin. What a croc of BS. This is just a way for him to seem patriotic after he dissed rural America. Typical politician, now look who is pandering.

April 15, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  21. tisha

Oh God has it really come to this cnn, I don't think that this is news. I will be so glad when this whole thing is over some of the stories about the race I read on here are about as ridiculous as PerezHilton.com

April 15, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  22. linda in illinois

good for you Obama you are right it means alot more coming from a vet. Not from Republicans or media brow beating you about it. That pin came with heart

April 15, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  23. garcia

i'm glad obama is doing, and the only ones that keep bringing the bitter is all the folks on cnn, hanaity and colms, . you can tell they do not like obama. they trash him everyday. go obama 08

April 15, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  24. Roger Ingram

CNN should be ashamed of the unmitigated bias toward Obama. Obviously slants every good thing to Obama and every questionable thing to Hillary. I really am beging to hate CNN

April 15, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  25. Vinny

he put the pin on a little to late.........damage has been done and he says Hilllary does whatever it takes for votes?

April 15, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |